The watch thread.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
And your shoes, another big item that people look at.
I'm terrible with this one. .. I hate buying shoes full stop... tend to make then last longer than I should (becauses I don't want to have to go to the shops to try some shoes on)... when I do take the plunge I get something good bit I hate having to try shoes on.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A $200 watch can do the same job as a $9999 or even $150000 (absurd!) watch. I just can't see any justification in a watch that costs in the thousands, it does not guarantee you accuracy. My watch is nothing fancy but keeps time perfectly. I only adjust the time two times a year (start and end of daylight savings) and it never noticeably drifts from the gps time . So, where does the extra money go in this old and easy to produce piece of equipment?
You're right in saying that a $200 watch (heck even your phone) does basically everything that a $500,000 one does. But to be honest, accuracy isn't the reason someone with the money buys an expensive watch. We have phones for that. For me it all comes down to craftsmanship. The fact you're wearing a largely hand made, hand decorated, and hand assembled piece of art makes it all worth the money. As well as knowing the fact a watch maker has put hours, upon hours, and in some cases even years of their utmost skill into making your watch. Rather than just being pumped out by a machine.

Having to spend five to ten thousand dollars just for a brand name on your wrist to impress others is pretty vulgar (and sad) in my opinion but each to their own.
Again to me this has extremely little to do with why one might buy a high end watch. Unless you buy a solid yellow gold Rolex, you're very unlikely to draw little, if any attention to the price of your watch. This is because a very small percentage of the population know the really expensive high end watch brands. To most, names like Patek Philippe and A Lange & Sohne mean nothing, despite the fact they make watches which cost anywhere from $20,000 to $5,000,000.

Literally yesterday I spotted a customer at work wearing a $40,000 Patek Philippe (I work at Anaconda mind you, so not at all somewhere flashy) and to be honest I can't imagine he ever really gets any compliments about it. Simply because most don't know who Patek Philippe are and he didn't flash it around and tell everyone its value. So to everyone it looks similar to many other $300 stainless steel sports watches. I imagine the only compliments he gets are from those who actually know what they're looking at.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I think the old standard here applies. The one that applies to bikes / motorbikes / cars / utes / 4WDS / watches/ shoes / clothes etc etc ... If you have to explain it they won't get it.

Where I work one guy just spent 12K buying a Skyline - Then spent 10k adding to the skyline - then spent 5k adding to the skyline. I asked him Why? one day and try as he might he couldn't make me understand. IF i try to explain Motorbiukes to him he doesn't understand yet I would do the same for a bike not a car. Why do you think Jewelry and Art is so expensive and worth so much more than the sum total of it parts?

If you have to explain it ... they won't get it :)

rone

Eats Squid
I think the old standard here applies. The one that applies to bikes / motorbikes / cars / utes / 4WDS / watches/ shoes / clothes etc etc ... If you have to explain it they won't get it.

Where I work one guy just spent 12K buying a Skyline - Then spent 10k adding to the skyline - then spent 5k adding to the skyline. I asked him Why? one day and try as he might he couldn't make me understand. IF i try to explain Motorbiukes to him he doesn't understand yet I would do the same for a bike not a car. Why do you think Jewelry and Art is so expensive and worth so much more than the sum total of it parts?

If you have to explain it ... they won't get it :)

Hey! Minlak's back! Oh yeah - watches and shit.

John U

MTB Precision
I'm terrible with this one. .. I hate buying shoes full stop... tend to make then last longer than I should (becauses I don't want to have to go to the shops to try some shoes on)... when I do take the plunge I get something good bit I hate having to try shoes on.
Spend whatever it costs and buy some resoleable shoes made out of kangaroo leather. If you look after them they should look after you for years with the occasional resole, and they only ever look better and get more comfortable with age.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Spend whatever it costs and buy some resoleable shoes made out of kangaroo leather. If you look after them they should look after you for years with the occasional resole, and they only ever look better and get more comfortable with age.
Bollocks! Wore a hole in my roo leather RMs that couldn't be fixed. Lasted 18 months.

John U

MTB Precision
Bollocks! Wore a hole in my roo leather RMs that couldn't be fixed. Lasted 18 months.
I bought some roo leather shoes about 10 years ago. I don't wear them every day but I'd probably wear them once a week. They get oiled up with Dubbin or something similar before the leather gets dry. They have been resoled twice. The leather still looks as good as new.

Did you look after them? I don't know your situation but 18 months might be good for a pair of boots that cop an absolute flogging. I'd be disappointed if my boots wore out that quickly but they haven't.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I did a very very girl thing today, I went shoe shopping!

3 hours and 6 pairs later, cost me a grand total of $90! All from Rivers. Not the same league as my RMs or Scarpas but who cares. As long as I don't have to buy another pair for 5 plus years I'm happy.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
And yes, high end watches are about craftsmanship, status and man jewellery, though not always together.

You may not "get it" or agree with it, but now you know what high end watches are about.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I did a very very girl thing today, I went shoe shopping!

3 hours and 6 pairs later, cost me a grand total of $90! All from Rivers. Not the same league as my RMs or Scarpas but who cares. As long as I don't have to buy another pair for 5 plus years I'm happy.
I fucking hate you.

That $90 is just what they need to pay for another 40 despair-inducing Rivers ads that will saturate commercial TV whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be watching it.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
I fucking hate you.

That $90 is just what they need to pay for another 40 despair-inducing Rivers ads that will saturate commercial TV whenever I'm unfortunate enough to be watching it.
Actually all tolled it was $200, 6 pairs of shoes, 2 shorts, 3 L/S shirts, 3 S/S shirts, 3 socks, 1 belt and a partridge in a pear tree, all for $200, sweet!

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Just bought this for the better half, ladies Omega Constellation. The pen is a Waterman Heritage if anyone is interested.

Iphone photo post processed using Snapseed, pretty sweet (free) app.

OmegaConstelation-small.jpg

ozmanick

Likes Dirt
Checkout the "Mutewatch", I've been looking at them for a while being tempted to try them out but have never been able to justify it. They're not the prettiest things but they're functional.
http://mutewatch.com

By the way, has anyone had any experience with the 666 Barcelona range? Their Under Pressure series has an unusual face on it that I'm quite keen on.

binner

Hath shat hymself
just looking

I'm not a watch guy, my Mum gave me this when my Dad passed away. It was given to him when I was born by my grandparents. I only just pulled it out of my draw and just did a quick ebay troll......
Can any of you watch guru's give me a real idea of its value. I won't be selling it, but am keen to get an idea of its value.

Attachments

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Probably in the area of 500-600 dollars, if it had the 20mm steel bracelet then be anywhere from 1500to 3k. Sentimental value would outstrip it's money value.