Back Yamma Bigfoot 2011 (Entries close Monday 22nd August)

frensham

Likes Dirt
Trying to decide which bike to use - is the course better suited to a hardtail or a dually?
Depends on the hard tail/dually and rider.
The course is quick and mostly smooth but flat for the most part so the hard tail advantage of being a better climber is a moot point.

Sasquatch..

Likes Bikes
Download the official course map here. Most of the course was marked today. Looking very nice. A little dusty in parts. Lots of kangaroos around, even saw a couple of deer! The cattle out there have de-smoothed a few parts, but mostly just like to watch.

Remember, "watch out for stumps".

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
I too cannot wait!!

So what has been the general consensus around SS gearing? I know fast is the way to go, but I might need the start to be a downhill with some of the ratios I have heard I will need!

A question for the locals. Is the pizza hut in Parkes still all you can eat for like $13? Easy way to load up on carbs hahahaha

tim80

Likes Bikes
A question for the locals. Is the pizza hut in Parkes still all you can eat for like $13? Easy way to load up on carbs hahahaha
Not sure exactly how much it is but yes there is an all you can eat option. I think it might be a little more than $13 though.

- Tim.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done and done! Have ingested about 5000kCal of McDonald's and almost feeling human again.

5hrs at 90% max HR hurts!

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Now wasnt that fun! Great camping, super fast racing (at the pointy end) 450 riders churning up the trails, a great mix of singletrack and fire trails, dont know how anybody couold have gotten lost, well signposted i thought, astronomy last night was a great touch, brilliant weather, as hard as anyone could want.

Big cheers to Tim, Chris Dan and their helpers - well done fellers, looks like youve started a tradition - and fathers day was perfect timing!!

50burn

Squid
Definitely a fixture on the calendar. Full credit to all the organisers, whom I would guess are not huge in number but they must put in a huge effort. The track is awesome and the event had a great laid back yet organised feel to it, was one of the best value races around I reckon.

I have 2 suggestions that are in no way criticisms.

• Let everybody know in advance that there will be delicious food for sale on Saturday night. The food was great but we didn't know it was on so brought our own
  • Let evryone know that there will be hot showers with good pressure. Capped off a perfect ride and made the drive home a lot more pleasant

A huge thanks to all involved see you next year!

frensham

Likes Dirt
Fabulous course this year, quite different to last year and better in my opinion. A tad more climbing (300m more for the Two Big feet) and much less fire road. Loved the gullies in the eroded creek - that was fun! Course was a little longer - my reading was 104 km with a 1050m altitude gain.
This has to be the best value 'race' you can enter. I'm there for next year. Well done to all the organisers and volunteers.

wazza2795

Likes Bikes
well done

Well done to all involved with the event had a great day on the bike track was good penciled in for next year. cheers wazza

HaroHardtail

Cannon Fodder
Was the best event, great vibe all weekend. Thanks to all who put it together and helped on the day :clap2:

Where were these showers? I would have loved one before driving home.

I hope you guys consider organising a 24hr there at some stage, the last 25k loop would be so much fun to ride for a whole weekend.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Only decided to do this at the last minute and then only because Mawson got cancelled and I was looking for a decent hit out to waste some form on (and I have a friends wedding to go to for the weekend of the Bottlebrush)...

Wow... what an unexpected surprise.

Awesome vibe around race HQ - lots of friendly people, made me wish I was camping... although with an 8 month pregnant wife that wasn't going to happen!

The course itself was fantastic - 'flat' and fast, a great mix of singletrack and fireroad... as someone who looses time in the twisty stuff it was great - turned into a 4+hr cornering masterclass... try and hold wheels and not loose time on the tighter stuff and then make up time on the open flatter bits. Awesome racing!

The format of two big 50km loops was nice as well - didn't get a chance to pre-ride any of it so it was great to hit some sections a bit harder the second time (the gullys at full tilt 2nd time through was a highlight for me).

Even the drive to and from wasn't too bad - took us about 6hrs (with a 2yr old) on Saturday and got back in under 5 (went through Blayney and bypassed Orange - much quicker, even in the Prado... would have been a hoot in sportier car!).

Negatives? Well none with the race... Hotel in Parkes was... well... ok the room was nice - although not what I booked... the staff were kind of helpful - managed to answer the reception phone 25% of the time I had to call... due to the huge group of teenagers drinking in the next room (requests to move them or us were not possible apparently).

Got a call from the hotel owner discounting our rate on the way back as apparently he had called the police as two rooms and a bunch of stuff had been destroyed... did we hear anything? Hmmm yes... thats why we called you and told you they were destroying the room at 10pm...

So not a lot of sleep but you live and learn and we'll just find a better place for next year (oh and get some local recommendations on where to eat... the strategy of pick the first chinese place we come across and eat there was also not a great success!)

I will be back... chasing sub 4hrs for next year (damm you vicious headwind!)

wazza2795

Likes Bikes
day night

How about a day night event 2 red loops a break then starting in the twilight 2 laps of the blue ? wazza

Thanks!

Congrats and thanks organisers on a very cool race and everyone who competed. It was a brilliant race - I managed to finish the 100km despite the worst cramps of my life!

Also, nice work to competitors at the start of the 100km race - the pace was high in the first 10km or so but people rode safely, courteously and quickly from my point of view - kudos!

6 hours was the (achieved) goal this year - let's say 5 hours next year!

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
I will be back... chasing sub 4hrs for next year (damm you vicious headwind!)
Only one person went sub 4 this year, and he was PINNING it! Ambitious!

Great event, great mascot pulling doughies on a tricycle, and an awesome fun course. Really well marked out too - especially given that all the markers survived that wind!

I too will be back, as will many, many others for sure!

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Only one person went sub 4 this year, and he was PINNING it! Ambitious!

Great event, great mascot pulling doughies on a tricycle, and an awesome fun course. Really well marked out too - especially given that all the markers survived that wind!

I too will be back, as will many, many others for sure!
Nothing like an ambitious goal.... :) I've put in my request for an etra still day already though... Seriously... what was with the wind? How can it be a headwind all the way when it was a couple of loops?