The Fixie Thread

Lorday

Eats Squid
Have you run the Zaffiro's before?

I've got a set on at the moment and so far so good, just wondering how they will pan out in terms of wear and puncture resistance...
Ran a pair + a rear for a while. They're pretty goo until they start to wear down, then any form of puncture resistance goes to shit. Coloured ones skid through like a hot knife through butter. Gatorskins are still my fav.

Jaumet

Likes Dirt
Ran a pair + a rear for a while. They're pretty goo until they start to wear down, then any form of puncture resistance goes to shit. Coloured ones skid through like a hot knife through butter. Gatorskins are still my fav.

Yah, I run Schwalbe Duranos Plus, haven't been doing much skidding recently for one reason or another, so i'm happy running them,

but when i go back to lotsa skidding Gators are cheap enough to skid on but good enough to last ages... And they got a funky name yo :cool:

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We seem to be on a post your bike streak, so I shall continue...

Mine in it's current state.

Back to flat bars, and new pedals with BO StrapOns.

Been thinking about getting the frame powdercoated, not too sure on colour, any ideas?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Looking for a small frame (50~52cm) for a bike for my girlfriend. Let me know if you have/see any around for sale.

castillo

Likes Dirt
Don't do it. Presvious statement stands, I like your bike BUT your stem is eye acid.
I love those stems. For the guy asking about Stars wheelsets off ebay, they are the nastiest things you can imagine. Loose bearing hubs and the rims are made from garbage can lids. Facts!

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
whoa... what size is that frame? Whatever it is, it is too small for you.
54cm sq. and i'm 6'4". :p
Discussion currently going on in my PYR thread on fixed.org regarding this, and i'll probably just get a larger frame instead of powder coat.

Lorday, stem is win.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
54cm sq. and i'm 6'4". :p
Discussion currently going on in my PYR thread on fixed.org regarding this, and i'll probably just get a larger frame instead of powder coat.

Lorday, stem is win.
Yeah, good thinking. Don't spend money on something that isn't right for you. I have been down that path and it ends in tears, and I hardly cry... much.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put on a set of Sora cranks yesterday, much nicer than the wide MTB cranks I previously had on...

One question, why are square taper cranks so popular for both fixies and track bikes? I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it, I'd love to know what it is!

Finally running the gear ratio I wanted of 34:14 too :)

Paddyboy

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,
Im only a beginner and just learning about fixie's/ single speeds and I want to do a bit of reserach before I build up my own.

I notice a lot of pics ive seen the bikes dont have brakes. because of the setup, are the pedal brakes like in old bmx bikes, e.g. pedal backwards and the rear locks up. Or are there no brakes at all?
Sorry if this sounds stupid, just trying to learn.

thanks

RCOH

Eats Squid
Hey guys,
Im only a beginner and just learning about fixie's/ single speeds and I want to do a bit of reserach before I build up my own.

I notice a lot of pics ive seen the bikes dont have brakes. because of the setup, are the pedal brakes like in old bmx bikes, e.g. pedal backwards and the rear locks up. Or are there no brakes at all?
Sorry if this sounds stupid, just trying to learn.

thanks
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html

Read everything in the above link, and you will know all there is to know about fixed gear bikes

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I approve too, that rear wheel looks amazing!

That Sheldon link really does have some amazing stuff on it.

Magura

Likes Dirt
Around here you get in trouble with the law, if you don't have a brake, so there you have it.....

The rear wheel is actually quite nice. It is made back in the USSR.
It weighs in around 800 grams, which is lighter than any other disc I've ever seen.

I believe those wheels were made for the USSR national teams back then.

Magura :)

Paddyboy

Likes Bikes
Thanks for that article, was very helpful!!
Do most people run a freewheel setup or go fixed?? I like the idea of having a flip flop hub as you can change it round depending on the terrain you are riding (having different ratio with either side)

Question, I commute to work everyday and and apart from 2 long (not steep) hills, it is flat the whole way and on my mountain bike I maintain around 30kmh pace. I like to go fast as I ride on the road and it is a very busy road so I like to get through the ride as soon as possible. so what cog ratio would be good for me? I like to have a higher cadence then lower so if I was riding at 30-35 kmh I want to be pedalling at a higher rate (not at maximum as I want the option of having a little bit left to go a bit faster when I need to) but say around 90rpm. Does this make sense?
thanks

Lorday

Eats Squid
Thanks for that article, was very helpful!!
Do most people run a freewheel setup or go fixed?? I like the idea of having a flip flop hub as you can change it round depending on the terrain you are riding (having different ratio with either side)

Question, I commute to work everyday and and apart from 2 long (not steep) hills, it is flat the whole way and on my mountain bike I maintain around 30kmh pace. I like to go fast as I ride on the road and it is a very busy road so I like to get through the ride as soon as possible. so what cog ratio would be good for me? I like to have a higher cadence then lower so if I was riding at 30-35 kmh I want to be pedalling at a higher rate (not at maximum as I want the option of having a little bit left to go a bit faster when I need to) but say around 90rpm. Does this make sense?
thanks
Just checking my awesome iphone ap (bike gears), you'll need just about 70GI's to achieve 30km/h at cadence of 90rpm. I run pretty much smack bang on 70GI's and find it perfect. Yu'll spin out like hell down steep hills (like real steep) but be able to smash them to if you got good ticker and legs which aren't oodles of noodles. Slight climbs can be done seated at that gearing as well.

45:17 gears you 70GI's and 17 skidpatches (doubled if you skid with both feet). Maybe try that?