Training Log Wellsey's diet and training log.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Have kept up the riding, only missed yesterday, other than that have managed to at least do a couple of reps up the hill every day, along with some good trail rides and three 40-50k night loops also.
Awesome mate. I wouldn't be worried about a little bit of turkey :)

clance79

Likes Bikes
Hi mate have read through the thread- I don't think your eating enough protein or fat, fat supports a lot of important hormonal functions, makes you feel full and satisfied and most importantly tastes damn good!
when you are not engaged in endurance exercise ie longer than 10-12min and intense enough to make you pant then your body can generally maintain good energy levels with minimal carbohydrates. When your on the bike though your gonna need carbs cos you can't burn fat fast enough to support that level of energy output. I'm sure this is all known to you but when you eat carbs- smoothie 2 banana 2 green apple some dates etc- insulin is released into your bloodstream to shuttle the sugars into your cells, your muscles take what they need which isn't much then it starts geting stored as fat. Not only that though the process also encourages your cells to take up fluid which can make a person look a little puffy.

Now I'm not saying don't eat carbs as they a part of a well balanced diet but on days when your not in the saddle maybe hold back on the fruit and grain products, nuts, eggs, jerky all these things will keep you feeling full and without the insulin release from carbs (which also acts to facilitate fat transport and storage) your blood sugar will stay more stable= less hunger

"Eat meat, vegetables, some fruit, little starch and no sugar"

that is my 2c worth

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Allright, after a few dark weeks that we shall never speak of, I'm BACK with that extra new years determination.

Still sitting on 115kg even, haven't put anything on, but definitely haven't lost anything either.

Stay tuned for detailed updates.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You have inspired me. I have started counting calories and really watching what I eat for the first time in my life. I have lost about 4 kg in the last month.
Keep going.

indica

Serial flasher
Wellsey, last year I have gone from 105 to 95 to 98 to 92.....
Currently limiting portion size and exercising is what works for me.
Your smoothies are monumental.
1/2 the week I have 1/2 cup home made museli, 1/2 greek yog and 2 tblsp berries for brekkie. Salad for 1st lunch, bit of hot food for 2nd lunch - where I work we are fed lunch @ 11 am, dinner @ 3 pm - and a snack when I get home.
The other half I go eggs and sour dough, light lunch and whatever for dinner. Drinks loads and ride loads - 3 to 4 times a week.
Remeber it is okay to feel hungry, you do not have to feed when everyone says to eat.
Keep the protein up - beans are good. Nuts are good. Weet-Bix are shit, oats are good.
Sugar is fucked. Coffee no sugar is what I have. I also shun fruit. Dries apricots and dates are like eating spoonfuls of the suff.

Keep it up.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IMG_1569_zps29155deb.jpg

Weapon of choice for today's ride. Just a quick 10k spin with a mate.

IMG_1571_zps455df679.jpg

Tonight's dinner. Stir-fry veggies with chicken breast.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Food looks great! Can't go wrong with meat and veg. High protein, fibre, nutrients, healthy and tasty!

IMO a lot better choice then fruit as per your previous posts.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Food looks great! Can't go wrong with meat and veg. High protein, fibre, nutrients, healthy and tasty!

IMO a lot better choice then fruit as per your previous posts.
Still eating plenty of fruit, don't worry. I don't understand the fear of fruit? Sugars ain't sugars as they say; when was the last time you saw someone getting fat from fruit? If you're doing plenty of activity, you don't have anything to fear from natural sugars.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think fruit has its place for sure, especially pre-workout or early in the day but it has it's limits. If the rest of your diet is good with adequate amounts of protein and fats, then smash as much fruit as you want but keep in mind a banana is 100 calories, Oranges are 80 etc. etc. There is a difference in fructose vs sucrose for sure, but on a day by day weightloss point of things, it's no different.

No fear of fruit at all. Nothing better then a Banana or two before a big ride!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Still eating plenty of fruit, don't worry. I don't understand the fear of fruit? Sugars ain't sugars as they say; when was the last time you saw someone getting fat from fruit? If you're doing plenty of activity, you don't have anything to fear from natural sugars.
Hehe, there's a decent doco on obesity floating around on the net, one woman was eating 50+ oranges a day... she was morbidly obese. Moderation is still important - but a chunk of fruit a day for a active person can only be a good thing - especially if it is instead of fast food / junk food.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holding steady at 115, but have lost three inches off my waist, so I'm assuming I'm putting on muscle mass.

This weeks fruit -
83FC692C-9CD8-4709-820F-8F87242BC993-232-0000002E716C314A_zps92a64302.jpg

Typical lunch salad, usually with tuna, or rarely, smoked salmon, just as a treat.
D4411374-C9D1-483E-9795-D89C67ABFAAE-232-0000002E661B329E_zps31c633dd.jpg

What do you guys think about those cheap $100 dollar weight benches from Big W? Comes with 35kg of weights. Worth a go, or should I stick to body-weight exercises?

Dirtydan

Likes Bikes
Wow, fruit for an army.

Does anyone else think that's way too much fruit? Isn't the rule 2 servings off fruit a day. That's only 2 pieces of fruit, not an entire bag.

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
All that fruit makes me think of www.30bananasaday.com

Would avoid the BigW weight bench and weight set. Keep doing Body weight exercises, keep an eye on Gumtree and pick up something second hand as well as some weights and an Olympic Barbell.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All that fruit makes me think of www.30bananasaday.com

Would avoid the BigW weight bench and weight set. Keep doing Body weight exercises, keep an eye on Gumtree and pick up something second hand as well as some weights and an Olympic Barbell.
The 30 banana's a day people are a bit out there and militant in their beliefs, but they do have some good points.

Keep in mind that fruit isn't all for me, we are a family of four, and I will freeze about half of the banana's, so fruit for the week is a bit of an exaggeration I guess.

Typical fruit intake is 2 banana's for breakfast (smoothies take too long in the mornings), an apple or orange after my salad at lunch. Will still do a smoothie on the weekends, or before a big ride, but have cut down on their size.

Indica, if you note, I've not shed much in kg's but am pretty happy with the fact I've had to buy all new pants and shorts. Gone from 107/112 to 102/98.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
The 30 banana's a day people are a bit out there and militant in their beliefs
When I lived in Byron I met this guy at a cafe who preachd he was a fruitarian.
He would only eat fruit that the tree surrendered naturally, and not fruit that was picked, or purchased with money.
That night I ended up getting pissed with the guy and I bought him a greasy chicken satay kebab from Bay Kebabs. Dude smashed it like he had been stranded on an island for a year.
F&cking hippies.

Knut

Troll hunter
The only fruit he was after were the ones between your legs. He probably tells the story differently.

"He met this tourist from Tassie. Banged on about how hippy he was. Then had drinks paid for and proceeded to freeload dinner off you. At least it was chicken. Rather than lentils or some shit like that.

So he tried to take you home to bang you, but you were too pissed to understand. Then you went home with this hot chick from behind the bar. Fu@king tourists."

Last edited: