Search results

1. Joel O

Post up ya 4WD!

Anybody got any recommendations for canvas seat covers? not a whole lot available locally and it's pretty hard to tell what you're getting online so feedback on any particular brand/supplier is welcome
  2. Joel O

The stupid questions thread.

Decompression sickness is more common than you might think in freedivers. Divers competing in the no limits discipline always have a planned/controlled ascent which usually includes a decompression stop. It's also a real risk among the best spearfishers, especially in comps where surface...
  3. Joel O

Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Very jealous steve-o, I'll be doing the same as soon as I have the space Those are some impressive numbers there, well done! I took a bit of a break following a couple of injuries back to back over the soccer season but am getting back into now. But first I need some advice.../ I've always...
  4. Joel O

Hunting on public land

A few more points to consider: My observation is that in a lot of cases rec hunters eat MUCH less meat sourced from agricultural methods, which can have a significant negative environmental impact. The environmental impact is greater than just the re moval of ferals. Whilst there will be...
  5. Joel O

Windows 8

I've had my new laptop for a week and am very slowly coming to terms with windows 8. IMO it is not a good operating system if you're only using a trackpad but I'm starting to see a bit of potential using a physical mouse and/or the touch screen, although i definitely wouldn't say i'm enjoying...
  6. Joel O

The Chilli Thread!

If the stems/branches still look alive and green they may still bounce back. My plants almost always drop their leaves when I prune them back and within 4-6 weeks they come back looking more lush and green than ever. Most of my plants are just starting to get their first fruit for the season...
  7. Joel O

who thought it would be a good idea to not have the clock visible at all times in windows 8? and more importantly, is there a way to remedy this? Seriously considering going back to windows 7
  8. Joel O

Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Can anybody give me a rundown on the head gasket problems commonly experienced with the 2.5L subaru engines? I'm looking at foresters in the 2003-2006 range and have read a lot of conflicting information about whether these years were prone to head gasket failure. Edit: after staying up all...
  9. Joel O

Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Due to limited space (and skill) until I get my own place I've only made them by stock removal from flat bar so far. The kitchen knife is 440C stainless and the other is 1084 plain carbon steel. The stainless steels I outsource the heat treat on as I don't have the gear to achieve precise...
  10. Joel O

Something a little different for this thread, but hopefully some find it interesting... I've been bitten by the knifemaking bug and thought I'd share a couple I've recently finished. All hardened and being put to good use. A few more on the go at the moment and hopefully many more to...
  11. Joel O

Cheap diving/snorkelling

Lord Howe Island is great but would be very expensive Countless locations in the pacific - lots of options for wreck diving and deep coral walls - Vanuatu was great, solomons, samoa, fiji, tahiti etc. some locations will cater much better to tourists than others Japan would be an option for...
  12. Joel O

Uni life thread

Committee position in a uni/sporting club?
  13. Joel O

Seeking advice on: Best place to look for a BIG screen TV. Sales to wait for etc

If you have a chance have a play with the remote and menus. Cheaper TV's always seem to be a bit lacking there and there's nothing worse than an EPG that won't load until after you select the channel. If you'll be using it mostly for gaming and downloaded content that may not be an issue for you.
  14. Joel O

Food/Diet Ketosis Diet Advice

I've read a good deal of the pseudo science available online, some real science and lived with a guy who followed a very strict keto diet (he had good results but i suspect with the deidcation required he could have got the same results in a multitude of ways). I'd consider myself to have a...
  15. Joel O

Food/Diet Ketosis Diet Advice

1800 cal is NOTHING, especially for a workout day. That's less than what I eat when cutting at over 1kg a week. I don't know enough about keto diets to properly comment but 165g/day of fat is huge, that is over a kilo of fat/week! You sound like you'd have absolutely no trouble dropping a few...
  16. Joel O

Underwater Cameras

The canon G series used to be the pick of the bunch as the housings were a fraction of the cost of those for DSLR's. I haven't paid much attention in the last few years though so this may have changed. Having the ability to add filters to your housing would be a big plus too
  17. Joel O

Most uni's will offer a bridging course over summer session before you start your first year and/or during first semester. It is very common for people not to meet the maths entry requirements. just be aware that they are run at a pretty fast pace and require large amounts of time to be spent...
  18. Joel O

Advice needed! I'm looking at picking up a floor standing drill press in the near future but am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of cheap house brand imports in the market at the moment. Any advice/reviews from those who own any of the sub $500 models? things to look out for?
  19. Joel O

Training Log Joel's 2013 log

Well, I've tried IF for about 10 days now with mixed results... I was eating 12-8pm which was really convenient, kept hunger under control and was really easy to stick to my macros for the day. I was training right before my evening meal and had no dramas there either. As a result I did lose...
  20. Joel O

Training Log Joel's 2013 log

I've been trying IF for about 4 days now and so far so good. I'm not feeling hungry like I would restricting calories across 5-6 meals and I've made it through a kickboxing session and a gym session without feeling flat at all. I'll stick with it at least until the end of the month and see...