You Yangs MTB Park

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Track 13

Take caution as i have changed the lip on the big jump in the middle of the track, i also made the smaller jump a lot more noticeable with more lip.:)

thanks Dave

Staunch

Eats Squid
Was out there today having a late arvo sesh with a mate, loved the changes to Cressys. The new berm at the start is sooo good, heaps easier to hold speed compared to the old one, and the double is the middle is a lot better now too :)
Can't wait for the race next weekend, think I'm going to rock some HT pride :p

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haven't been out to You Yangs since last year, its really changed; a meca for mtbing, brilliant job on track 14/13 everywhere seems to have been fun enhanced for just killer mtbing (I'm a Cross County but sure Downhill is just as brilliant).

Anyway, track 13, almost the perfect high speed downhill, we also climbed up it early, seems the only climbing lines are also the downhill lines, reckon there could be a chance of a collision, I know we all keep an eye out for each other, but the rocky section climbs etc, put you right into the middle of the track. Would hate to lose the climb, is there someway of tweaking a climb line on 13 (don't get me wrong would rather go down... but you know).

I know plenty of experienced riders will say keep an eye out and off the course when someone's coming - I don't have a problem with that, but newer riders may not be as vigilant.

fastrider_cam

Likes Bikes
cressy's climb or cressy's DH?

Love the track but sooner or later someone is going to collect a XC rider riding up cressy's "climb" and cause serious injury. Guys...... in the name of safety do everyone a favour and make it a DH only track. Was out there on the w/e doing a few practice runs and nearly copped a triple chain ring imprint in the fullface. (sorry to any XC riders out there riding cressy's on the weekend)
I ride XC myself but there's no way you'd find me riding up cressy's, its a DH only track.

Not trying to offend anyone out there but feel its better someone says what everyone else is thinking.....

It's nearly the same as allowing XC riders up Aline at Whistler, WTF!!

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Love the track but sooner or later someone is going to collect a XC rider riding up cressy's "climb" and cause serious injury. Guys...... in the name of safety do everyone a favour and make it a DH only track. Was out there on the w/e doing a few practice runs and nearly copped a triple chain ring imprint in the fullface. (sorry to any XC riders out there riding cressy's on the weekend)
I ride XC myself but there's no way you'd find me riding up cressy's, its a DH only track.

Not trying to offend anyone out there but feel its better someone says what everyone else is thinking.....

It's nearly the same as allowing XC riders up Aline at Whistler, WTF!!
I know exactly what you mean, my thoughts are it should only be allowed to be ridden up in race conditions, the problem being with closing it to the public and making it a DH track only is 1, we would piss a whole lot of people off even if Parks Vic were to make the decision and 2, even if we did close it off the people we pissed off are still gonna ride up any way making it even more dangerous as you wont be expecting on coming riders.

I will make sure to bring this up at our next trail meeting with Parks Vic.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guys...... in the name of safety do everyone a favour and make it a DH only track.
not about downhill only, have to remember You Yangs is for everybody and I"m sure everybody one way or another puts in to make it the great place it is. Solution is simple a 'B' line climb line, pretty easy to do, there are only a few bottle necks where this would be required. It's a good fun challenging climb almost as much fun as going down.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The thing with a well designed climb is that they are always going to be very good for descending.

You Yangs needs a good climb to get up the hill as the only real alternatives are fire trail, and then going in the opposite direction of the "traffic" flow on the road to get to the top of the hill. Certainly not an ideal option.

So if Cressy was closed to ascending then there would need to be an alternate way to get up.. hence another good climb (assuming it was allowed to built etc), but that would be a great descent and hence the same predicament again.

On the flip side, XC riders could complain that there are DH riders speeding down their XC climb making it dangerous for them when they have other DH specific tracks. I think good sense, consideration and caution are the best solution so this fantastcic trail can be optimally used by all.

No Judge

Likes Dirt
Yeah good call Moggio. Another "up hill" track might be a good idea. Maybe even make it an up hill only track (like the push-up, but you are allowed to ride it).

It's written in every bike manual, but always ride at a speed that you can control and can respond to any unexpected obsticles...

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
I only ride up Cressy's early (pre 9am) mornings on weekends. Otherwise Lactic Acid itself, Rockwell-Link-Lactic or Trav's can all be ridden up.

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Ok guys just let you know the new track 4 was designed for this in mind, it will be the track for climbing and there for will give people a better loop option as it sits in the middle of most tracks or close too.

Trav will be better to ask the questions on this but im sure it will be about a 3km track using the whole area where the old track 4 is.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Loved the new modifications to track 13, first berm was amaaaazing to rail, and the take off for the big double was sweet, if a bit kicky. Keep it up.

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
Ok guys just let you know the new track 4 was designed for this in mind, it will be the track for climbing and there for will give people a better loop option as it sits in the middle of most tracks or close too.

Trav will be better to ask the questions on this but im sure it will be about a 3km track using the whole area where the old track 4 is.
So no more 20% plus to climb up?? Sad .... not! Looking forward to the new climb.

Lemon

Likes Dirt
Been Riding YYs for a number years now (not DH) and never once have I ridden up Cressy's. I know it is a two way track but I never felt the urge to ride such a majority ridding downhill track. There are plenty of other ways to get to the top, yes some may not be single track but they still give your legs and lungs a work out, thats for sure.

I think there is plenty of other technical and non technical climbs within the YY's to say Cressy's could be used as a dedicated DH, especially when you are talking a full speed track with very little low speed technical bits.

If you come across someone coming up on some of the tight sections it is not going to be pretty.

My opinion only.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
completly agree, some of the rock gardens and other more technical sections are far from 2 way friendly, and if it were to be re-catagorized as a dedicated DH(or rough xc) it may even stop a few injurys due to inexperience underestimating the trail

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and ill put a +1 on that too. i have used cressys for a warm up run or two. get the feel of the bike for the day tweek and limber up. and im not taking it as a sunday stroll, i could imagine the carnage that would occur if a head on happened.

trav

Likes Dirt
completely agree, some of the rock gardens and other more technical sections are far from 2 way friendly, and if it were to be re-categorized as a dedicated DH(or rough xc) it may even stop a few injuries due to inexperience underestimating the trail
I disagree,there is trail difficulty rating system and it is explained on the trailhead signs which are at every entry point of the area.Then at either ends of the trails there is signage with it's difficulty rating on it,pretty simple.

If riders don't feel safe or comfortable on a trail ,then go do another trail that suits your skill level and you feel safe on.There is plenty of trails out there.

Skill level of You Yangs

I have always wanted to go to the You Yangs for a ride but dont know anyone else who has ridden them. What would you guys rate the difficulty out of 10? Thanks

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are trails out there to suit all levels from flat XC to technical XC climbs, moderate descents and some technical DH tracks with big drops, gaps and rock gardens.

You can't go wrong out there, just read the trail signage and don't bite off more than you can chew.

There are trails out there to suit all levels from flat XC to technical XC climbs, moderate descents and some technical DH tracks with big drops, gaps and rock gardens.

You can't go wrong out there, just read the trail signage and don't bite off more than you can chew.
Thanks WynterPlace
I'll go and check it out