VIC Wombat 100 / Woodend / 22nd April 2012

fergo

Likes Dirt
Did you put your hand up for that job Ferg? You have wheel sensors on both your MTB as well as on your roadie?
As of tonight, apparently you and Paulie did it on the weekend. They're using your strava data I think. Jimmy is also going to double check it Sat morn.

MJG

Likes Dirt
freemeteo's a fickle forecaster...it's now saying Thursday 0.1, Friday 13.5 (from mid morning to late afternoon...pity the poor course markers), Sat 0.3 (at night), Sun 0.0 mm. Race day temps 10 - 25 C. Very light easterly winds. There will be a few puddles here and there, mostly on the main Wombat track, but nearly all will be avoidable. It'll dry up quickly with these temps.
The forecast keeps on improving (freemeteo again):
Fri 0.4 mm possible in the morning then sunny
Sat 2.8 mm in the late evening (sorry campers)
Sun 0.2 mm before/during race start, nil until say midday, then 1.2 mm. Bring a brolly or raincoat for the presentations.
Race day temps 12 - 20 C.

Time to get excited.

DHoffmann

Likes Bikes
Had a bit of a ride there this arvo, had no idea there was a race on or anything. With the exception of 3-4 tiny muddy patches on the general use main track it's absolutely bone dry and it's dried a fair bit since last Saturday already, so if there's no rain leading up to the weekend it'd be perfect for everyone.

Marx

Likes Dirt
I hate mud, but i don't want to be loading my bike back onto the car rack at the end of the day looking like I've just ridden to the shops.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Good looking profile for the 50km...

EDIT.. I like that estimated time, I now have a goal.
I'm riding it tomorrow to check its marked correctly so I'll compare my time. The 2009 winner was 2 hrs 31 mins. The course was very similar to this years. Good luck with the 2:13:00!!!

rockymountain_ltd

Likes Dirt
Radar looks ok up Woodend way. A couple of mm isn't going to hurt today.
Out of towner doing the 100km for the first time and Trying to work out what tyres to use - I have race kings or maxxis beavers-pretty much either end of the spectrum. How much rain should I expect to see? Do I need mud tyres? Will the track turn to toothpaste after a couple hundred riders go over it? ANY info to help me get through the day would be greatly appreciated!

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Out of towner doing the 100km for the first time and Trying to work out what tyres to use - I have race kings or maxxis beavers-pretty much either end of the spectrum. How much rain should I expect to see? Do I need mud tyres? Will the track turn to toothpaste after a couple hundred riders go over it? ANY info to help me get through the day would be greatly appreciated!
Hey mate.. I've ridden Woodend from extremely dry to mudfest, I do not believe an overly aggressive tire is required in any conditions out there, a nice XC tire does the trick perfectly. I'll be racing on NanoRapters wet or dry, that tire rolls well and always hooks up on the Woodend trails.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
I'm riding it tomorrow to check its marked correctly so I'll compare my time. The 2009 winner was 2 hrs 31 mins. The course was very similar to this years. Good luck with the 2:13:00!!!
Can you post up your GPX of the course when you finish? I'd like to make sure the "course" in my Garmin is the correct one.

Thanks!

fergo

Likes Dirt
Was thinking this as I rode the 50k course today. Racing Ralphs or (dare I say it) Crossmarks would be close to spot on. Rocket Rons and NN are way overboard. The course was dry and my legs are tanned from the dust, not mud splats. Melb was in thick fog this morning at 6:30 but Woodend was beautiful clear skies. What I rode of the first 100 last thurs, RR or crossmarks would also be good. Maybe a RoRo.

Here is the strava ride. http://app.strava.com/rides/7080787 Look in the comments for obtaining the gpx.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was thinking this as I rode the 50k course today. Racing Ralphs or (dare I say it) Crossmarks would be close to spot on. Rocket Rons and NN are way overboard. ...
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :) Things got pretty slippery out there in the morning...

Thanks to all the volunteers and the organisers for their valuable work.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The course was dry and my legs are tanned from the dust, not mud splats.
Were we riding the same track as you Andy? :) I was caked in mud at the end of the race! Actually took a spill just after I saw you - Slipped into a pool of mud, thankfully I landed in mud so only the ego was bruised!
On reflection the race was fun event and I am glad I made the call to do it - a good combination of singletrack, fast descents and climbing - great work to all those who contributed to the event.

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
Just back home showered and about to have my nana nap.... A great day, despite the rain, the trails were great! Only my second 50km race but smashed the last time and felt great st the end. Massive thanks to the organizers and especially all the volunteers, they did a great job! Bit of ice on a big bruise/cut thanks To a stack in the mud, but loved every minute of it!

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Great event! I hope someone who did it on a CX bike posts their experience, I can't imagine it would have been easy.

Last edited: