NSW Trail Maintenance - Royal National Park

Wildchild426

Likes Bikes
At this stage I am free Thursday morning for a few hours.

Also if a ranger is not available midweek to supervise trail work then maybe we could organise some rides to discuss what needs to be done on the trail. We could look at ideas for other sections to the creek bit that needs soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much work.
I suggest elevated log ride :wink-new:

markb84

Likes Dirt
At this stage I am free Thursday morning for a few hours.

Also if a ranger is not available midweek to supervise trail work then maybe we could organise some rides to discuss what needs to be done on the trail. We could look at ideas for other sections to the creek bit that needs soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much work.
If it was somewhere else I'd be pushing for a bit of woodwork to go in at the base of the trail over the creek, seeing as water is seaping out of the ground at the bottom there I'm worried that no amount of work is going to completely resolve the issues. So a nice easy flowy ladder bridge with some big old corralling rocks at each end (to stop people bombing over it at 342Kph) would resolve the issue. I think however it'll most likely not be a well received concept by the park, though you're in a better position to comment Crofty?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Thunderbirds are go

OK its all on for tomorrow. Spoke to the Ranger in charge of Vollies and she was very excited by the idea and we have the OK of the Area Manager.

So lets meet in the carpark of the Royal NP office tomorrow morning. (Office is at 159 Farnell Avenue Royal National Park - google maps shows it well).

Plan is I'll meet people who have to do paperwork at 9 and we'll head out about 9:30.

Bring your favourite tools if you want, otherwise Parks will supply some. Bring a hat, drinking water, good shoes and clothes that can get dirty. I'll supply sunscreen and first aid kit.

Our work days usually go for about 3 hours but that's flexible on how people feel on the day.

I have attached 2 NPWS forms for new volunteers- I will have hard copies tomorrow but if anyone gets time to print them and fill them in beforehand it will mean less admin and more trailwork.

Standard thing is that the vollies on the day pretty much determine where works get done so have a think about where you would like to do works. I should say that we will only be working on authorised trails and in line with the park requirements for trails so massive gap jumps are out sorry.

otherwise, post here if you are planning on coming so I know whether to wait for people or not. My mobile is 0449 oo7 888 if you are running late and I'll see you at 9am tomorrow.

One last thing- as mentioned if I get called in to go to a HR burn tomorrow I'll have to cancel at last minute but at this point everything looks good

Crofty

Attachments

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Sorry I'm a bit 50:50 ... but if I make it I'll be there at approx 9.45 to 10ish

Would it be possible for me to meet the person managing the PoM review ? can you intro me Crofty ?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Sorry I'm a bit 50:50 ... but if I make it I'll be there at approx 9.45 to 10ish

Would it be possible for me to meet the person managing the PoM review ? can you intro me Crofty ?
Sweet Al. Give me a shout on the mobile if we have headed in by the time you get here.

I will have a chat to the POM person and see if meetups are the done thing.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Sorry guys, I'm not going to make it; will definitely try to get to the next one. Hope you have a productive day :)

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Good day today, 5 of us all up and a very hardworking crew too, especially Geoff and Chris the rock luggers.

Set out to armour this boggy section that's a quagmire every time it rains and also to make it a little easier to get up on to the log roll over.

P5090150.jpg

Add lots of big rocks...
P5090153.jpg

And hopefully this will eliminate some of the boggyness and also make the log roll over less difficult to get up and over. Rock Lego looking good.

P5090155.jpg

It works!

P5090163.jpg

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good day today, 5 of us all up and a very hardworking crew too, especially Geoff and Chris the rock luggers.

Set out to armour this boggy section that a quagmire every time it rains and also to make it a little easier to get up on to the log roll over.

And hopefully this will eliminate some of the boggyness and also make the log roll over less difficult to get up and over. Rock Lego looking good.
Nice work. I suggested that needed doing when the log first went in! :)

Geoff is getting around and doing a lot of work!

abevern

Likes Dirt
All, unfortunately trail work tomorrow is cancelled due to a dearth of rangers. I've asked for a notification to be sent out to the mailing list - but haven't seen anything yet so thought I'd post it here.

Great work on the armouring last week guys - rode the section last night and it looks really good and rides well.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All, unfortunately trail work tomorrow is cancelled due to a dearth of rangers. I've asked for a notification to be sent out to the mailing list - but haven't seen anything yet so thought I'd post it here.

Great work on the armouring last week guys - rode the section last night and it looks really good and rides well.
Thanks for letting us know. I was looking forward to improving the rest of that section but it turns out I could not make it in the end.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Another one bites the dust

Hi All,

With a continuing shortage of rangers, the absence of the ranger in charge of the MTB trails and a clash with Menai trail works, there'll be no RNP Trail Maintenance this Saturday.
On the bright side, it means I can finally show up to a Menai day and lend a hand there.

Regular maintenance schedule at RNP should resume next month.

stinky 510

Likes Dirt
when is the next trail maintenance day in the RNP? i rode loftus a few weeks ago and it is shit out there! have been avoiding it since...

im free this sat morning if we can get a few out there and the rain holds off