2010 Snow season thread

S-Club

Squid
Yeah Niseko is in Hokkaido, which is the north island, approximately an hour's flight from tokyo, and then a few hours drive from Chitose airport near Sapporo. You can also take the train, but I'm not sure how long it takes.

If you're keen to stay on Honshu, the main island where Tokyo is, Hakuba is probably a good place to start, there are a ton of resorts around that area with varied sorts of riding available. Myoko Kogen has a good rep too, but again I haven't ridden there so can't speak for it directly. If convience and riding is what you're going for, just hang around Honshu, there are so many resorts around there.

Personally if i were going for 2 weeks, I'd hang out in tokyo for a few days, and spend a week staying in Asahikawa, rent a car, and ride that area in Hokkaido, but that might be a bit hard to do without a little local knowledge and language.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Unreal, thanks for all the tips. I have ZERO knowledge of Japan, their culture and language so I don't think I would be too confident just winging it. It would be quite the experience though.

Just another question, how cold is it? Is it more ideal to layer or get clothes to suit that climate?

S-Club

Squid
Umm Feb's winter so it gets pretty cold, that being said Honshu's not too bad. It doesn't snow often in Tokyo so you can get away with a city coat/ jacket, that being said if you're snowboarding, you're riding jacket will be fine.

I'm a fan of lots of thin layers and a shell whilst riding. When not riding I tend to stick to a down jacket, thats in Hokkaido which is a bit colder though.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok guys on the topic of Japan, me and a mate have pretty much just made the commitment to go late January for a week.

We were looking at going to Nozawa, has anyone had experience? Or suggest something else?

Basically we're trying to stay away from the Aussie's + tourist traps. The more overlooked the better, but neither of us speak more than 4 words of Japanese. Our budget is ~$1700 including return flights (which we've got to Tokyo for <$800 so far, lift passes at Nozawa for a week are $270), hoping to go backpackers and eat locally.

Also on the topic of clothing, would I be able to get away with a 10k/10k jacket and 5k/10k pants?

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Okay, not an expert or anything here, but maybe look at Myoko? From all the things I have read it isn't as westernised like the rest of the resorts.

I will be trecking over to Japan From about 9 February... and will be looking to head to Myoko after a week in Hakuba.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Unreal, thanks for all the tips. I have ZERO knowledge of Japan, their culture and language so I don't think I would be too confident just winging it. It would be quite the experience though.

Just another question, how cold is it? Is it more ideal to layer or get clothes to suit that climate?
I was in Niseko 2 winters ago, I have a photo somewhere of me standing under a digital clock/thermo, it was minus 22. Only skiing i have ever done where a balaclava was essential under the helmet. that was an exceptionally cold and powder ridden week though.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
next week going to Hotham for a week any one gone there and whats the news?
Got back from a week of boarding there lastnight

Weather was crap, snow was amazing yesterday. Had a really light and dry powder, did a lesson with a canadian guy and he took me to some back country stuff right out the back. Was an awesome feeling going down making first tracks.

hopefully its still good for when your there!

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Hit up Selwyn yesterday with the girl, the snow was pretty damn good... pity the place is full of punters that can't ride t-bars + poma's. The terrain park is pretty good, a few jibs, boxes and a nice sized double. You can ride the park t-bar all day for $20.00!! Bargain.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
yeah sooo after looking at snow forcast's and a few observations on friday morning, decided to head up to hotham for the weekend, really have to start making use of my season pass hahaha

any way, just quitely, was the single best day i have had in australia snow wise.. it was almost japan still dry powder!.. not quite but you know!

looking forward to this weeks system (if it comes through), and a repeat this friday/sat/sun!!!

talk about a late coming season! its the end of august, and it looks like we are just starting to get the snow!

adman

Likes Dirt
Any tips for staying at Falls creek? What runs, where's good food.etc.

We have a school trip there in 3 weeks - just keen to figure out what's good and bad.

Is the snow usually good there in early/mid september? When I was in NZ last year it was pushing it - the snow was getting pretty thin on the last few days. Is Australia slightly behind? Guess it depends on latitudes... should probably check it out.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
This is what Selwyn was like on the weekend, if anyone hasn't been there... the terrain is pretty tame and perfect for beginners. A mate and I decided to take our girls down to learn to board. When they were having lessons we just chummed around. It was a good day to concentrate on learning to ride switch a little more confidently though. The only park footage is at 1.40, and is VERY brief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3wnh8H-Y1Y

Last edited:

Zane.R

Cannon Fodder
just got off the hotham website and it is looking great. any one out there from the 29th-3rd? be keen to do some runs with a fellow farkiner :)

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
ummmm ok then..
shit season, to almost on par with snow fall accumulation with an epic season, in 7 days!!!!
hows about australian snow for ya ey? shit one day, epic the next!

wish i was up there today, sadly ill have to wait for tommorow!

and to the person above, i will be at hotham, or falls most likly hotham 28-30th. and falls tomorow.

dunndog

Eats Squid
You will have an all time day tomorrow. this has been and still is the biggest dump in decades. to get a 50cm plus powder day in oz is as good as unheard of. gutted i'm locked in to work saturday or i'd be up there myself by now. Fark..

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
We made a spur of the moment decision as a family last weekend that we would be heading down, not knowing that it would dump this big.
I am stoked, infact, I am amazed.
I shall get some pictures and put together a small video for you all. :p
Here's a little video I put together from the last time I went down (about a month ago) :
http://vimeo.com/14346074

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to pick up a board-boot-binding package during off season sales. Are any stores significantly better than others? I'm in Canberra, but will probably be buying online.