eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Well I’m 61 years old and hope to remain ebike free for as long as possible.
Only 45 here but am already carrying a lot of issues from years of rugby/league, jumping out of planes, walking for weeks on end with 30kg+ on my back, getting drunk and treating the world like a jumping castle, etc. I haven't been able to run since arround 2000, which is part of the reason I got into riding bikes. I hope I don't ever have to downgrade in terms of activity but I reckon the writing is on the wall for me.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Only 45 here but am already carrying a lot of issues from years of rugby/league, jumping out of planes, walking for weeks on end with 30kg+ on my back, getting drunk and treating the world like a jumping castle, etc. I haven't been able to run since arround 2000, which is part of the reason I got into riding bikes. I hope I don't ever have to downgrade in terms of activity but I reckon the writing is on the wall for me.
As Sam Pilgrim says - “I don’t care whether you like them or not., If you do like them then obviously you know they’re awesome too. And if you don’t like them then you obviously haven’t tried one because they will change your life forever”.

Its not just about age, injury or fitness. Its also that eMTB's are a great fun alternative.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
I've been following these guys closely... I think they are at the front at the moment and now pilgrim has joined up I'm pretty much convinced that these guys are the go ....
can you do a full shake down on yr rig and let us get amped up!!!!
The spec list is a mile long but the majors are the new Bosch CX motor and the integrated Bosch powertube battery into the frame which gives it a much cleaner more traditional MTB look. This new Bosch motor is apparently the leader in terms of natural feel across the modes and has heaps of grunt. Its remarkable it can push 115kg with 2.8 tyres up steep hills while just turning legs over. RS Yari 150mm up front Sram drivetrain. Seriously chunky 2.8 Maxxis tyres, dropper seat on 27.5 wheels. Made in Germany.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'm trying to find the article I read that said certain places in Europe are going to categorize all pedal assist and E bikes as a motorized vehicle which will require a particular license and some sort of identity on the bike. They'll be banned from trail networks the same as motor bikes etc etc. This was coming form a Government release, seems like the party may be over for some.

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
I'm trying to find the article I read that said certain places in Europe are going to categorize all pedal assist and E bikes as a motorized vehicle which will require a particular license and some sort of identity on the bike. They'll be banned from trail networks the same as motor bikes etc etc. This was coming form a Government release, seems like the party may be over for some.
I think there are 2 or 3 "Classes" of Ebikes. Class 1 has an official European Standard that took time to develop and has gained acceptance across the world. For example Victoria VicRoads only recently (few years back) accepted this Euro standard for Class 1 Pedelec Bikes. They have to have capped power and capped speed to 25kph and must pedal no throttle. In Vic they are allowed on road as bicycles with no rego or license. However if doesn't meet those requirements its a motor vehicle and subject to different rules. I think all of the major brands only make EMTBs compliant with the Euro class 1 standard. After the massive growth in Europe i doubt they will change Class 1 Pedelecs. Too much money at stake for those countries and it would be completely contrary to their congestion and emissions objectives - which rely on use of bikes rather than cars.

As Sam Pilgrim says - “I don’t care whether you like them or not., If you do like them then obviously you know they’re awesome too. And if you don’t like them then you obviously haven’t tried one because they will change your life forever”.
This bloke related to Alan Jones perhaps ?

bikie

Rock Bottom
Then obviously his comment means diddly
It might be different and bullshit if he was riding his DJ bike instead of their ebikes all the time.. but he's clearly doing everything he's commenting on and having a ball. So obviously his comments do mean something because they represent his actions and not some made up marketing shit.

I just find it hypnotising that people get sucked into axle boost horse pivot Tranny acronym marketing but can't believe the word and real life actions of a fellow rider (whether that be Pilgrim or some other bloke on here).

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It might be different and bullshit if he was riding his DJ bike instead of their ebikes all the time.. but he's clearly doing everything he's commenting on and having a ball. So obviously his comments do mean something because they represent his actions and not some made up marketing shit.

I just find it hypnotising that people get sucked into axle boost horse pivot Tranny acronym marketing but can't believe the word and real life actions of a fellow rider (whether that be Pilgrim or some other bloke on here).
It clearly took a while to get used to the weight of it, he looked unbalanced and awkward for half that video compared to his normal style.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Its not just about age, injury or fitness. Its also that eMTB's are a great fun alternative.
Yeah, this is the point where I curb my enthusiasm, though.

Each to their own and all but I have issues with able bodies taking short cuts, but that's just me looking at the world through the prism of my own values and biases.

I have more concrete concerns about what advocating for able bodies to ride e-bikes will do to congestion and over-use of trails and ultimately access to those trails. These are all discussions that we've had previously in this thread.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think you need to temper your hypntotism with the very real and visceral skepticism of and resistance to the latest standard and marketing that we see in MTBing.

This forum is overflowing with resistance to that shit so I don't see how you can make this comparrison in this particular forum.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've seen a video on GMBN that said they were looking at compulsory third party insurance and they will be recognised as motor bikes. globalmountainbikenetwork

Status
Not open for further replies.