Trump..... (The Sophistry Thread)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I don’t share your optimism for Trump’s base “simmering down”, because it hinges on the assumption that he’ll go away. He won’t. Someone made the point on the ABC the other night that Trump was previously president and the leader of a popular movement. He’ll still be the second of those after January, and he’ll still be the symbolic head of the GOP as a result because they rely on his personal popularity for votes. Even if we all get our wish and he ends up in prison, they’ll just see him as a Mandela figure.
I agree to a point but that's all hinging on him retaining the mantle of the tough talking, strong, anti-establishment asshole, rather than a diminishing, pathetic figure I think we've seen him sliding towards for months. Both his mental health and physical health are clearly - clearly - declining and he's in debt for hundreds of millions of dollars. Short of his court ordered release of his tax returns revealling personal love notes from Epstein I don't see any revelations of that damaging his support but the number of people close to him about to break ranks and unload all kinds of dirty laundry might. He might be able to crowd fund his way out of enormous debt but I just don't see how he's not going to end up looking pitiful.
It'll be Ted Cruz.
The saggy souffle does not rise again when it couldn't even rise the first time.

moorey

call me Mia
That is fucking gold.

I still remember being pleased that Trump got the nomination because I thought Cruz would be much worse. Idiot.
I was equally pleased, in that I thought Trump assured GOP a shellacking. Bigger idiot.
I miss Ben Carson the most...I know he's still there and being a chunt for Trump, but not making incredulous statements supporting slavery and pyramid grain storage.....

moorey

call me Mia
If only the great man Antonin Scalia was still with us. From memory, he opposed the 2000 recount as it cast unjustified doubt on Bush's legitimacy as president. I wish he was still alive to weigh in on this and say the same about Biden.
Has @Zaf departed already? Unlike him to not step in to defend the man he holds in such high regard. :(

moorey

call me Mia
In an article published by NPR titled "The Legal and Moral Issues of Drone Use", Amitai Etzioni, professor of International Affairs and Sociology at George Washington University, states that while drones have been successful in fighting Al-Qaida, and Taliban members, 24% of kills have been civilian casualties
No, 90% sounds about right, @Zaf

Absolutely no defence of Obama here, just sayin.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So Pompeo said today there I’ll be a "smooth transition to a second Trump administration". I’m not usually one for far out conspiracies, but do I smell a coup coming on?