Blue Mountain Downhill Riders.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
good news and bad news

looks like some potential bad news

email 3
Cheers Soren

Will treat as an opportunity to both assist in the short term with hopefully the view of highlighting to the council members of the need an willingness of the overall community.

Would appreciate any efforts you may make in organising or seeking approval to organise a work day, and again, I am happy to assist to seeking volunteers.

Regards
Alan

email 2

Subject: RE: Track Maintenance: Old Bathurst Road
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:42:52 +1000
To: screaming_gecko@hotmail.com

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Essentially the proposed works at the Old Bathurst road track will be to close some of the track, and install drainage works on the the ones we do not close.

Because there is no formal plan for the area, Council cannot formally indorse or provide for downhill bike riding at this site. However if and when a Plan of Management is developed for this area, formalisation of the track will be considered.

In the meantime Council is managing the site to minimise environmental impact (Exclude 4WD access and undertake soil conservation works and rubbish removal) So as part of the soil conservation work program Council will be closing some track and installing drainage on others.

I would like to be able to run a formal workday with bike riders on the site, however, as the broader planning for this site and the activity has not occurred, I cannot guarantee that the track will be kept open in the future, or that an alternative site would be provided. However if riders are willing to work under the understanding that it is a temporary arrangement there is an opportunity for a cooperative arrangement.

In the first instance I would like to have a bike riders or riders who regularly uses the site to assist in making decision on which tracks riders would prefer to keep open, and which one they could accept being closed. So if you were available to meet on site and assist with this please let me know.

I will check out the website suggested.

Regards

Soren Mortensen
Bushland Management Officer
Blue Mountains City Council

Tel: (02) 4780 5742
Mob: 0413 155 742
Email: smortensen@bmcc.nsw.gov.au

email 1
From: Screaming Gecko [mailto:screaming_gecko@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, 23 August 2009 10:13 PM
To: Soren Mortensen
Subject: Track Maintenance: Old Bathurst Road

Dear Mr Mortensen
With regards to the sign posted at the trail head for the Old Bathurst Road Downhill trails. Firstly, the many riders that use the facility commend council for the initiative for organising the periodic rehabilitation and maintenance of track sections.

A small group of Mountain Bike enthusiasts have been undertaking maintenance of the tracks, however, given the popularity of the site for riders more regular and council supported efforts would make the trails a model for sustainable Mountain Bike trails.

There is a large cross section of trail users that would support regular volunteer efforts to maintain the track with www.rotorburn.com being a good outlet to call for volunteers. The site is also a good resource to seek advice from track design, to construction techniques, and possibly even commission one of the dedicated trail design consultancies that frequent the site like Dirt art or MV Trail Design.

To close my fellow track users and I again thank Council for this initiative, and I look forward to participating in a future volunteer trail maintenance program, and would be happy to assist in the organisation of this program if required.

With thanks
Alan

Alan David
Screaming_gecko@hotmail.com

[edit] council disclaimers were removed from the email, but still apply.

unitec

Likes Dirt
Local Riders??

Nice work Nerf
Where are all the local riders though?
Nerf's cracked open an opportunity here however from the council guys response it seems that someone from the area needs to step up.
Don't be shy guys I'm sure there would be plenty of support.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I received the same email.
good stuff ... Lets see how we go ... I'm happy to tag team with you and whoever Dude.

Also trying to get some other club support. we'll see.

The good news is that its not a full closure ... so maybs a track day like Kyle suggested would be a good idea.

Cheers fellas ... send more emails.

kyle brown

Likes Bikes
hey guys i would be keen for helping and doing some track work but since i broke my collar bone i will be out for at least 8 weeks

Last edited:

JoshP

Likes Dirt
Iam up for track maintenance too, count me in. i can easily bring lots of tools so no problem there.
We need to keep OBR running its the only track up here thats close by and desent to ride.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Howdy Fellas

Tentative plans for a ride and dig day on either the weekend of

19th / 20th or 26th / 27th. prolly the Saturday

I've again emailed council with a invitation of sorts to attend, so they can inform us which tracks are slated for closure or otherwise get your buy in as to which tracks we want to keep.

I'll use this thread to organise from now on so that I don't clatter up your ride thread.

Looking forward to meeting / greeting and getting your input as to what you want to maintain ... I reckon we start down the bottom and armour up some of those ruts and other erode bits.

Post up what days you prefer.

Cheers
Al

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds good nerf herder. going away on the 27th, but should be free the rest of the time.

Sections that need work.. mainly the singletrack after the road gap, and a few spots with fallen trees etc.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
peeps ... few of us are heading to OBR on saturday if you wanna meet and greet and generally bash some baby heads :)

you'll need to sort your shuttles, but be good to meet some of you lads :p

hucker_boy

weekly chode
im heading out to obr for some train runs today at about 12pm, anyone is welcome to come, if i see people building then i will stop and help out so hopefully i will see a fair few riders there.

ChemoDave

Squid
Monday

Does anyone have a time or any details for meet up on Monday. Was going to do Yella, But if there are some guys doing OBR, would like to hook up

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Well, my arms in a cast till next friday, and it's school hollies, so if there are any rides going on next week I'd be happy to get some shots while I'm not on the bike.