The QUICK question thread.....

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Did you see the price of some of the Wera tools??
$94 for a set of Allen keys when you could buy the same set for 18 euros from Bike Components ($30au) now 21 euros and out of stock.

I dont mind buying local when its near the price, but 3 times is taking the piss.

Yeah 20 euro postage but I'll bet you can save that with a couple of items of consumables.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Now I have my tools I'm attempting to get to the bottom of the gritty feel which seems to be coming from the bottom bracket.

I've removed the chain and pedalled under weight and I still feel it so I've eliminated anything at the back of the bike. I can feel it through two sets of pedals so I imagine it's not pedal related either.

I have an SR Suntour Zeron crankset which is self extracting so my issue is that when I loosed the crank bolt, just a quarter turn later, it gets tight again. It feels as though I'm tightening it back up! I'm undoing it anti-clockwise btw!

So my question is should I force it loose or could there be an issue here?

Minlak

custom titis
Now I have my tools I'm attempting to get to the bottom of the gritty feel which seems to be coming from the bottom bracket.

I've removed the chain and pedalled under weight and I still feel it so I've eliminated anything at the back of the bike. I can feel it through two sets of pedals so I imagine it's not pedal related either.

I have an SR Suntour Zeron crankset which is self extracting so my issue is that when I loosed the crank bolt, just a quarter turn later, it gets tight again. It feels as though I'm tightening it back up! I'm undoing it anti-clockwise btw!

If you are undoing it the right way it will be tight to undo as it’s self extracting- it’s literally pulling the crank arm off (I know what I said ;))

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
self extracting so my issue is that when I loosed the crank bolt, just a quarter turn later, it gets tight again. It feels as though I'm tightening it back up! I'm undoing it anti-clockwise btw!

A self extracting crank bolt should be tight, loosen then go tight again as its 'extracting' the crank from the BB spindle.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

Keep going. The first release is the retainer bolt from the spindle. There's a small gap before the bolt contacts the extractor cap. The crank is on quite tightly, so you do get resistance when the bolt starts to push on the cap, and will take a bit of grunt to release it.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
$94 for a set of Allen keys when you could buy the same set for 18 euros from Bike Components ($30au) now 21 euros and out of stock.

I dont mind buying local when its near the price, but 3 times is taking the piss.

Yeah 20 euro postage but I'll bet you can save that with a couple of items of consumables.

I haven't compared prices on Wera but what got my attention was +/- 4% compared to effetto-mariposa which is +/-2%... I know which I would buy

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Success! I think it was over tightened but it's now off. I found what seem to be solidified grease in there. I thought it was metal at first but it breaks up under pressure.

Now I'm here, can I apply some degreaser to the chainring to clean it (avoiding the spindle)?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Success! I think it was over tightened but it's now off. I found what seem to be solidified grease in there. I thought it was metal at first but it breaks up under pressure.

Now I'm here, can I apply some degreaser to the chainring to clean it (avoiding the spindle)?
New bike

moorey

call me Mia
I tried the cafelatex....it completely sucked for anything other than a pinprick puncture in my experience. I only run it on Felix’s school bike and the wife’s bike. YMMV