What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Caterpillar have an engineering design office in Tasmania???
Up to only a few years ago all Caterpillar underground trucks and loaders were built in Burnie, Tasmania.

They bought Dale Elphinstone out around 2000. His company started making underground equipment in 1974, Cat saw a good product and bought it.

The design and engineering side will be staying here, with around 150 people but all manufacturing is moving to Thailand by March next year.
C755957.jpg
C756093.jpg
C752274.jpg

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sort of relevant; the rise of machines and automation.

What are people's thoughts how this may affect your line of work?

I guess it's a sliding scale of efficiency but I'm referring to a human role that ends up being performed by a machine.

I'm basically being replaced by improved technology. Why pay several people when the work can be done remotely by a single person?

I can see the Retail Industry shedding large numbers of jobs for starters. Customer Self Service Point of Sale is an obvious opportunity to reduce costs.
Consumers already can research a product online and often simply buy from whomever can offer the best price. Perhaps 'customer service' may be come a thing of the past for a lot of retailers. Customers arm themselves with product knowledge and then buy online. No need to deal with sales people etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if more organisations begin to outsource functions to 'emerging economies'. Reason is they can pay employees much less but still offer candidates a very attractive package in their own country. I also think that organisations will look to use more and more part time and casual staff or contract staff to reduce costs associated with employing permanent full time staff.

I know of a person who has CAD files sent overseas and the code written for his CNC machines for a fraction of the cost that he would have to pay a person in Australia. He is also sending his drafting and technical drawing jobs overseas as well because of the cost savings.

Some industries will always require a human interface, like hospitality, but to me, there doesn't exactly seem to be many reasons to want to pursue a career in this industry.

Last edited:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I work in a servo, and some days it's a pretty good gig and others it's the worst (usually when I've been up late studying or drinking).

I enjoy working with everyone else in the store, have a good laugh at some of the characters that come in. Also most of the regulars are good for a yarn, so that also helps pass the time.
The job itself is pretty easy, and monotonous. Check these tanks at this time, tick here, sign here, put this here blah blah. But then when something goes wrong by fuck does the adrenaline kick in (had 2 of those incidents so far).

Wanting to leave as soon as I can though, but for what it is the pay is pretty swell for a uni student and they're pretty flexible about when we work and swapping shifts etc.

riz0

Likes Bikes
Dunno if there's any overlap here with mech eng, but a couple of mates are fire engineers and don't seem to have any issues with employment. Both have moved around a bit the last few years on their own terms. Sounds like the workload can get crazy busy from time to time though.
It's a sub branch of mechanical engineering, or maybe it is multidiscipline? I thought about getting into it before I even studied mech eng and then did some work for the Navy in this area for vac work. I just thought I'd be pigeonholing myself into an area with not many opportunities. Turns out I'm being pushed further and further away from mech eng as it is, so I probably should have stayed in this field. Hindsight is always awesome!

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'm basically being replaced by improved technology. Why pay several people when the work can be done remotely by a single person?

I can see the Retail Industry shedding large numbers of jobs for starters. Customer Self Service Point of Sale is an obvious opportunity to reduce costs.
Consumers already can research a product online and often simply buy from whomever can offer the best price. Perhaps 'customer service' may be come a thing of the past for a lot of retailers. Customers arm themselves with product knowledge and then buy online. No need to deal with sales people etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if more organisations begin to outsource functions to 'emerging economies'. Reason is they can pay employees much less but still offer candidates a very attractive package in their own country. I also think that organisations will look to use more and more part time and casual staff or contract staff to reduce costs associated with employing permanent full time staff.

I know of a person who has CAD files sent overseas and the code written for his CNC machines for a fraction of the cost that he would have to pay a person in Australia. He is also sending his drafting and technical drawing jobs overseas as well because of the cost savings.

Some industries will always require a human interface, like hospitality, but to me, there doesn't exactly seem to be many reasons to want to pursue a career in this industry.
Have seen a few reports in last couple of weeks indicating machines/automation will impact between 40-50% of known jobs in the coming decade. For joy.

On the outsourcing thing, that's pretty normal, our coy just did it big time (and the results are less than crystal clear), I say the pendulum always swings, esp for processes with costs associated with supply and demand. i.e you outsource because it's cheap, India/Philippines/where ever's processes, incrementally they then become popular & more developed (HR laws & regs, greater costs woth more sophistication), and costs associated with outsourcing there increase as well, and the value case diminishes, then some bright spark CEO says hey! there's more value if we bring the skills in house! And so the pendulum swings.

I work in property, more specifically retail for an AREIT

Is it a hit or a miss ? Its both, it can be very challenging in both a good way and a shit way. I guess its up to me to determine which will one will out weigh the other. Today, at least, I can see the positive and how I can learn and grow in this current role. Its not where I ultimately want to be career-wise, but lifestyle-wise it could be everything.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've done multiple stints in hospitality while studying (compatible hours). Cafes/restaurants and pubs when I was younger, more recently just pubs.

It can be really, really (really) fun, and some of the best mates I've made have been behind the bar, but f*** me does it seem take a toll if you want to make a career out of it. Just about everyone I've seen who works in the industry for a fair bit gets hit with serious mental health or substance abuse problems. Not making a generalisation of the entire industry, but that's certainly what I've witnessed.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've done multiple stints in hospitality while studying (compatible hours). Cafes/restaurants and pubs when I was younger, more recently just pubs.

It can be really, really (really) fun, and some of the best mates I've made have been behind the bar, but f*** me does it seem take a toll if you want to make a career out of it. Just about everyone I've seen who works in the industry for a fair bit gets hit with serious mental health or substance abuse problems. Not making a generalisation of the entire industry, but that's certainly what I've witnessed.
It seems like a lot of work for shitty hours and a basic living wage (plus tips depending upon the nature of the venue). Putting up with entitled customers, an increasing number who apparently seem to think they have the 'power' of social media to whine about how their needs weren't met and consider themselves Food Critics because they own a Thermomix and watch MKR or some other variant of the same theme. My brief time spent in hospitality, about 2 years starting as a 23 year old casual employed 3-4 nights per week as a second job, was working in a inner city hotel frequented by mostly by office workers. The experience put me off using alcohol. I had the universal experience of situations where booze made people obnoxious, crazy and eventually aggressive, and led me to the realisation that alcohol it is actually the very definition of a 'dirty' drug.

Maybe Hospitality offers better conditions in front end roles like Hotel Management or backroom support roles like Accounting, Events Co-ordination etc?

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Caterpillar have an engineering design office in Tasmania???
Cat was owned by a Tasmanian, Dale Elphinstone. Of Caterpillar Elphinstone. Went to school with my old man. shame that didn't rub off a bit…

I'm a sheetmetal tradesman, but been working in costruction for 5 years or so doing structural steel rigging/boilermaking. Like being on commercial sites, always new people, new challenges, rdo's, and I've never had a better work life balance. currently install power back up diesel generators and do all the fuel lines, exhaust lines, sound attenuation etc. Pretty interesting work, but am getting keen to work with cranes again. Might make the shift next year, hopefully get on to one of these 800 storey towers going up in Melbourne town.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
I make noise.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447977949.561701.jpg

Pros: I get paid to travel the world. Free holidays at the end. Get to hear lots of great music live.

Cons:
The random AF hours. I get to hear lots of shit music. Working 3 weeks straight at 14 hrs a day is sometimes classified as "normal."
The pay is woeful.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447978312.407466.jpg
I also do video. Lol.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I jsed to light things up.. And yep there's something really painful about totally random bump in/out times and lack of remuneration.. Lol

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
I'm a refinery operator. The pay is good, the hours are great (4 on 4 off roster in town), the work itself isn't bad but poor management make it painful.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Yeah mate, although its still going imo the boom has effectively been run and won. Think of one move after.
There are atleast 3 major residential towers that have just been greenlit and should commence next year. There will be years worth of work across them. 2 for docklands I think, not sure of the third. Can always count on delays though..