Electric Vehicles etc

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Read it last night and was infuriated by it. What a bunch of backwards brainless toss. I only hope this doesn't set a precedent for other states to follow.

EDIT: if you are in SA and have been thinking of buying EV, get your skates on. There is a hint that the tax could be imposed on purchase and based on distance travelled. You can avoid the first if you buy now as the tax doesn't come in until July 2021.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Something was always going to come in to make up for the reduced revenue the government (state or federal) will see due to reduced fuel sales. You can argue about who receives that money and where is spent but it’s still revenue the government will at some stage start to miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Something was always going to come in to make up for the reduced revenue the government (state or federal) will see due to reduced fuel sales. You can argue about who receives that money and where is spent but it’s still revenue the government will at some stage start to miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some of the funds recovered could be used for environmental initiatives to reduce emissions in the transport sector

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
LOLWOT? Am I missing something here - taxing EVs to provide a tax break?
This sounds a lot like what the government almost always do. What to say when u have a bunch of short-sighted people who only cares about their mates in charge of the country.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Being a former Treasury official, I know exactly how state politicians and their dollar counting bureaucrats think. Given that most states already struggle to keep in the black, losing a revenue item like fuel excise is not an exciting prospect.

The best option would be to introduce pay as you go charging based on distance travelled, weight of the vehicle and congestion zones for all vehicles. Petrol and diesel vehicles would see fuel excise replaced with a carbon tax.

An extra registration charge for EVs based on weight and an estimated average distance travelled is a very second best option. But until states find some other way to plug that revenue gap...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
An extra registration charge for EVs based on weight and an estimated average distance travelled is a very second best option. But until states find some other way to plug that revenue gap...
That was my thought. If they slid it into the registration charge, without saying anything, I doubt anyone would have noticed

clockworked

Like an orange
They should just fire whatever bureaucrats that are reaponsible for collecting and accounting for the fuel excise. That'd also save some money

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
They should just fire whatever bureaucrats that are reaponsible for collecting and accounting for the fuel excise. That'd also save some money
Maybe they should fire the people that maintain the roads while they are at it. Actually why stop there? Lets get rid of the teachers, nurses, fireys....

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
The MG ZS is launching at $44K - apparently the start of their offerings to the Aus market.

Wouldn't touch the petrol offerings, but will be interested to see how these are received since since its a fair chunk cheaper than the Kona etc.

Which type of consumer goes for a "cheap" EV etc.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
The MG ZS is launching at $44K - apparently the start of their offerings to the Aus market.

Wouldn't touch the petrol offerings, but will be interested to see how these are received since since its a fair chunk cheaper than the Kona etc.

Which type of consumer goes for a "cheap" EV etc.
The easily burnt.