The Fixie Thread

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I drove past a group of people on fixies playing polo cross on a basketball court yesterday. Looked pretty legit to me. Am I missing something or is this a new craze?

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I drove past a group of people on fixies playing polo cross on a basketball court yesterday. Looked pretty legit to me. Am I missing something or is this a new craze?
Did you see them at Miami High courts? If so, that'd be the fixie GC fellas for a spot of afternoon polo.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey chaps, anyone need a new chainring? got a 144/135bcd 48t origion 8 one i bought by mistake. 25 bucks.

let me know

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, this is my new fixie.

Hard to resist the urge to skid!

Hope you like her...

View attachment untitled.pdf
(sorry about the pdf format, no converter at work...if someone could convert to JPEG and upload, I'd be very greatful!)

Does anyone have any suggestions of brands for track chainrings?

144 BCD, thinking of going Specalite TA Chainrings, Don't really wan't to fork out on FSA TRACK PRO chainrings, and I've been warned Token Track Chainrings are poor quality.

Opinions?

Last edited:

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, this is my new fixie.

Hard to resist the urge to skid!

Hope you like her...

View attachment 192525
(sorry about the pdf format, no converter at work...if someone could convert to JPEG and upload, I'd be very greatful!)

Does anyone have any suggestions of brands for track chainrings?

144 BCD, thinking of going Specalite TA Chainrings, Don't really wan't to fork out on FSA TRACK PRO chainrings, and I've been warned Token Track Chainrings are poor quality.

Opinions?

haha above? pm me if you want a photo, seems well built, "origin 8" branded

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's stock as a rock, All I did was fit new tires (cont supersonic).

Just a time being bike, waiting to get the Fuji Track LTD (2011), so if someone would be interested in buying this in virtually brand new condition in the next couple of months, P'm me.

These chainrings?

The look a bit stiff and flexy?

RCOH

Eats Squid
Cycle Underground aren't doing chainrings, or any bike related products anymore - give Tarn at Primate frames a call:

http://primateframes.wordpress.com/

He has a lot of John's (from cycle underground) old stock, and also makes his own chainrings for Candy Cranks that are excellent.

A friend of mine has the very last batch of chainrings made by Cycle Underground...let me know what BCD/teeth you need and I can see if he has one, usually about $50

oh_lol

Cannon Fodder
Hi guys, first post on this forum and hoping I can get some help building a bike.
I've collected a handful of bikes so I'll try use a few bits and pieces off them. They are all quite old.

Best frame I have is an old Malvern Star.
Sugino VP crankset.
Some solid metal pedals (unsure of brand, haven't looked carefully).
San Marco seat.

So I guess I will need:
Wheelset
Tyres/tubes
Seat post
Stem and bars
And other stuff I can't think of (don't know much about bikes sorry)

Are all bits and pieces 'universal' in fitment? Or do I need to look for particular sizes or something?

Thanks in advance. I originally was going to buy something like a Fuji Feather, but since I have some bits laying around and I love to learn/get hands on, may as well build my own

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Welcome dude, modern bikes are some what universal, but thats not the case with older bikes. Post up some pics of the stuff you have and if you could tell us how old you reckon it is there should be some people who can help you out. Luckily since everyones into older bikes these days its not too hard to find spare parts for old roadies, and bike shops often have some stuff sitting around if you ask nicely.

And building your own bike is fun if a little painful, so have a crack at it if you have the time.

oh_lol

Cannon Fodder
Heya Lanky. Thank you for the post, but I think I'm going to put aside building my own for the time being. I plan to purchase an off the shelf, and I will learn from there, and when I have enough knowledge, I will build my own :)

On that note, I am looking at the following:

Kona Paddy Wagon
Fuji Feather
Masi Speciale
SE Lager

Which would your picks be? They all seem to be fairly similarly specced from what my bike uneducated brain can tell me.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Latest build

So heres some pics of my latest builds
In blue, the fixie at the moment
In black, my fixie pre rebuild and repaint
In red, christmas present for my sister
Pic 2.jpgPic 3.jpgPic 1.jpg

oh_lol

Cannon Fodder
I like those bikes you have there smitho!
Do you try build your bikes out of older parts, or do you go out and purchase newer bits?

I purchased a Kona Paddywagon, and is on it's way. But I didn't realize they don't come with pedals.
Can you guys recommend me some pedals/toeclips/straps? I saw some Wellgo ones that come with toeclips and straps for $40.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like those bikes you have there smitho!
Do you try build your bikes out of older parts, or do you go out and purchase newer bits?

I purchased a Kona Paddywagon, and is on it's way. But I didn't realize they don't come with pedals.
Can you guys recommend me some pedals/toeclips/straps? I saw some Wellgo ones that come with toeclips and straps for $40.
a lot of guy have those twitsted plastic pedals. i got some dmr v8s (pins!) with BO gear straps. very sturdy.