The Fixie Thread

avirusconspires

Likes Bikes
I am interested in pooling some resources together and buying myself a fixie. they look like awesome.

so question, How much will I be spending on a cheapish one and are there any completes or am I going to have to biuld it from ground up.
There are a lot of completes available (cheapest one I've seen is one of the SE's, around $400?) but if you know your bikes and have a bit of spare time, you may as well build one up, as it'd be a lot cheaper. And more fun, really.

Check this out, for example: http://fixed.org.au/forums/index.php/topic,6954.0.html

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your old Fixie Rod:

All done.

KMC chain and FSA Vero cranks off the SE Lager but now with a new black SE 48T chainring, new FSA 110mm BB, MKS GR-9 pedals, Brooks toe clips and cheapo straps.

Tektro cyclocross lever.

Plastic chrome bar end plugs finish her off nicely.

I'm going to keep it for a bit for the Tuesday night rides in the park. She'll be the whore bike for mates who want to give it a go (always great to try something different!). And in a while I'll most likely chuck her up on eBay.

RCOH

Eats Squid
you didn't tell us what colour they were and whether or not they either matched your frame or your components....:p

alexb618

Likes Dirt
black!!!!!! not one single component on my bike is black except the tyres HIPSTER ALERT!!!!!

i will apply an AYHSMB decal to keep the kids happy

Life&Co.

Likes Bikes

Date:
2nd MAY 2009​

Venue:
The Alibi Room - 720 Brunswick St, New Farm, Brisbane.
(www.thealibiroom.com/)​

Time:

Registration @ 6:30pm
Brief @ 7:15pm
Racing @ 7:30pm
Post Race kick on til late!​

BYO:
Bag
Bike Lock
Helmet
Lights
18+ Card (Licensed bar.)
Stamina​

CONFIRMED SPONSORS:

The Alibi Room (www.thealibiroom.com/)
Apartment (http://www.aptmnt.com/home/)
Gear Brisbane (www.gearbrisbane.com)
Brother Espresso (www.brotherespresso.com.au/)
BO Gear (http://brisbaneoutdoorgear.blogspot.com/)

Ride within your limits. No Helmet No Race. Lights essential, its the law.

Any Questions Just PM Me bcos i'm organising it.. :D

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi to all the new people that I don't know... which is probably a whole lot of you.

I live in London right now, and bloody hell are there A LOT of fixies/ss getting around. Especially in the area I work in which is called Shoreditch. Most of you probably have no idea what that means, but it's where all the hipster kids are these days.

I swear I must pass at least 20 ss or fixies on my daily commute. Crazy. So I was interested to know if the same little crazy wave is happening back home.

Looks like it :)

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
^^ Nah, not really, man, they are still a rarity on the roads, though picking up some popularity.

I'm in brisbane, though, probably different in trendier cities like Melbourne.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
I am interested in pooling some resources together and buying myself a fixie. they look like awesome.

so question, How much will I be spending on a cheapish one and are there any completes or am I going to have to biuld it from ground up.
G'day mate,

I got an SE Lager last night, and it is pretty sweet.
It is a very solid bike, and I can't forsee any upgrades to it in the forseeable future.
it was $770 RRP.
Comes with a flip hub, and is just generally very pretty.
you can remove the brakes and also the cable clips and go brakeless if you want.
The SE draft is slightly less pretty and has less awesome cranks, but is still a pretty decent bike for $500, and might be a better option if you were gonna go brakeless anyway (the brakes on it look crappy)

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
Bike1.5.JPG
Bike2.5.JPG
mmm... Shiny....

Too bad I got egged on the way home.
To add insult to injury they did laps and got me 2 times.
I waited for them at a red light with my D lock.
They ran the light when they saw me get out of the bushes.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
I know, they feel so nice to ride, right?

looking at it, you'd think it'd be pretty uncomfortable, but you get it out in the real world and its pretty forgiving.

Only problem ive had is that the seat doesn't quit fit my sit bones.
But I might be able to fix that with moving it back.
(the seat is so damned pretty, I'd have to spend $200 to get another white saddle thats comfy)

I like the changes you've made to yours , but the way this bike rolled off the factory just seems perfect to me :D