Whistler 2012

buffy

Likes Dirt
Hi Rob

I know you're smashing Whistler at the moment and won't read this until your return, but something to read when you're back.

I'm sure you're having the time of your life, Whistler is the best. I spent two weeks in the bike park last year over crankworx and a week after with a buddy.
Had the best time, The weather was amazing, the trails were perfect & my riding was getting better as each day passed.

Eventually all good things come to an end right, & we had to leave. Hauled our knackered bodies back to VIC & the DH trails
over here, with No lifts to help the old bones up the hill..
That's when the depression sets in. I'm sure it's now considered to be an actual recognized medical form of depression. I think it's called Whistler syndrome.
You'll be dreaming of perfectly formed berms, huge hits and of course our cuddly bear friends, but never fear it passes & it'll all seem like
an amazing dream.

Also a few weeks after my return, with my confidence sky high after smashing the hits on Freight Train at full speed.
Went riding at my local DH trails, & riding something that I usually wouldn't think twice about, I binned it & smashed in my pelvis, which let me tell you
hurts like a mother. This is why I've been out of action for so long, & I still get pains now and again.

Anyway, just wanted to say take it easy when you're back.

Mount Buller awaits this summer, & I'm sure there'll be a chair lift opening somewhere soon. Red Hill maybe??

Jonny.
totally understand this. but ive come to think its the realization that australia just sux. everything i enjoy is infinitely better overseas.

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
totally understand this. but ive come to think its the realization that australia just sux. everything i enjoy is infinitely better overseas.
Plus you are paying 5 times more for everything crappy you get here in Oz! Just awesome..... (sarcasm included)

chamboy

Likes Bikes
Don't hate..

Sorry I didn't mean to bag Aus..

Riding is riding!! Make the best of what you've got I say!
Although a chair lift for the whole summer would be nice wouldn't it??

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hi Rob

I know you're smashing Whistler at the moment and won't read this until your return, but something to read when you're back.

I'm sure you're having the time of your life, Whistler is the best. I spent two weeks in the bike park last year over crankworx and a week after with a buddy.
Had the best time, The weather was amazing, the trails were perfect & my riding was getting better as each day passed.

Eventually all good things come to an end right, & we had to leave. Hauled our knackered bodies back to VIC & the DH trails
over here, with No lifts to help the old bones up the hill..
That's when the depression sets in. I'm sure it's now considered to be an actual recognized medical form of depression. I think it's called Whistler syndrome.
You'll be dreaming of perfectly formed berms, huge hits and of course our cuddly bear friends, but never fear it passes & it'll all seem like
an amazing dream.

Also a few weeks after my return, with my confidence sky high after smashing the hits on Freight Train at full speed.
Went riding at my local DH trails, & riding something that I usually wouldn't think twice about, I binned it & smashed in my pelvis, which let me tell you
hurts like a mother. This is why I've been out of action for so long, & I still get pains now and again.

Anyway, just wanted to say take it easy when you're back.

Mount Buller awaits this summer, & I'm sure there'll be a chair lift opening somewhere soon. Red Hill maybe??

Jonny.
That really sucks about your injury and I can see how it would happen after smashing confidence-inspiring trails every day. As for the depression, I don't think I'm even going to put my bike back together until summer comes around and there are at least a few more options. Freight Train is the best, especially combined with No Joke at the top. Still can't quite get my head around that step-up onto the container, but I'm just being pathetic and I aim to commit to it fully tomorrow... It's just the pitch on that ramp, it feels like you would be heading into outer space...

I've not had any problems getting clean runs on any of the trails (except Crank It Up, which I only do as a warm-up) - apart from Saturdays there seem to be very few people riding at the moment.

buffy

Likes Dirt
Sorry I didn't mean to bag Aus..

Riding is riding!! Make the best of what you've got I say!
Although a chair lift for the whole summer would be nice wouldn't it??
mate dont apologise. its not our fault our parents chose the wrong country to raise us in. had i never come to whistler i would have never known what proper mountain biking should be like!

also be careful out there guys, my mate had a bad stack on a line last run of the day. he's a killer rider too so it can happen to any of you

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still can't quite get my head around that step-up onto the container, but I'm just being pathetic and I aim to commit to it fully tomorrow... It's just the pitch on that ramp, it feels like you would be heading into outer space...
Wait until you hit crabapple hits....

binner

Hath shat hymself
the crabs

Wait until you hit crabapple hits....
has crabapple grown again this season ? ...... I'm hunting around for a wild shot from 3 seasons ago with KRAM on the crabs, it's worth me trying to dig it up :cheerful:

The step up to the container is cool, just treat it like any other step up.It does look daunting when you are heading straight for a container but just look ahead of that. The scary one is the wooden berm into the blind wood gap kicker on ...... "I can't remember" . I'll hunt for a photo.......

But I think the scariest is coming round a blind drop and landing between a cub and it's mum, Berry and I dropped our rigs and ran like girls in total panic mode. Funniest but scariest time on the mountain I think :pop2:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone heading up from vancouver this weekend? Tonight? Tomorrow? I'm in need of a ride badly... Have gas money. I'm not TOO weird...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The step up to the container is cool, just treat it like any other step up.It does look daunting when you are heading straight for a container but just look ahead of that. The scary one is the wooden berm into the blind wood gap kicker on ...... "I can't remember" . I'll hunt for a photo.......

But I think the scariest is coming round a blind drop and landing between a cub and it's mum, Berry and I dropped our rigs and ran like girls in total panic mode. Funniest but scariest time on the mountain I think :pop2:
Yeah jumping onto the container was fine, I probably hit it faster than I needed too. What wasn't fine was dropping off the other end - I hit it way too fast, got too much air and nose-dived the bike... Managed not to go over the bars, only just...

Don't think I've found the blind wood gap kicker yet. Some sections of "Goats Gully" are scaring me a bit at the moment, as is the wooden ramp down into the rock garden on "Detroit Rock City" and the last part of "Tech Noir". So freakin steep! The awesome thing here is that there's always a new challenge.

Saw a bunch of riders stopped because a Bear and cub were hanging out in the middle of the trail they wanted to ride. Looked like they were in for a long wait unless they decided to hit up a much harder alternative way down.

rustysteel

Likes Bikes
Yeah jumping onto the container was fine, I probably hit it faster than I needed too. What wasn't fine was dropping off the other end - I hit it way too fast, got too much air and nose-dived the bike... Managed not to go over the bars, only just...

Don't think I've found the blind wood gap kicker yet. Some sections of "Goats Gully" are scaring me a bit at the moment, as is the wooden ramp down into the rock garden on "Detroit Rock City" and the last part of "Tech Noir". So freakin steep! The awesome thing here is that there's always a new challenge.

Saw a bunch of riders stopped because a Bear and cub were hanging out in the middle of the trail they wanted to ride. Looked like they were in for a long wait unless they decided to hit up a much harder alternative way down.
Rob, i'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this....... but i think you must have died on the plane ride over and you're now actually in downhill heaven sending posts from another realm...... sorry but it's the only possible explanation for these unbelievable stories of yours :rip:

Doggy

Inconceivable!

I had it happen to me last year when I was riding by myself one evening...came out of one section and was having a breather only to look over to a lovely bear sitting a wee bit too close to me just chilling out. I politely doffed my helmet to it and took off.....

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
5 more weeks!

Just got my Evoc bike bag to make transiting LAX easier, new tyres, brake pads, neck brace... So f*%$ing excited for this!

I'm going to struggle though, I haven't been on my bike for months! It's going to take me 2 or 3 days of just DM ans Crank It Up to get my muscles working again.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Hey Rob

How's the arm pump?
least of my problems at the moment, binned it massively going over the bars off a drop last night and took a little trip to the medical centre. possible broken scaphoid, reckon i would have broken ribs for sure if i hadnt been wearing armour. oh well, i've had 10 solid days of awesome riding and heading home soon anyway :)

Nautonier

Eats Squid
5 more weeks!

Just got my Evoc bike bag to make transiting LAX easier, new tyres, brake pads, neck brace... So f*%$ing excited for this!

I'm going to struggle though, I haven't been on my bike for months! It's going to take me 2 or 3 days of just DM ans Crank It Up to get my muscles working again.
the trick is not putting in too many hours a day, as tempting as it is. after going too hard for the first 3 days i started having 2 shorter sessions each day and alternated between steep slow tech trails and fast flow jump tracks to keep the arm pump under control. you'll have an awesome time, it's impossible not too with heaps of really good stuff opening up by the day in garbo. original sin/goats gully/black velvet/fatcrobat/too tight is my all time favorite garbo combo.

Loudvq

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know where I may be able to order a Ti spring there I need to buy one at some stage??? any suggestions