Whistler 2012

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I'm done... Broken wrist, stitches ans concussion on day 4. Heading home early. Was on a sweet run down A-Line, and overshot the last jump... Hadn't noticed the hip line to the right as an alternative, would have made a massive difference if i'd seen it earlier.

For all the sadists out there... Here is the chest cam of the run.
Jesus you're a tough motherfucker. Crash that big and not even a yelp, just get straight up and quietly clear the bike off the track.

Heal up soon.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh man, that was one serious high-speed wipe-out - you were absolutely pinning it. I guess 4 days in Whistler is still any riders dream, hope the recovery goes well and you can get back next year.

What is it about wrists this year??
They had an article on the wall about bike part injuries in the 2009 season, in that year they had ~160 shoulder injuries like collar bones, dislocations etc, and 109 broken wrists. It's by far the most common single injury every year.

Feeling pretty good now though, wrist only hurts when I forget that it's broken and try to pick something up, or hit it on something... Flying home tomorrow night now, getting back to Melbourne Friday morning. Time to rest up, then get ready for the state series.

Loudvq

Likes Dirt
I'm done... Broken wrist, stitches ans concussion on day 4. Heading home early. Was on a sweet run down A-Line, and overshot the last jump... Hadn't noticed the hip line to the right as an alternative, would have made a massive difference if i'd seen it earlier.

For all the sadists out there... Here is the chest cam of the run.

[video=youtube;WTp5kZMaflg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTp5kZMaflg[/video]
sorry i have to say this "hahahaha" only because i did exactly the same ting two days before i race airdh came in way too hot and couldnt hip to te right because of the speed. Ill post up the video as well because its exactly the same crash, for the record you can go from the last berm with no brakes until the last jump and you then you eat shit!
sorry too hear man only 4 days in too.

buffy

Likes Dirt
last day in whistler tomorrow. its been an amazing 3 months. got in 40 days riding + squamish and some xc.

made it to the other side without any major injuries which i am grateful for.

Hobzai

Likes Bikes
Home again. Disappointing trip from a park riding perspective. Had a piddling little dismount early in the trip and strained a bicep tendon on the same shoulder I separated a couple of years ago. Kristy at Whistler Physio did her utmost with all her magical machines, but I was only able to tiptoe down at 7/10ths every second day. Too tense on the bike, watching the front wheel - just pathetic.

Could have been worse; saw lots of people carted off the hill this year. Two bad ones we saw during our last day and my own high speed close call with a tree (did I mention too tense on the bike?) crossed the line from nasty coincidence to evil omen, so we called it early and packed up.

To the Aussie pinner we met on the trip home who smashed on Crack Addict; hope you heal up fast, mate. Same goes for you guys as well - at least you got to ride there; many don't ever get the chance.

Early September is SO WORTH taking a gamble on. After that last mental long weekend of school holidays, it's absolutely deserted. It rained all night Sunday and then it was sunny all week with zero lift line. It can go the other way and you can get rained out, but if the weather plays ball it's unbelievable. Something worth considering.

And see the Canadian Rockies. Icefields Parkway. Do it.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Hmm seems a lot of us came home broken this year. I broke my ankle on Ride dont slide on my 2nd last day of riding, certainly made for a fun filled adventure getting out of there but on the upside I got flown home business class instead. Way to go travel insurance:nod:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Crawled on my hands and knees to the bottom from the log drop after the log with ride dont slide written in it. Goooooood times indeed. The other two guys I was with took the bikes down and helped me where I needed help and were all round awesome. Took about 3.5hrs to get out down to Bay shores then rode up one legged to creekside (hooray for clips) then Nemo chucked me in his Ranger from there to the hospital.

Likes Bikes
Hey guys

I too just got back from whistler after an amazing trip, unfortunately i too came back broken. Thanks to hobzai for the company at the airport and the offer of help very grateful. Hope your arm heals up quickly. I went down on Crack Addict, I shattered my helmet got concussion , Fractured my arm and collarbone and have separated my shoulder. Injuries aside i had the best 8 days of mtn biking ever, I will definitely be returning. Amazing trails, spectacular scenery and awesome people. Great hospitals too haha. Also worth checking out Mount Washington too i only got one day there but the riding is first class.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
wow nightmare scenario. glad you got out ok.
Many ses search and rescues in stupidly silly terrain give me good practice for my own rescues :D Bandaged the ankle with my socks and shifted my knee/shins down for a bit more support. Alpine stars moab pads are reeeeeally good for crawling in if ever you feel the need

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last runs of the year this weekend!! Who's up there?

Dwayne Johnson is. That's who. Yeowww

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Last runs of the year this weekend!! Who's up there?

Dwayne Johnson is. That's who. Yeowww

Dont call it...I stupidly called last day of runs before Top of the world & RDS & breaking my ankle...I became that guy for whom the saying 'dont be that guy' is for :yell:

Whats worse is that I never ever call it...stupid curse

Viv92

Eats Squid
Dont call it...I stupidly called last day of runs before Top of the world & RDS & breaking my ankle...I became that guy for whom the saying 'dont be that guy' is for :yell:

Whats worse is that I never ever call it...stupid curse
You have to stare the curse down in the face doggy. Last run = race run.

Sanders.

Likes Dirt
My last run for 4 months managed to be Fantastic to Dwayne Johnson to Afternoon Delight to Tech Noir to the first 2 corners of HOD then topping everything off with the GX course. Such a sick season, will definetely be returning next year for a similar season!

Doggy

Inconceivable!
You have to stare the curse down in the face doggy. Last run = race run.
Seeing as how I am still incapacitated from my last run I'd say it didn't work out all that well.....but I did survive my first day though :p

binner

Hath shat hymself
fly high

looking at Van again ...has anoyne flown with Delta airlines?...real cheap at the moment but a lil worried about their fleet of aircraft.................. just want to know how they stack up against air nz /virgin... the delta crew allow two 23 kg bags which is cool

aligogs

Likes Bikes
looking at Van again ...has anoyne flown with Delta airlines?...real cheap at the moment but a lil worried about their fleet of aircraft.................. just want to know how they stack up against air nz /virgin... the delta crew allow two 23 kg bags which is cool
i just booked last night with air nz.. they've got a sale on at the moment. i got vancouver return in june with 23 kg extra baggage (46kg total each way) for just under 1800AU. Bargain!