eBikes - what's the current perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Uphill firetrail grinder climbs sure will work fine for it.

Sure will cloud Strava though. Nasty climbs at higher than normal speeds that can't be proven if e-assisted.
Strava gets hacked anyway, one of my local climbs ( short, techy, windy, under branches, between trees, between houses...) has a KOM av speed of about 35 km/h. You couldn't do that on a dirt bike! its about half the time of the nearest rider. The segment at Chandler hwy steps going down has a quickest time of 3 seconds. If I took the garmin off and threw it it still would be more than 3 seconds!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Strava gets hacked anyway, one of my local climbs ( short, techy, windy, under branches, between trees, between houses...) has a KOM av speed of about 35 km/h. You couldn't do that on a dirt bike! its about half the time of the nearest rider.
I've heard about the fake GPS thing. Behold the non riding nerd on the couch that ends up being a Strava podium contender. All hail............. :sad: Anyhow, it is best to ride for fun only.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Bottom line is pedal assist bikes that have a slight delay or assist modes you need to tap up and down through aren't suited to single track.
Have you tried torque sensing? Whole new ballgame. Feels really and proportional to your own strength, un-noticable lag. basically makes a stronger you. You can't burn-out and wreck the trails as well without applying significant force of your own (i.e. you are actually trying to wreck the trail which is irrespective of e bike or not).

I was anti -e bike for a while - mostly because the cadence sensor ones were too on/off which basically made them throttle bikes (motorbikes!). I have a different view with torque sensing. I plan to get one to do major range extending rides that would have been impossible in a day otherwise.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Strava gets hacked anyway, one of my local climbs ( short, techy, windy, under branches, between trees, between houses...) has a KOM av speed of about 35 km/h. You couldn't do that on a dirt bike! its about half the time of the nearest rider. The segment at Chandler hwy steps going down has a quickest time of 3 seconds. If I took the garmin off and threw it it still would be more than 3 seconds!
I've heard about the fake GPS thing. Behold the non riding nerd on the couch that ends up being a Strava podium contender. All hail............. :sad: Anyhow, it is best to ride for fun only.
That's another reason why you never trust Strava results. I've seen an idiot on my local trails with an electric downhill bike hitting the start of the trail at about 60ks and when I went down after him, it looked like he had over cooked a couple of the berms.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So, in summary; it's totally and utterly pointless?
...which means throttles and owner selected power output should be allowed.

That's another reason why you never trust Strava results. I've seen an idiot on my local trails with an electric downhill bike hitting the start of the trail at about 60ks and when I went down after him, it looked like he had over cooked a couple of the berms.
Darwin hard at work.

Flow-Rider

Burner
...which means throttles and owner selected power output should be allowed.

Darwin hard at work.
When stereotyping is real and he was a big fat chunt of coarse.

Funny enough I done a few laps of the trail and another bloke starts chatting to me at the top of the trail head then he turns up again. The dude I was talking to, strangely enough gave him a heap of lip and the E-bike dude responded by telling us if he had to pedal up the hill he wouldn't be bothered riding at all.

The trail just isn't made for that sort of extra speed and no one wants to do trail care in that area so they stay fucked for a long time.

Last edited:

Hyena

Likes Bikes
So, in summary; it's totally and utterly pointless?
Not utterly. haha. Just not ideally suited to tight offroading. Unfortunately regulators have determined throttles allow people to be lazy and/or evil and so everything is i going the way of pedal assist. As Calvin said maybe the fancier torque sensing ones are better but to me it still has the limitation that it's on all the time when I may not want any assistance, or I'm tabbing up and down selecting levels of assistance.

Sure will cloud Strava though. Nasty climbs at higher than normal speeds that can't be proven if e-assisted.
Only a douche would log strava runs on an ebike. I use it occasionally to track my rides but I always make sure it's set

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Unfortunately regulators have determined...snip
I think you mean fortunately. If people want to ride a throttle controlled motorised bike, regardless of how the energy is derived, they don't belong on mountain bike trails. In fact they should be regulated and controlled in the same fashion as traditional motorcycles. Pedal operated cyclists are having enough trouble thrown their direction by people that don't want to share the path/road/trail with them, without the input of almost silent motorised bikes whizzing past. I have too many stupid people confuse my bike for a motorbike as it is. I mean I huff and puff pretty hard, but I'm hardly sounding like a 2 stroke 125...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just for the record, never seen an e-bike wank turn up to trail care either. Oh sorry that's right because they can't, their legs and arms might fall off from some disability.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just for the record, never seen an e-bike wank turn up to trail care either. Oh sorry that's right because they can't, their legs and arms might fall off from some disability.
They should at least turn up to build days on their motorised wheelchairs to bark orders about what works best on a trail for a 25kg+ frankenbike that can't corner...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They should at least turn up to build days on their motorised wheelchairs to bark orders about what works best on a trail for a 25kg+ frankenbike that can't corner...
Sounds like they would run pretty well on the highways that get passed off as xc/am trails around here...

Hyena

Likes Bikes
cyclists are having enough trouble thrown their direction by people that don't want to share the path/road/trail with them
Doesn't it suck when people like this go out of their way to try and make your life difficult when you're minding your own business and just want to get out and ride some trails...

I have too many stupid people confuse my bike for a motorbike as it is
How does that happen ? Are you tearing past pedestrians in motorbike like fashion ?

Just for the record, never seen an e-bike wank turn up to trail care either
Heh funny you should say that, I took this photo on the weekend of my mini trail fairy assistants helping me build some new trails and jumps.
Sorry it also contains imagery of a monstrous ebike (primarily used for riding fire trails and on properties with dirt bikes)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Heh funny you should say that, I took this photo on the weekend of my mini trail fairy assistants helping me build some new trails and jumps.
Sorry it also contains imagery of a monstrous ebike (primarily used for riding fire trails and on properties with dirt bikes)

Ahhhhh, you're "one of those" E bike riders. Well, that thing isn't a mountain bike and isn't welcome on trails that I build and ride so best to stick to your trails that the super experienced E bike trail building team you have assembled build.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Neither of those bikes (in the video or the photo above) could be classed as bicycles. Both are motorbikes, plain and simple and shouldn't be on any type trail.

For commuting or riding on fire trails, ok, but then they should have to be registered like any other motorbike.

Hyena

Likes Bikes
Nope I dont ride that one on mtb trials. I'm not in denial that it's essentially an electric dirt bike (albeit half the weight and less destructive to the trails than even a the smallest 125)
This one I do ride mtb trails on - it's much lighter and more nimble though I suppose most mtb purists would lump them both into the same basket.
http://i.imgur.com/x4TyD7m.jpg

All I see is young kids working on a trail and you already proved yourself to be a dick on here.
Wow that vid is from the archives - 6 years ago! Obviously that's not an average outing and just a collection of high speed/hooning clips. I can find you an old video of me doing burnouts too but that's not how I drive to work, or drop my kids at school or 99.9% of other times I'm behind the wheel. But whatever, it sounds like there's no civil discussion to be had here and you've made up your mind, Tracy Grimshaw.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Nope I dont ride that one on mtb trials. I'm not in denial that it's essentially an electric dirt bike (albeit half the weight and less destructive to the trails than even a the smallest 125)
This one I do ride mtb trails on - it's much lighter and more nimble though I suppose most mtb purists would lump them both into the same basket.
http://i.imgur.com/x4TyD7m.jpg

Wow that vid is from the archives - 6 years ago! Obviously that's not an average outing and just a collection of high speed/hooning clips. I can find you an old video of me doing burnouts too but that's not how I drive to work, or drop my kids at school or 99.9% of other times I'm behind the wheel. But whatever, it sounds like there's no civil discussion to be had here and you've made up your mind, Tracy Grimshaw.
It must be a trait of owners of bikes like that thing to act like total fucking cocks. You've said in one breath that you don't ride one version of your motorized scooter on trails but then in the next you say you ride another version of it on trails AND THEN you cry foul suggesting this forum isn't open to discussing things like adults. Its a ah, it's a mountain bike website champ and you are stirring the hornets nest and pissing me off especially. I sound like the grumpy old know-it-all here but kindly fuck off. I haven't spent twenty three years slaving away creating and sharing amazing trails for twatsacks like you and your kin to come along and ride it like that. Regardless of the video's age, you'd still do it so unless you want a mattock up the back of your head Tracy, I'd suggest you pipe down and stop ranting about your shitbox bike

Status
Not open for further replies.