BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Has anyone used spare mounted bike racks such as the Thule 963Pro? I'm looking for something for my Defender, which has a spare on a Kaymar rear wheel carrier. The benefit of course, is the wheel carrier would move the bike out of the way of the cargo area. Wondering if these are strong enough and also if the extra weight will affect the wheel carrier? Anyone have any experience of this?
I had that Thule carrier for a while. It did the job but ultimately I upgraded to a hitch mount.

Strength wise, no issues at all with two bikes for the carrier or spare wheel. It’s pretty well built.
However, if you have anything but a hardtail with a large front triangle, the mounting bars won’t fit your frame. Which means that you have to get one of the adapter bars and then also means the anti-sway straps don’t work and it doesn’t feel that secure.

Without a whole load of foam and protection, 2 bikes just bash about into each other. After one trip left me with a fork stanchion scratch I decided it was going to be cheaper in the long run to go for a tray loading rack

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Bike racks for good mountain bikes (ie ones you care about) are an automatic fail if they require to hang the bike, or if they have anything that clamps onto the frame.

This only leaves IMO platform racks with a hook that comes down onto the top of the top tube or onto a wheel.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I saw a van parked up at the trailhead yesterday with a Shingleback rack hanging off the back, looked like a quality piece of kit and something I'll definitely consider when it comes time for me to get the bikes off the roof.

Hools

Likes Dirt
I had that Thule carrier for a while. It did the job but ultimately I upgraded to a hitch mount.

Strength wise, no issues at all with two bikes for the carrier or spare wheel. It’s pretty well built.
However, if you have anything but a hardtail with a large front triangle, the mounting bars won’t fit your frame. Which means that you have to get one of the adapter bars and then also means the anti-sway straps don’t work and it doesn’t feel that secure.

Without a whole load of foam and protection, 2 bikes just bash about into each other. After one trip left me with a fork stanchion scratch I decided it was going to be cheaper in the long run to go for a tray loading rack
Thanks Joe.

Haakon

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
I have not yet seen another rack that beats this https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A

It is strong, it doesn't wobble, it holds the bike in the best possible way (deep secure wheel loops and a proper downwards pulling hook with a ratchet) and is cheap.

You'll be overpaying with anything else - unless you need something very specific such as for actual off roading in 4WDs.
Nicely offset against each other too.

If only my car could take a towbar....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've been running seasuckers for about 5 years. Here is my initial review:
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/seasucker-talon-review.285940/

It has never ever failed me once (well one suction failed once but the thing has multiple redundancy) but I am kind of over it. Main points going against are:
- They kind of take longer than I would like to set up. This is not an issue with longer drives but it can be a bit of a bane for rides where it's a short drive and you spend more time faffing with the mount.
- You have to remove them from the car once at said MTB location and keep them in the car to avoid it getting stolen.
- Although it has never failed in all the years of use, this hasn't dampened my fear of losing a bike on the freeway.
- Sick of having MTBs on the roof - they are better off on the rear.

Now that I don't own anymore sports coupes, I am trying to find my way around the strange new world of tow bars!

Haakon

Towbars in Australia are usually overpriced and overbuilt for most uses... Especially for those of with european cars.

I've got euro style swan neck towbars (those phallic looking ones with the ball a part of the neck) because they're way cheaper to import from europe than buy here, they're better made than a Hayman Reese, are a better fit, and are a lot less obvious.

To mount a bike rack, I use an adapter that just drops onto the ball and clamps on - makes installing the rack a 10 second job.

https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/857620/Quick-fit-Berger-Schroeter-20121-20121

This I use with the cyclingdeal rack and its to my mind the perfect rack.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I've got euro style swan neck towbars
I thought it was for cars that had a low bumper (so it avoids needing to cut the bumper). In any case I might have to go for this option as it looks like lots of swan necks for my car but only one option for a normal tongue and ball style.

Question though: How stable are these things? I always thought that a clamp onto a round object is a bad idea. Much prefer 2in hitch and after that, a direct bolt on. I struggle to see how clamping onto a ball is strong enough - is this what you are referring to? Something like this: https://www.thule.com.au/products/bike-carriers/thule-970003-xpress-towbar-2-bike-carrier/. It looks like you just clamp it onto a ball and then it miraculously stays up and doesn't move. Or are you using it with a trailer?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I thought it was for cars that had a low bumper (so it avoids needing to cut the bumper). In any case I might have to go for this option as it looks like lots of swan necks for my car but only one option for a normal tongue and ball style.

Question though: How stable are these things? I always thought that a clamp onto a round object is a bad idea. Much prefer 2in hitch and after that, a direct bolt on. I struggle to see how clamping onto a ball is strong enough - is this what you are referring to? Something like this: https://www.thule.com.au/products/bike-carriers/thule-970003-xpress-towbar-2-bike-carrier/. It looks like you just clamp it onto a ball and then it miraculously stays up and doesn't move. Or are you using it with a trailer?
I can't run a hitch on my cruze so I have to run a ball mounted Torp7 4 bike rack and it's fine. It does swivel a little as the plate that lines it up coming up off the towbar tongue is a little smaller than the rack itself but bar that it's fine. Holds solid and I can lock it to the ball too.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I can't run a hitch on my cruze so I have to run a ball mounted Torp7 4 bike rack and it's fine. It does swivel a little as the plate that lines it up coming up off the towbar tongue is a little smaller than the rack itself but bar that it's fine. Holds solid and I can lock it to the ball too.
I was referring o the ones that clamp onto a ball. I can make do with a tongue but clamping to a ball is a whole new level of trust for me. That Thule one I linked actually clamps onto a ball. With the swan necks there is no bolting surface and you have to clamp it like the Thule product. It's kind of scary.

Edit: here is a video of the install. Seems like too many DOF for me. I'd go suction cups over that.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The hang on is a different fitment to the xpress. The xpress requires no tools and has a hand operated locking clamp between the arms. It literally takes 10 seconds to fit, and folds very compactly so you can chuck it in the boot without taking up stupid amounts of real estate. I have had one for a few years and it's great for non suspension bikes and hard tails, but you won't get a dually on there unless your frame has a large enough gap between the seat tube/ top tube brace. Also realistically getting two bikes on it requires a bit of bike jengha and padding. I've actually got a three bike version but two adult bikes take up all the space.

I've also got one of those 4 bike Torp7 racks and it's plenty solid enough clamping onto the towball. They do have an anti-sway plate you fit to the tongue under the ball initially, and also require a spanner for taking the rack on and off.

Edit: seat tube clarification

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I was referring o the ones that clamp onto a ball. I can make do with a tongue but clamping to a ball is a whole new level of trust for me. That Thule one I linked actually clamps onto a ball. With the swan necks there is no bolting surface and you have to clamp it like the Thule product. It's kind of scary.

Edit: here is a video of the install. Seems like too many DOF for me. I'd go suction cups over that.
It does clamp onto the ball. Well it sits over the ball if that's what you're getting at? I'd rather mine than suckers

Haakon

For my clamp thingy, its pretty solid. Its the sudden swerving that will make it swivel and I've not had it move during high(ish) speed roundabout move, or hooking around that off ramp at tyre screeching speeds. So all good I think.

If you look at the handle length you get an idea of how much clamping force it exerts - it grips on pretty damn tightly!!