2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

stevo78

Likes Dirt
Looking at the event schedule the track opens Thursday morning. Does that mean u can't ride stromlo earlier in the week? I'm arriving Tuesday and was hoping to ride Wednesday. Also how safe would my tent and camping be left unattended friday night

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Strongly suspect that the "track opening Thursday morning" means that it will only be bunted and defined then. In the past, as much of Stromlo has always been open at every single moment possible and that's not likely to change you'd have to think - even when the worlds were on there were some tracks still able to be ridden by joe public ;)

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Strongly suspect that the "track opening Thursday morning" means that it will only be bunted and defined then. In the past, as much of Stromlo has always been open at every single moment possible and that's not likely to change you'd have to think - even when the worlds were on there were some tracks still able to be ridden by joe public ;)
Yes, it's not like there's heaps of places to ride around Canberra, hmmm let me see.....:cool:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Looking at the event schedule the track opens Thursday morning. Does that mean u can't ride stromlo earlier in the week? I'm arriving Tuesday and was hoping to ride Wednesday. Also how safe would my tent and camping be left unattended friday night
There will be on-site security Thursday night to Sunday night inclusive.

carlgroover

Likes Bikes
Pit passes

I am fortunate enough to have my wife and a friend/bike mechanic helping me compete at the Worlds, however we normally have our 2 children with us while I'm doing 24's. With only 2 helpers allowed in the pit area will my 2 boys be left outside the fence cold, hungry and unsupervised?

My son has also asked how high will the fences be and will the sercurity guards have tasers or guns.

Thanks John Evans

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am fortunate enough to have my wife and a friend/bike mechanic helping me compete at the Worlds, however we normally have our 2 children with us while I'm doing 24's. With only 2 helpers allowed in the pit area will my 2 boys be left outside the fence cold, hungry and unsupervised?

My son has also asked how high will the fences be and will the sercurity guards have tasers or guns.

Thanks John Evans
I'm excited, John, i can give your boys a shovel or 2 and they can tunnel their way to your camp,
i'm sure we can get them in somehow, i might be able get one in as part of my extra pass.
I"M EXCITED!!!!!

carlgroover

Likes Bikes
I'm excited too Dreggsy, in a nervous kind of way, we may have to take that shovel.
Even though it will be my 8th solo 24 I still get butterflies leading up to one, but feel I can never give up racing these things.
With it being the World's there is more to race for and more to hurt for.
It makes me think of how hard the race will be for Craig Gordon & Jason English, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Any guess's on the outcome?

JessD

Likes Dirt
24hr Fight

I'm excited too Dreggsy, in a nervous kind of way, we may have to take that shovel.
Even though it will be my 8th solo 24 I still get butterflies leading up to one, but feel I can never give up racing these things.
With it being the World's there is more to race for and more to hurt for.
It makes me think of how hard the race will be for Craig Gordon & Jason English begin_of_the_skype_highlighting*****end_of_the_skype_highlighting, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.
Any guess's on the outcome?
It will be a fight to the death - Jason's toughest race yet, where we may see him grit his teeth instead of chillin' with his homies.

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Slight change of topic - I broke a spoke at the canberra race last weekend, the mechanic guys had no spokes of any kind... very sad ending...

what will be there as far as mechanic support / shops setup able to fix stuff? - will there be the normal guys set up near transition doing repairs / will there be anyone doing mechanical work in / near / for the solo pit area?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Slight change of topic - I broke a spoke at the canberra race last weekend, the mechanic guys had no spokes of any kind... very sad ending...

what will be there as far as mechanic support / shops setup able to fix stuff? - will there be the normal guys set up near transition doing repairs / will there be anyone doing mechanical work in / near / for the solo pit area?
Bike Culture and Shimano. This will be for the whole event, but Solos have priority.

But - a bike shop can't carry every known spare - so if you have something unusual, might pay to bring a spare, which they can fit for you.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt

... how many lengths/buttings/colours/thread diameters/pull types would a shop need to take to a race to suit all the attendees' wheels, let alone all the Shimano/Mavic/Fulcrum/I9/Easton proprietary spokes? The worlds might justify more equipment, but if supporting a 7 hour round I wouldn't take much more than the usual consumables...

Shop guys should have been able to back off the tension to keep you riding though, if it's a 32/36h wheel.

- Joel