Newly Released Bikes General

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Don't be fooled, the Trek downtube's are fucken XBAWKS HEUGE!!!
Although the opening might look relatively small in the picture, I'm guessing it'll be more then spacious to challenge the big S version.
Imagine the ones on e-bikes. But who needs [insert sausage of choice] when you have a motor?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Trek’s new Fuel EX has its own version of a SWAT box...

I nearly spat my coffee out reading the PB comments.
New acronym for the trek version of the SWAT box - lol, for those who missed the comments, short summary....

The T.W.A.T. Box being the winner, but I also like the Booty Hole (as Bontrager hole), and the Putting In Something Sometimes flap

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Don't be fooled, the Trek downtube's are fucken XBAWKS HEUGE!!!
Although the opening might look relatively small in the picture, I'm guessing it'll be more then spacious to challenge the big S version.
It would need to be big enough for a trail-side carbon fibre repair kit, for when the bars travel more than 85 degrees in either direction and the fork crown smashes the downtube! Cock block and TWAT box...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Dunno if it’s been mentioned already but what’s the thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks nice if somewhat generic in form - but conservative looks are a safe bet. That bottle cage looks like a token addition for the "must have bottle holder in main triangle" crowd - it doesn't look like you'd get a very large bottle in there with the X2.

cdw1008

Squid
Looks nice if somewhat generic in form - but conservative looks are a safe bet. That bottle cage looks like a token addition for the "must have bottle holder in main triangle" crowd - it doesn't look like you'd get a very large bottle in there with the X2.
I was thinking more about the lack of conventional driveline. No more bent hangers but I’m wondering about reliability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredden

Knows his goats
I'm just glad the 2020 Kona Process 153 DL is exactly the same as the 2019 I bought a few weeks ago :D Not redundant for another year!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Here she is - and she's...a bit ugly! But only a bit...I'd still have her:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-tallboy-trail-bike-2020-review.html

How does it compare?

Ever heard of Trek's Fuel EX? You know, the one that was released only a few days ago. The one that I've been riding back-to-back against the Tallboy for the last month or so. Yeah, that one. We've got a video comparison of the two bikes (don't call it a shootout) coming out soon in which Kazimer and I actually agree on most of the talking points, but the bottom line is that the Tallboy and Fuel EX couldn't be more different.

With both bike's suspension left open, the Tallboy feels more than just marginally more efficient. Firmed up, the Fuel EX has plenty of jump to it, but you'll need to use that lever. No opinion there, just fact. The Fuel is a bit quicker in the steering department, and that'd make it my choice if the ride were full of awkward, mid-speed stuff instead of fast, rough, or steep trails - those places are where the Tallboy is more at home. Yes, both bikes are capable and adaptable, but it's also pretty neat that two companies ended up with such different solutions to the same purpose.

Given it has the same intentions and rear-wheel travel, the other bike we have to talk about is the new Ripley. The Ibis is the bike I'd choose if my rides were long and my climbs were hard, but the Tallboy feels more capable in the rough and steep.
If you ever needed an example of how travel doesn't define performance, the new Tallboy is it. Santa Cruz's new trail bike can be ridden nearly anywhere and everywhere, but those who have fun pushing their limits on short-travel bikes will be the ones getting the most from the Tallboy.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Here she is - and she's...a bit ugly! But only a bit...I'd still have her:
They will sell a bunch of those. The little crapguard over the rear shock is nice touch too.
I haven't had a go a Tallboy yet but will be doing a bike swap test ride one day with you. I forget to tell you, oops.... :)