Is DH only for the younguns?

jill

Likes Bikes
But it is prettly lonely if you are a woman downhiller (30+ or not). Last race I was at I was the only female competitor. The race before that one other woman turned up.

So please encourage your girlfriends, wives, daughters to give it a go.

You see plenty of fathers with their sons. Why not fathers with their daughters? Or even better mums with their daughters at the DH race?
I agree - I get quite excited if I see another female riding DH.

I discovered mountain biking 4 years ago at the young age of 45, bought my first DH bike at 46 and started racing at 47 - still slow compared to the boys, but I don't care. I'll keep doing it as long as I'm still having fun. :)

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Hmmm. Can't quite figure out if you were 17 when you bought your first bike, or 35.
Sorry I had not had a bike since I was 17. I thought everyone stopped riding bikes as soon as they got a licence to drive :) I now wish I had never stopped.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I am turning 42 and still getting faster.
I'm slightly younger ... but I think I'm getting faster too ... been pushing myself to overcome mental barriers ... friggin annoying

To the OP, you'll find that the occassional DH session will increase your XC bike handling as well ... which will only make you that much faster on the downs :cool:

Give it a go ... plenty of cheap 2nd hand DH rigs out there.

Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but the leader of the opposition has just ok'd a week in Whistler next year for my 40th b'day present :)

scblack

Leucocholic
Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but the leader of the opposition has just ok'd a week in Whistler next year for my 40th b'day present :)
Great work!

40th birthdays are good - I landed a new DH bike.:)

Edit.

I just had a thought about that. When I was 8years old I got a bike for my birthday, and was super excited.

Now I'm 40years old, and super excited to get a bike for my birthday.

Have I grown up at all??????:confused::eek:

Last edited:

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great work!

40th birthdays are good - I landed a new DH bike.:)

Edit.

I just had a thought about that. When I was 8years old I got a bike for my birthday, and was super excited.

Now I'm 40years old, and super excited to get a bike for my birthday.

Have I grown up at all??????:confused::eek:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is a choice. I choose not to!

Birthday presents don't come any better than a new bike.:D

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
No tats for me but I've got enough scars that if I had tats they'd probably be ripped up anyway.

Spend a few grand on tats or a few grand on a new Santa Cruz?
UMMM??? Not hard really.

I like to be different too. I'm a Ranga! :D
I'm a Ranga too, and I'll still be riding when I'm 30+, well that's the plan!

There's a guy at my local that's over 30 and races regularly, last time I saw him he had fallen off and got a stick stuck in his side, couldn't wait to get better and get back on it either.

I'd take a week in Whistler. There are easy (so I've heard) trails with little to no jumps or drops, plus there are B lines to avoid certain scary obstacles.
Pretty sure as long as you keep your head on and don't go too hard (can happen at any age, probably more likely at a younger age though) then you'll be sweet.

On a side note, do many young guys ride XC or 50/100km races? I'd love to but my mates are too hardcore (read: too unfit).

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Yeeeeooooow - us too. We both turn the BIG 4 0 next year and will be at Whistler for our Birthdays! :eek: