2011/12 VIC DH Series - Official Thread

scottlikesbeer

Likes Dirt
Anyone know the best spots to get a decent good value meal along the way there on friday night? I'm thinking somewhere along the Hume. Cheers
Hey mate,

Nothing really decent along the way. There's a Maccas, Subway and KFC at Wallan, and a Maccas at Glenrowan and a few roadhouses in between. Its about an hour and a half from Glenrowan to Beauty and I wouldn't really bank on anything being open here, although Stockpot may be if you are here before 9ish and food is great there.

I've had a couple of roadhouse meals on the way to and from Melbourne but they've all been crap and left me wishing I went for Maccas.

At least with Maccas you know what to expect!

Cheers,

Scott

Weather forecast for Mount Beauty:

Friday Sunny, 22 degrees
Saturday Sunny, 26 degrees
Sunday Sunny, 25 degrees
Monday Sunny, 26 degrees

A perfect weekend for racing! 203 online entries already in, get yourself registered early at the race site!

Ruys

Likes Dirt
A massive thanks to everyone who made the race happen. Couldn't have asked for a better weekend.

.Sam

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps to everyone who organised the event on the weekend. Was heaps of fun :) Amazing track

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Thanks to all the organisers for such a sick weekend! best track I have ridden

where would I be able to find some results?

Lube

Likes Dirt
Definitely one of the best tracks in the country and a well run event! The weather turned it on for us as well which was great! Big thank you to the organisers, volunteers and the residents of Mt Beauty for putting on such a great race!

Thanks for the positive feedback!

331 riders turned out for a spectacular weekend of racing in near perfect conditions. It was amazing to see a huge crowd rolled up as well, the Mount Beauty locals really do get behind these events.

The track has held up extremely well considering the traffic!

We at Team Mount Beauty are always interested in any feedback, positive and/or negative, always looking to further improve rider and spectator experience at our events. Here's your opportunity to have your voice heard, it all gets taken on board and hopefully your next visit to the Big Hill Mountain Bike Park you'll notice the results of your valued input. Feel free to post any comments.

As I mentioned during presentations, about 100 volunteers gave up their time over the weekend to stage the event. Pat them on the back, tilt your hat and keep them coming back in the future.

It may be worth mention that the local basketball club, who ran the barbie on Sunday, made enough cash to buy new kit for the entire club. Thanks for supporting these community groups, its nice to know that your dosh is going somewhere and really enhancing our small community here.

On a personal level, as owner of the Mount Beauty Holiday Centre, I want to thank all of our guests for the outstanding attitude towards and acceptance of the few 'changes' we made during your stay. The general demeanor of the crowd has to be applauded, not a single problem from us as hosts. Many thanks! This has been the consensus across the board from all accommodation houses, business and locals I've heard from so far. You WILL be welcomed back with open arms in the future. Well done, keep up the good work!

Many, many, many thanks to the other clubs, the 'usual suspects' who work tirelessly and arrive with various expertise and efficiency. You guys are AWESOME. This is the best series in the country, you are the reason for it!

Again, thanks from Team Mount Beauty. 2014 marks the anniversary of 20 years of downhill racing in town. We're planning something special to mark this occasion, keep your eyes peeled!

Regards,
Mat Gardiner,
Team Mount Beauty.

Last edited:

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
Things I think could be improved,,
-The turnaround sucked, I know its always going to be a longer one but waiting an hour to a run is ridiculous
-Some sort of timing board, there was nowhere for the riders to see there time
Other than that i think it was a pretty decent event with a sweet track

Ruys

Likes Dirt
I think the shuttles were excellent considering the amount of riders there was. They were a bit slow early on Sunday morning because there was never a break in the riders for the vehicles to cross the track. Once they told the riders to wait for the buses things moved heaps quicker.

I'd also like to see a timing board but I'm assuming not having one is aimed at encouraging people to stick around for presentations which is understandable.

Alpinestar5

Cannon Fodder
Awesome event. Atmosphere in the chute was unreal, i especially enjoyed that part of the course. well done Mt Beauty!

-maybe next time they can organize someone to allocate parking areas in the morning?, then everyone has space to get in and out of the bike park.
-a timing board/screen would be a great idea, seeing as you have been riding all weekend and you just want to see what time you did.

oh yeah and where can i find some results?

cheers.

This event was the premiere for a new, wireless timing system. The system runs on the 3G network. On the phone, full bars of service at the trailhead, full bars at the finish line. For some reason the service was intermittent on the day, not that this was a problem at all as the back up system is faultless. This is the reason, however, for the time display not being operational during the race runs. There was every good intention for that feature to be provided and will be next time, for sure!

Regarding the transport, with a turnout of that size, I cannot think of any way (short of helicopter drops...!) to make the transport run faster. Suggestions to increase efficiency are more than welcome. NB: Mini buses are NOT faster than the coaches. They carry a quarter of the passengers, meaning 4 times more traffic at the road crossing, 4 times more fuel tanks to fill, 4 times more drivers to source etc.

Results are still being collated and will be posted as soon as possible on the VDHS website.

Last edited:

stacka

Likes Dirt
as always, absolutely spot on race. cheers for a sick weekend guys. anyone who whinges has no clue clearly. thanks again !

dunndog

Eats Squid
If you could make the 4 hour trip up from Melbourne about half that for the drive home, that would be great. Otherwise I had an awesome weekend, thought catering to that many people was great. Awesome track, what a venue! Super positive experience for my first race weekend and am now hooked. Huge thanks to everyone involved and a pat on the back to all the riders for leaving a good impression on the town, definitely wanna be welcomed back there next time!

.Sam

Likes Dirt
I think the coaches was a great idea, They took a lot of riders, gave a comfortable ride up the hill. I could not imagine that long of a shuttle ride with a group of sweaty downhillers. I am hoping that other races will take coaches as well.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Awesome weekend, loved it.

- Shuttles were a little slow but there isnt much that can be done and thats cool. Nothing to cry about.
- Track was awesome, no complaints there.
- Anyone get a video/pic of any of my 3 (u17) race run crashes (first corner washout, bus stop g-out that was sent a little too far, crashing into a big padded tree at the bottom)?

SO SO KEEN FOR BULLERRR!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
epic race. well run and great track.
one thing that could help. more red bull ice cream!!!!!
apart from the fact i tore so many ligaments in my shoulder that i now cant move it. it was a great weekend !!
great work guys

Shredden

Knows his goats
greatest ice cream i have had and such a nice guy who served it!
Yeah, that was one thing that I had meant to mention as well.

The bloke in the coffee van and the guy with the ice cream were both really friendly and had good food!

Pay them to come to all the races?