Scott 24hr 2009

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
Is there any way to see the overall results? Some of my friends were the only team in their category and I know they'd like to see how they did overall rather than how they did compared to no one :)

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're still missing your laps from the end?

Cheers
Gonz

Yeah i'm missing 5 laps between the hours of 1am and 6am, or did i dream those ones?
Does sleeping in your riding clothes help?

Last edited:

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Well, at least I didn't fall in a heap like True Swain did.:)
I was wondering what had happened to him - he looked super strong when he lapped me just before dawn. Hope he's ok.

Also, to clarify a general thing, I think Bec rode almost all her laps on the rigid SS stumpy - maybe a couple on the (also SS) duallie, but I think the tensioner broke. Mucho respect!

Dreggsy - you don't sleep in your lycra? ;)

DHdreamer

Likes Bikes
It was my first mtb race, have been doing adventure races for the last year (bought a bike 13 months ago). Competed in a team of 4 with all the boys being in exactly the same situation.

Really enjoyed it, though was a little hard to get out of bed for my night laps, apparently there was some comments around bugger off i'm not going when nudged awake, but once you pull the gear on and get out there you a fine.

I thought the atmosphere on track was great, had two laps where passed more people than passed me and two where more passed me than i passed, at all times everyone seemed pretty courteous and aware. THough did come of once when a rider was overtaking balked and cut back in, but no harm done and he was genuinley sorry. It happens i guess so wasn't complaining.

Will say that having flats, not clip in's, and riding a hardtail where not wise moves. Think will have to purchase some clip in's soon, and consider the whether i really want to drop some money on the dually, hopefully the scratchie i'm owed by a mate for posting a faster lap time than him comes up trumps and can feel less guilty about dropping cash on a dually when should be saving...
Four laps boy!:)

morto1980

Likes Dirt
i was a little dissapointed to everyone who didnt take our little makeshift jump near the end. that includes batman too.

but there was one guy who insisted on launching it about 5 metres and completely missing the whole rock garden every lap, which made for a bit of fun spectating.
Dude - riding past on my last lap (weary as you are after riding all night) - all I saw was arrows pointing all over the place (sometimes at each other) that confused the hell out of me. I would have hit it if I could have found it :D

I did pump the downramp as instructed though :cool:

wilbur

Cannon Fodder
The Barfer

So I missed the preso, but heard that some mention was made of the barf. It turns out it was the guy camping next to me. He came in a some point in the night saying how he had been overdoing the gu's, pizzas, cokes, etc. and had a spew out on the track.

I thought it was a great effort - half a k in and covering the only patch of bitumen on the track. It certainly got some comments.....

chops007

Likes Dirt
I was wondering what had happened to him - he looked super strong when he lapped me just before dawn. Hope he's ok.

Also, to clarify a general thing, I think Bec rode almost all her laps on the rigid SS stumpy - maybe a couple on the (also SS) duallie, but I think the tensioner broke. Mucho respect!

Dreggsy - you don't sleep in your lycra? ;)
i heard true dammaged his retina.. from a crash and was riding half blind for quite a while..

he was giving red racer a race,,,

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
i heard true dammaged his retina.. from a crash and was riding half blind for quite a while..
I had a quick conversation with this guy I think on the last lap. He mentioned he had to go to hospital during the night as a stick had gone in to his eye. He was there for a couple of hours then came back to continue his solo mission.

There is tough, then there is farkin tough. I let him know that he had earned my respect.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a quick conversation with this guy I think on the last lap. He mentioned he had to go to hospital during the night as a stick had gone in to his eye. He was there for a couple of hours then came back to continue his solo mission.

There is tough, then there is farkin tough. I let him know that he had earned my respect.
That was Matt from Ayup.
Definitely a hard man.

cullis

Likes Bikes
Jump

Dude - riding past on my last lap (weary as you are after riding all night) - all I saw was arrows pointing all over the place (sometimes at each other) that confused the hell out of me. I would have hit it if I could have found it :D

I did pump the downramp as instructed though :cool:
Haha - I had exactly the same experience. Coming through there I thought this could be some fun, but was too delirious to figure out where it was. So where was the jump exactly?

mr ufo

UFO MTB Imports
Highlight for me was seeing Batman come out through the campsite climb around 11.30am

Batman was ......

...Paul Smith . A 29 er and single speeder ..

wittman13

Likes Dirt
Show some respect man. the guy rode with one eye until the first aid docs strongly suggested he stop. Good effort in my books!
Sorry. I didn't mean to cause offence, I didn't know he had an injury. I thought it was another timing error as he was smashing the field then DNF'ed. He must be totally bummed.

Hope he gets well soon.

rubikat

Likes Dirt
Knopey - I appreciated all your hard work on the gate and apoalogise yet again for leaving you there.

Volunteering is as hard as riding - many of us gave up our rides to help out (including our event manager who missed defending his 24 HR title. Plus our course manager, our course director....)

that said- we managed this year's event with (significantly) less volunteer staff than previous years.

Thanks to the vollies - you worked hard and I'm grateful you all turned up! :)

Glad to help :) I felt sorry for all the tired people who had to trudge their stuff up, but at least some did it with a massive grin on their face :D

Unfortunately, in my brief stint as volley I am sorry to say there were some absolute selfish arrogant bastards around on Sunday morning and people like that make you wonder "why bother". It's unlikely any are on RB but if they happen to read this - go screw yourselves you self-centered assholes :mad: Think about what you're doing to future events if you turn people off volunteering like you just did.
On the other hand, thanks to the people who said "thanks" :) But so many bad apples made it an unexpectedly horrible experience.

loc81

Likes Dirt
I've been meaning to do a post on here, being my 1st race, but plenty of others have summed up the experience nicely! For such a big event (non riding friends are shocked these things exist) and such a diverse crowd I'm amazed at how well things ran.

My main gripe is that grown men manage to piss on toilet seats at this, and any other event.
Heres some tips:
* In a cubicle? Lift the seat to urinate
* Hold your dick in one hand, and AIM INTO THE F*#KING BOWL
* If this is too much of an issue, sit down

Even as early as Saturday morning most of the toilets were feral, and that shouldn't fall blame to cleaners, but the folks that haven't evolved over the the last several hundred years.

On a lighter note, from a 1st timers point of view I was pretty pleased with "passing" manners on track. Maybe people felt sorry for me being on a 16kg freeride bike. The Khyber paid off in spades on the pork barrel and night laps though- I couldn't describe how much fun it was bombing down Skyline to the non-riders at camp!!