2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
Can someone recommend a good campsite suitable for a motorhome for the days before the WSC when we cannot camp on site please.

Needs to be close to shops/civilisation, yet close enough to ride to Stromlo.
If any campsites have wi-fi access that would be a benefit, but if not somewhere near by with access would be OK.

Usual other facilities like electric, water, etc.

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Can someone recommend a good campsite suitable for a motorhome for the days before the WSC when we cannot camp on site please.

Needs to be close to shops/civilisation, yet close enough to ride to Stromlo.
If any campsites have wi-fi access that would be a benefit, but if not somewhere near by with access would be OK.

Usual other facilities like electric, water, etc.
Matt , weve booked at this place for the week leading in...have stayed there before and its quite good...as to how close it is to shops etc.....dont believe its too bad, however the locals may correct me...generally everything in canberra is pretty close just a roundabout or three to go through :eek:

would help if i actually add the link

http://www.csmp.net.au/

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Try Canberra Motor Village Matt. Being a local, I've never stayed there but the location is good and it's off-road riding all the way to Stromlo.
Yep and it's right next door to Bruce/O'Connor ridge where there is some singletrack riding if you want a little evening spin.
It is 15-20min drive to Stromlo but an easy 45-90 minbike path/fireroad run for you fit types with some hills thrown in if you wish (basically take bike paths to join leg 5 of the Sri Chinmoy Triple Tri route part way through).

matt36415

Likes Dirt
I was at the canberra motor village last weekend and am staying again for the worlds - it is about 20 min drive to stromlo - 10min or less to Dickson (a suburb) shops which has about 50 resteraunts - supermarket - petrol... and then it is about 5 min to civic (city centre) with several large shopping malls.

UKmatt

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the suggestions.
Just to check, the Canberra Motor Village is within walking distance of Canberra itself?

That is the main concern as my partner doesn't ride and with the van parked up we wont have transport. If Stomlo is riding distance away that would be great.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canberra not *that* big mate (think approx the size of Coventry and surrounds, maybe a bit bigger) - and the public transport is OK as well. As long as your missus can read a bus timetable, she'll be fine.

matt36415

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the suggestions.
Just to check, the Canberra Motor Village is within walking distance of Canberra itself?

That is the main concern as my partner doesn't ride and with the van parked up we wont have transport. If Stomlo is riding distance away that would be great.
Google 'Canberra motor village' - it comes up on a google map. The city centre is to the south east of the motor village - endless shops... Stromlo is also on google maps - there might be places to stay closer than the canberra motor village but I don't think there is anything really close to stromlo

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Canberra not *that* big mate (think approx the size of Coventry and surrounds, maybe a bit bigger) - and the public transport is OK as well. As long as your missus can read a bus timetable, she'll be fine.
Canberra Motor Village is not far from the city, or Belco if you need supplies. It's a fair trot to Stromlo,by bike, especially if you are going to be racing or supporting a racer. As far as reading a bus timetable, well Saturday morning buses are ok, but after that they are not real flash. Sunday they are an event rather than a service. also to get from CMV to Stromlo, could take a few days. cheers Jack:cool:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I would really like to know by the end of this week (4 Sep) as we need to start getting the final pit row layout organised, and the location of marquees will have some bearing on that.

We could take orders a bit later (about another 2 weeks) but we would not be able to guarantee location in the pit row, nor that they could be combined with other riders.

There is info on them here, along with ticktets to the post-race presentation dinne on Sunday night. The link to purchase them is at the bottom of that page.

stevo78

Likes Dirt
just confirming that tents of any type can be used in pit row instead of a marquee as long as it fits in the required space? cant justify the price of marquee hire so want to use a pop up tent that ive used at other events.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Russ,

Do people who combine pits also have their allocated camping combined? If not how can we organize that?

cheers

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
just confirming that tents of any type can be used in pit row instead of a marquee as long as it fits in the required space? cant justify the price of marquee hire so want to use a pop up tent that ive used at other events.
Yes, but:
. must be 3m x 3m maximum (including guy ropes). Remember, some pop-ups are 3.6m square. Turn up with one of those and be disappointed
. No mains power
. If you BYO gas heater/stove/light, then must only be on when responsible adult present and must be 1m clear of all walls/roof

Do people who combine pits also have their allocated camping combined? If not how can we organize that?
Not officially, although we are organising that for larger groups on a case-by-case basis, If you think your group is large, email me.

(you're stuck with them for 24+ hours in the pits and now you want to be stuck with them in the campsite as well :confused: )

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Not officially, although we are organising that for larger groups on a case-by-case basis, If you think your group is large, email me.

(you're stuck with them for 24+ hours in the pits and now you want to be stuck with them in the campsite as well :confused: )
Russ, Well I wouldn't consider our "posse" large. About 6 of us including 2 riders. It would just make logistics a bit easier if we are all together..

cheers!