Wc round 3, fort william.

morticus

Likes Dirt
Have to say it was awesome watching Connors style through the top section, kinda looked like Sam Hill a few years ago. He was killing it!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm watching the redbull reply now but all you get to see of each run is the first 5 seconds and the last 40 seconds, there's 4 mins of each run missing.

Is this all the race coverage there is to speak of? Hope not because this crap is not even worth watching.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow, what a waste of fucking time that is then.

Even the pre-race headcam run was sliced up so bad it was unwatchable.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They should only do the top 20 for the broadcast and maybe do a small highlight reel at the start for the previous riders, maybe that would free up sometime to get more of the track televised.

The footage from Saturday practice was 10 times more interesting.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Agreed.

Again, there was no aerial/drone coverage of the race but this time there was no rainforest canopy to get in the way of the shot.

I can also see heaps of spots at the top of the hill where one camera could catch a good 20-30 seconds of footage from the single position.

scblack

Leucocholic
I guess we have to be realistic about how many camera positions they are going to manage for a free webcam coverage. There'd be a heap of cameras needed to cover more of the 2.8km course.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I agree, however it was worse than the Cairns coverage. One camera at the starting ramp one part of the way down (that you only saw every so often) and then 5 at the finish line. So you see the first few seconds then the final 40 seconds of a 5 minute run.

With an aerial drone you could see much more of the run, vary the footage of the track and follow the rider down huge open sections, which this course had a lot of. Likewise, one better placed cam in the top section and you could have seen so, so much more of the race.

I understand that there are constraints in terms of funding, distance and time but I feel that what we see is probably the very least that possible. As I said even the headcam run, which you only need a single cam for and the footage is cheap as chips was butchered beyond recognition and didn't show the full course. Honestly, the work experience kid is in charge here and I'm pretty sure he's a half-wit too.

driftking

Wheel size expert
yeah I think this issue extends past us too, but also getting more people interested in the sport.
We need to find a way to really cover full runs, look maybe our best bet is not to do live coverage?
It is realistically the only thing that can give us good viewing to see most of the runs. Or increase the leave times by an extra minute would be good too.

There are obvious logistics with how to get coverage, the amount of cable you would need is just ridiculous, I am curious though from what it appeared at cianrs there was a cable per camera from the start point and for intervals.

Why cant we have a main cable that the others just plug into at points, with today's tech there has to be this sort of thing available.
Equally why can't we run a cam line or a few lines that follow the rider down, more coverage that way?

Have to say it was awesome watching Connors style through the top section, kinda looked like Sam Hill a few years ago. He was killing it!
connor is such a good rider, not sure why he hasn't pulled the results, he takes some good lines. He took a great line last year in leogang that no one else took and it was bloody quick too.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
snip

connor is such a good rider, not sure why he hasn't pulled the results, he takes some good lines. He took a great line last year in leogang that no one else took and it was bloody quick too.
Connor has awesome raw talent (nutcase) and IMO slightly more than Troy, but Troy has always been a very good racer ie not binning runs and handling expectation/pressure. I'm pretty sure Connor is a year behind Troy regarding WC racing experience but I think it's finally starting to click for him regarding the amount of training required to compete at the top level. As with all top level competition talent will get you to a certain point but you must work your ass off to get to the pointy end, his time is coming if he puts the hard yards in. It's been great over the last few years seeing both of those lads race locally and seeing their improvement to WC level.

So stoked TB finally won and Hill coming second, didn't get to bed until 5:30 as I stayed on and watched the F1, stoked with that result as well.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Connor has awesome raw talent (nutcase) and IMO slightly more than Troy, but Troy has always been a very good racer ie not binning runs and handling expectation/pressure. I'm pretty sure Connor is a year behind Troy regarding WC racing experience but I think it's finally starting to click for him regarding the amount of training required to compete at the top level. As with all top level competition talent will get you to a certain point but you must work your ass off to get to the pointy end, his time is coming if he puts the hard yards in. It's been great over the last few years seeing both of those lads race locally and seeing their improvement to WC level.

So stoked TB finally won and Hill coming second, didn't get to bed until 5:30 as I stayed on and watched the F1, stoked with that result as well.
yeah troy got in a year earlier, at home the competition between them is always high, troy has seemed to step it up quite a bit, but he has been with high tier teams his whole career, I'm not sure what the kona team do in terms of training and package but its clear troy has not only had a strong professional support system and training regime but his been mentored under the best. Conner definitely seems to be cracking on and improving his definitely got the raw talent, give him a bit more time under a heavy training routine and I think we may see him cracking those top spots hopefully soon.

I did the same, tried to have a sleep between the races but didn't manage to get any, didn't make for a very productive monday but was well worth it, the f1 race was amazing. day/night for the Aussies all around.