Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Seat is ZX6R, swinger is VFR800, bike is a GSXR750 1989.
Carby all the way man, so easy it do, just drilled some holes in them for boost reference and get the jetting right.
With the mods to the carbys they work just like a N/A bike and the fuel pressure is boost referenced too
3PSI more fuel pressure than boost at all times which keeps the carbys under control.
Sounds easier than it is but that's the basics.
Power curve is the line that climbs up to the right, the other line with dots on it is the Air Fuel Ratio. the scale is quite fine so I can see what it's doing. I could change the scale and make it look flat but that tells you nothing.
Power commanders are rubbish, any bikes I've tuned with one I've ended up removing it.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Put a water and methanol tank on it and inject it at the Turbo.
Not a good idea, fine for a car where you have lots of room to have a large tank for it.
Once you run out of water/meth you are in deep shit if you don't notice.
If it was a dedicated drag bike then sure I'd do it, but this is a street bike.

Same with running E85, I could get huge power gains from it but you can't get it at every servo.
The stuff you can get at a servo is shit fuel anyway, it's RON changes depending on the seasons. We've tested it at work at different times of the year and it's never the same.

If you put 98 petrol in a E85 tuned engine It would drown the motor in fuel because the jets are massive for E85

I can get the good E85 for free but it's just not worth the hassle.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Seat is ZX6R, swinger is VFR800, bike is a GSXR750 1989.
Carby all the way man, so easy it do, just drilled some holes in them for boost reference and get the jetting right.
With the mods to the carbys they work just like a N/A bike and the fuel pressure is boost referenced too
3PSI more fuel pressure than boost at all times which keeps the carbys under control.
Sounds easier than it is but that's the basics.
Power curve is the line that climbs up to the right, the other line with dots on it is the Air Fuel Ratio. the scale is quite fine so I can see what it's doing. I could change the scale and make it look flat but that tells you nothing.
Power commanders are rubbish, any bikes I've tuned with one I've ended up removing it.
So it's 'blow through' the carbs?

On the road, does it build power smoothly?.... Or go ballistic at a particular rpm? I guess 10-12 psi isn't too crazy.
Does it do sick Skids?!
Are you covering the rear brake when you open the taps?

My sisters' ex-bf had a big dollar boosted Hyabusa years ago.
He reckoned it was very close to un-rideable on regular roads.
Rear tyre life was measured in weeks.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not a good idea, fine for a car where you have lots of room to have a large tank for it.

Same with running E85, I could get huge power gains from it but you can't get it at every servo.
The stuff you can get at a servo is shit fuel anyway, it's RON changes depending on the seasons. We've tested it at work at different times of the year and it's never the same.

If you put 98 petrol in a E85 tuned engine It would drown the motor in fuel because the jets are massive for E85

Surely in this day and age they would have dedicated bike kits with some sort of safety device or level light rigged up.

latheboy

Likes Dirt

This graph shows power vs boost
4th gear runs
At about 115kph you can see the power curve kick up, this is about 6500 RPM
5000 is where the fun begins, it just pulls and pulls. Fairly stable power and just builds, not like a on/off switch.
It's not a big power bike really, started with 95 at the wheel so only an extra 60hp now.
On a hard launch it'll light it up and go or stand and scare me :)
I love a sik skid and so does the bike, 6th gear WOT till the tyre says enough haha
Always on private roads of course...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

How interesting. I'm keeping half an eye out for alternative fuels for my Kingswood

Flow-Rider

Burner
How interesting. I'm keeping half an eye out for alternative fuels for my Kingswood
It's not worth the drama, if you leave it in a vehicle that sits and it goes off, it will destroy everything. Eats standard rubber hoses and runs very lean. If you haven't converted to run unleaded best to use premium fuel with additives in the tank.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It's not worth the drama, if you leave it in a vehicle that sits and it goes off, it will destroy everything. Eats standard rubber hoses and runs very lean. If you haven't converted to run unleaded best to use premium fuel with additives in the tank.
Yep, it's not all its cracked up to be. I'm more thinking its gonna take me that long to get it done I won't be able to buy unleaded :oops:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ended up buying a 2006 BMW 750i with 86,000km. Two elderly owners, peeeeerfect condition, almost showroom.

Mods for how (once the bank has recovered) will be limited to a new android based entertainment system, some real audio DSP, new amps and new drivers, plus maybe a real subwoofer in the parcel shelf if there is a mod path to take that’s clean. It’s sound system is good but not blow your socks off great. Sounds like 18-20bit dsp to me.

Cruises at 7.2 litres per 100 on the highway, which these days is how I spent most of my time, going opposite Melbourne’s traffic congestion.

Goes like a cut cat if pushed. Impressive for a 2 ton car. Ask me again when I’m pricing up pads, rotors and pzero 275/45/19 how happy I am.

clockworked

Like an orange
That beemer is cool. Are the maintenance costs for those euro cars as bad as everyone makes out, say compared to something else quick and japanese?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cheap compared to an R35 GTR, not sure what else Japanese is quick. Anything crammed full of tech is likely expensive to repair when it breaks. Had some experience with Golf Rs. Hard to track intermittent faults and the codes were nothing to do with the actual problems. Cable into the ecu and the fuse block. The latter is quite common.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Also in the internet age euro car parts are cheap. Beemer parts you’d probably source mostly from the US.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Would never own a German car stuffed full of tech if I couldn’t fix it myself, potentially crippling service costs even via independent workshops. There is a huge online community, and all of the bmw dealer software has been released online.

Parts out of Europe and the USA are not insane.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Would never own a German car stuffed full of tech if I couldn’t fix it myself...
This. Also you've got to remember that a car like that was worth 250k new. If you need to spend a bit of money to keep it running in tip top condition then its not like pouring money into a cheap POS. If well maintained it will always be a fantastic car.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Great score, looks very minty. You shouldn't have to do much with it at all apart from a service and get out an enjoy it.

Now, about the bikes, roof racks or a tow all mount?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk