NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did anyone else go? I was there from 4-5:30pm and they decided to run a session during that time. I raised mtbing on the Coast Track and it was discussed very politely by those present. I thought comments made were very balanced and that it could be a possibility. It is certainly a cheaper option than some other suggestions and could work with some other points about trail design, trail diversions, volunteers.

barron

Likes Dirt
can see some

Good to see you Grant, Sorry I couldn't chat longer. Next time perhaps.
Thanks for representing guys. Wasn't aware of the meeting.
Its pleasing to hear there was at least openness to MTB community input. Can only think there are benefits to both groups from working together. Eg: Impoved access and loop options for MTB's, increased usage supporting trail development and infrastructure for walkers.

Lets hope it can turn in to more than talk. Will try and be present next time too.

Thanks again.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Maintenance time again! Since last month was cancelled and we've had some decent rain, I'm imagining there is a bunch of stuff that needs attention.
Unfortunately I haven't ridden since February so don't have any first hand info. All the itms that Mark/Halo raised previously are probably still relevant. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

markb84

Likes Dirt
Can you confirm that we're meeting at the usual spot? What time? I'll be there.
I think the first priority is the bottom of the valley where the trail crosses the creek. This gets worse by the day.

1. We need to get water off the trail to both sides and stop the trail being the fall line as it currently is (the south side is worse because of the relative lack of rock armouring in comparison to the north side and the fact that there's a fairly long straight section before it.
2. The current logs, etc need consideration and work. If they are to stay then there need to be better corralling features and better armouring to make the route more appealling to novice riders.
3. Once it's all riding properly repair and reclaim the b lines.

Next is the rock garden at the top of the south side descent, there's a nice big dip just before it which puddles, that kind of goes against the purpose of the rock garden. Also a lot of people are going around the rocks. Suggest the following:
1. Corralling features on both top and bottom to make the rock garden the better line.
2. repair and reclaim the b line around the rock garden, make it look unappealing to ride.
3. Fill the gap between the roller and start of rock garden.

I notice that a jump has magically appeared just before the log roll half way down. Not only has it not been approved but it's a badly built jump in a stupid position with no transition to land on. This should be destroyed. It's not far from the rock garden so the recovered materials can be barrowed up there or down to the creek.

Last edited:

abevern

Likes Dirt
I've just called Ranger Andre to confirm running. Expecting a call back this afternoon. From dcrofty's previous comments I'd be surprised if it wasn't on. If it is on, it'll be usual place, usual time.
Chasing up the rangers has been on my todo list all week, and this morning I realized it was Friday. My bad on that.
***update****
Day is confirmed.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Raining very heavily here. Anyone else still thinking of heading out?

I'll go for a walk in the rain and do drainage if others are keen.

Wildchild426

Likes Bikes
Hey, I've just transitioned here from another thread at someone else's recommendation. There was the suggestion of possible build/maintenance days to be scheduled on a weekday rather than a Saturday (as one off's or regular). Saturday mornings are difficult for me to get there, so I'm just putting forward my willingness to be part of such a team if one is to ever happen.

Cheers.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
So if the Rangers are cool with it who would be around perhaps this thursday or friday for some trail love?

Couple of disclaimers
-if you haven't been before I'll have to take you through some paperwork-will make it quick.
-if the weather holds out I might have to go to a Hazard reduction burn and pull out of this at the last moment- we shall see.

anyway- who is keen?

NullaTroy

Likes Bikes
Crofty...

If people have completed the paperwork can they just go by themselves and do maintenance on approved trails....or is supervision always required ??

troy

markb84

Likes Dirt
So if the Rangers are cool with it who would be around perhaps this thursday or friday for some trail love?

Couple of disclaimers
-if you haven't been before I'll have to take you through some paperwork-will make it quick.
-if the weather holds out I might have to go to a Hazard reduction burn and pull out of this at the last moment- we shall see.

anyway- who is keen?
Not this week unfortunately, way too much on at work.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm free thursday and friday mornings. I'll keep an eye on the thread.
At this stage I am free Thursday morning for a few hours.

Also if a ranger is not available midweek to supervise trail work then maybe we could organise some rides to discuss what needs to be done on the trail. We could look at ideas for other sections to the creek bit that needs soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much work.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Crofty...If people have completed the paperwork can they just go by themselves and do maintenance on approved trails....or is supervision always required ??troy
Troy. I sent you a PM

I'll make enquiries first thing tomorrow about whether we can arrange something for Thursday morning.