If you have a beard, guess what...., you're an idiot.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The grey will really pop as pink, purple, blue, green, whatever colour your feeling like dipping your beard tip into.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah, just love it. I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE89, Omega brush, Astra blades and Proraso. Sometimes, I'm slack and shave DE in the shower with cheapo conditioner, and it works well. Either way, I do use a twin blade for under my nose. But, yeah, after you're all set, it's about $10 a year for blades and the shave is smooth as a babies ...
Since you can't avoid shaving then it is one of those repetitive things you might as well get right.

The running costs are next to nothing like you say. I have done the $20 trial pack of blades and just liked the sharpness of the feathers so bought a big bunch of those. Although there are many shaving hipster aficionados that seem to throw large buckets of $$$ at it like bike folks do.

The classic look of real shavers is nice too.
Let's see if Tapatalk puts it upside down as usual.

Behold my facial hair removal tools.
DSC_0163.jpeg

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Edit: The bathroom is not usually sideways for the record.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Ha nice one guys. I might as well own up to the DE shaving obsession here too.

Bought a DE razor for my first ‘fathers day’ when i became a dad 5 years ago.

“Above The Tie - Titan” DE razor, Feather blades.
Simpson Chubby 1, Chubby 2 and Classic 1 brushes.

Spent a small fortune the first year buying creams and soaps but havent had to buy any more over the last 4 years, probably got 10years worth of Soaps to work through now and a lifetime of Feather blades.

Probably some sort of metaphor of life here too...

Had kid, started DE shaving, daily. Next year, another kid... DE shaving couple times a week. 5 years on, id give up shaving all together if i didnt feel it would be unacceptable to take my kids to school looking like how i feel. Shave once every 7-10days. Im sure ill end up old and using an erazor one day heaven forbid.

Travis.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I use www.dollarshaveclub.com - its awesome. Costs $11 per month for four 6 blade cartridges per month posted. They give you a very nice heavy handle (they added another one for me for free as I shave at work three days a week). The shave butter they have is lovely too.

Works for me!

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Resurrecting this thread for some advice /because its a funny read/ maybe get @johnny's ire up again

I've had a beard for about 10 years now, and on and off again the 5 before that. The trouble is its starting to get white in it (at the tender age of almost 35) and the Canberra cold air is drying it out so much that it becomes a hideous wirey mess.

I can't go clean shaven because I look like a kid. So I need some kind of trimmer. The trouble is that my beard hair is thick and hard to get through. I've got a Braun Cruzer thing that cant cut the hairs lower than my cheek bones so has sat in my drawer for close to a decade. I tried it again last night, no luck.

Anyone got a recommendation for a trimmer/clipper than will tame this beast?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Are those double edge numbers a high risk operation? I'm fucking useless with a regular razor.
I've read that there is a learning curve with the DE razors that results in blood letting.

When I can stretch a cartridge out for a couple of weeks, and the outlay for a merkur handle is $60 and I gotta relearn how to shave (albeit without the accas) I can't see the point and I get a faint whiff of hipster

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I feel like this is going to be the same for me...I shave once a week if I'm on my game. It'll take me years to learn how to shave a different way. Is this like when everyone wanted to look like George clooney? But smooth instead of stubbly?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Are those double edge numbers a high risk operation? I'm fucking useless with a regular razor.
Surprisingly easier than a gnar Newcastle road gap. The trick is not to push and just drag a sharp razor across your face and let the blade do the work. Each pass removes the easiest to shave hair first. I get about 4 shaves out of a feather blade.

1st pass is top to bottom (WTG - With The Grain)
2nd pass is ear to mouth (XTG - Across The Grain)
3rd pass is bottom to top (ATG - Against The Grain)
If you have warts and other horizontally growing facial meaty bits then a sharp may not be your friend.

This sharpness comparison looks fairly accurate.
https://hairfreelife.com/the-sharpest-double-edged-razor-blades-top-to-bottom/

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Surprisingly easier than a gnar Newcastle road gap. The trick is not to push and just drag a sharp razor across your face and let the blade do the work. Each pass removes the easiest to shave hair first. I get about 4 shaves out of a feather blade.

1st pass is top to bottom (WTG - With The Grain)
2nd pass is ear to mouth (XTG - Across The Grain)
3rd pass is bottom to top (ATG - Against The Grain)
If you have warts and other horizontally growing facial meaty bits then a sharp may not be your friend.

This sharpness comparison looks fairly accurate.
https://hairfreelife.com/the-sharpest-double-edged-razor-blades-top-to-bottom/
Bam...too hard basket as soon as I saw more than one swipe. I'm all about the quick shave...