My bike diary

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've always wanted a DH bike and just picked up this beastie...

I can't see me riding DH often, but for the price it was too good to pass up. The hubs and headset need new bearings, forks need a service and I'll replace a few other bits with stuff I have lying around so when it's needed it is there.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The V10 has been mostly stripped down.

The wheels will be replaced with something a little lighter and possibly easier to set up tubeless seeing as the hubs need new bearings anyway. The headset will be replaced as the bearings are shot and the top cap doesn't seem to seal very well. I'll replace the cranks with something a bit lighter.

A direct mount stem will be in order to replace the 70mm long one currently on there. Do people use 70mm stems on DH bikes? That is about the limit for me on AM/XC bikes now.

I'll swap the dodgy Avid brakes onto the singlespeed and put the older XTs from that onto the V10. I have new grips and tyres so they are easy. The spare seat post is too large in diameter so I'll buy a new one of those too. Eventually I'll put a lighter air shock on the back too.

Based on the axles not having any grease on them I'll assume the pivots will need a lube as well.

This bike will be a long term project. I'm not in a hurry to get it done.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked up a set of 2015 Reynolds Assault SLG wheels for the Moots. I thought I had a spare set of tyres at home but don't. Some 25C road tubeless tyres, either Hutchinson Fusion 3s or Schwalbe Ones, will be on the soon and then I can try the wheels out. :party:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put the IRC Formula Pro tyres on from the old wheels. They were the easiest road tubeless fit that I've had. Unfortunately my tiny compressor won't seat the beads just yet. At least they look good.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been meaning to set the bikes up on wall mounts for the past few years and finslly got around to doing it. It saves a lot of space.

Now to tidy everything else up. :(

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Garage is tidied up. :)

Put an Ardent on the front of the Liteville after trying a Michelin Wild Grip'r. The Michelin was a bit narrow at 2.1" but the 2.25" Ardent doesn't make that big a difference and neither are as good as the Conti Trail King that was on there. I've ordered a Minion DHF 2.3", not the 2.35" to try out.

Put a new headset on the V10 to replace the DaBomb unit that was on there and all notchy. Cranks and bb are next. Wheels, brakes, direct mount stem will almost do it.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've swapped the Syntace seat post clamp from the Liteville for a KCNC bolt up model. The qr lever on the Syntace clamp used to catch my shorts and the KCNC was the only one I could find to fit the 38mm seat tube. It seems to work okay.

I'll be changing the forks on the Liteville and Nicolai at some stage as well. Something new for the Nicolai.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was hoping for some Marzocchi 350 NCR Titanium forks for the Nicolai but after waiting 2 months with no word on when they might appear in Australia I went for Pikes instead. 160mm on the Nicolai.

The 150mm Pikes from the Nicolai went onto the Liteville.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After riding the Liteville with the Pikes fitted over the weekend it is like riding a whole new bike. The handling is much better with the fork stiffness being noticeably increased compared to the 32mm Marzocchi 44s. I loved the 44s too but the Pikes are much better on the Liteville.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The V10 is nearly done.

Frame - Santa Cruz V10
Fork - Fox 40 RC2
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar
Stem - Truvativ Hozfeller direct mount
Headset - FSA Pig DH
Grips - TLD
Saddle - to be changed
Seatpost - Race Face Deus XC but will probably need to be changed to get a flatter seat angle
Brakes - Shimano M8000 XT
Cranks - RF Atlas cinch still to be fitted. RF Diablos at the moment.
Chainguide - E13
Chain - SRAM
Pedals - Time ATAC to be fitted
Rear derailleur - SRAM X9
Rear shifter - SRAM X9 9 speed
Cassette - SRAM
Wheels - Mavic Deemax Ultimate
Tyres - Conti Rubber Queen UST 2.4"

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The spare Moots seat collar I had is the right size for the V10! So it's now on there instead of the QR Evil collar.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The RF Atlas cranks fitted and the Moots seat collar. The forks need a service and I'll probably try to get a CCDB Air for the rear.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I fitted an external bottom headset cup that allows a tapered steerer fork to be used on the Mach 5 frame. I've got the RS Revelation WC fork fitted at the moment but I might see how the 44 goes on there.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been riding the SS a bit lately and the old 90mm stem and 680mm wide bars just felt too wrong. I've chucked an old Syncros 70mm stem and 740mm Renthal Fatbar Lite bars on it.

I might need to play with the tensioner or run a guide or try a new chainring after dropping the chain today.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm still waiting for some parts for the Cotic, which means I've had a lot of time to look at the frame. While I'm pretty sure nothing catastrophic will happen while riding it, I'm a bit disappointed in the build quality. The head badge has already come loose and it hasn't left the garage yet. There is a daggy weld on the drive side dropout where the chainstay meets and some undercutting on the down tube/seat tube intersection at the bb. The frame is described as being able to fit a 2.4" tyre, and it does. But 3mm of clearance between the tyre and chainstay isn't a lot. There's some paint on the bb threads and I think the ovalising on the top tube where it meets the seat tube has gone a bit too far.

I'm sure it will ride just fine. The reviews are all good. It's not as well made as the Sanderson Life I had before or the Evil Sovereign I still have though.

Last edited: