Rotorburn Leaderboard.

my02

Likes Dirt
I normally squat in Chucks and I've been trying to focus on a vertical shin but it just feels like a good morning at the bottom. I'm going to experiment with technique for the next few weeks and see what feels good.

I have an old ankle injury which may cause problems with dorsi flexion but I haven't tested it for a while.

Squat day today so will play around.

Cheers.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
How come you try to squat with a vertical shin?

I'm heading over seas this weekend for 4.5 weeks, but keen to check out LPC when I get back if you want to lift?

my02

Likes Dirt
How come you try to squat with a vertical shin?

I'm heading over seas this weekend for 4.5 weeks, but keen to check out LPC when I get back if you want to lift?
I was told to get a better squat that you should try to load the hips as much as possible as they were more powerful. When I say vertical, I don't mean literally but more upright.

I tried a more angled shin today with a modest weight. It felt better but weaker. But I think that's probably a mixture of a new technique, a difference between pretty good posterior chain and average quads plus getting the muscles used to moving in a particular way. I'm gunna give it a try for a few months.

Trip to LPC sounds good. Let me know when you're ready.

my02

Likes Dirt
Hit 150kg BP yesterday (very slow at the sticking point).

This means I REALLY need to work on my squat!

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
100kg OHP!!

Blimey having a belt makes a difference!!
Solid! What else is new?

I took 5 weeks off (riding whistler > gym) but have been back at it for about a week. Starting my 6 week body building/mobility period now before I start doing oly full time. Have always wanted to move over to olympic lifting, despite having horrible lifting genetics.

Have been putting in extra time and effort working on mobility this past week (experimenting with bands, different stretches, usual rolling etc). Trying to hit deep (lol) high bar squats every day. I've found that for me, high bar squats are a great stretch in themselves. I've been doing 50kg dynamic pause atg squats to work on ankle and hip mobility.

Funnily enough, I hit a bunch of PR's this week (despite having 5 weeks off!). 180kg hook grip beltless deficit (20kg bumper plate) conventional deadlift in my lifting shoes (extra deficit), 140kg beltless deep (ish) high bar, 95kg no foot power clean, 170 double overhand dead lift.

In addition to the PR's, I'm more excited by my mobility. Everything is a technique PR. Still got some kinks to work out (really pushing for better thoracic mobility, though I suspect a lot of this is down to weak upper body), though I finally have sufficient hip mobility.

Short term goals (by end of year) are:
120kg CJ
80kg snatch
160 ATG beltless
140 front squat

Also considering getting my cert 3+4 as I'm thinking about being a trainer. Have sort of picked up a client at my gym (she works at my gym and has been lifting and studying longer than I have been lifting) which is getting me keen to do it professionally, at least as a paying hobby.

my02

Likes Dirt
My SQ is cack at the moment – I just can’t get comfortable with my technique. I’ve tried all manner of options but I either get sore knees or my lower back goes first. I’ve got a couple more options up my sleeve but it might be time to start looking at proper form coaching. My current bench is now equal to my squat 1rm from the start of the year - thats really not good!!

DL is going well. I was due to re-test recently but work, getting run down and training at 90%+ for a few weeks makes it hard. I’ve also been eating badly and not getting enough sleep blah blah whinge whinge! I’ve decided to back right off to around 60% on all lifts, work on generating a more explosive lift then start to increase the weight by 10% each week until I’m ready to re-test.

Haven’t bothered with my front SQ but might do along with a change in my approach to my back SQ. I think quad strength might be an issue so I’m thinking I will back off the weight and start squatting 2-3 times per week to get some higher reps in there and sort out my movement patterns. It worked a treat with the DL last year.

Good for you re the Cert III & IV. Good for some easy money on the side but I’d be inclined to steer clear of FF if you decide to do some part time PT.

Have you got your north side gym sorted now?

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
My SQ is cack at the moment – I just can’t get comfortable with my technique. I’ve tried all manner of options but I either get sore knees or my lower back goes first. I’ve got a couple more options up my sleeve but it might be time to start looking at proper form coaching. My current bench is now equal to my squat 1rm from the start of the year - thats really not good!!

DL is going well. I was due to re-test recently but work, getting run down and training at 90%+ for a few weeks makes it hard. I’ve also been eating badly and not getting enough sleep blah blah whinge whinge! I’ve decided to back right off to around 60% on all lifts, work on generating a more explosive lift then start to increase the weight by 10% each week until I’m ready to re-test.

Haven’t bothered with my front SQ but might do along with a change in my approach to my back SQ. I think quad strength might be an issue so I’m thinking I will back off the weight and start squatting 2-3 times per week to get some higher reps in there and sort out my movement patterns. It worked a treat with the DL last year.

Good for you re the Cert III & IV. Good for some easy money on the side but I’d be inclined to steer clear of FF if you decide to do some part time PT.

Have you got your north side gym sorted now?
What shoes are you squatting in? I found once I started squatting in lifting shoes I would get sore knees. More ankle flexion = more knee extension needed = more quad activation = tight quads = knee pain. Might be worth stretching/rolling your quads before squats (if you don't already). If it's your lower back it's either a technique or a mobility thing, try stretching your psoas (did the trick for me).

Yeah, I'm not interested in paying $300 in rent at a FF. I'm considering opening a gym with my brother (he has been planning to for a long time) so I would probably just be a strength/powerlifting coach there part time.

I'm at Dee Why fitness first now. It's not a horrible gym. I don't think the PTs there like me there, haha! It's amazing how bad the average PT is. There is a guy there that can rack jerk 155kg, which is the same as his squat 1rm. He is massive as shit with incredible mobility but with no idea how the body works. It's painful to watch... at least it makes it easy for me to look good.

my02

Likes Dirt
My issue has been my technique rather than a major lack of mobility. With my low bar I felt like I was leaning over too far. So I went quite wide which felt ok but then it hurt my knees the following day. I’ve tried narrower but I just can’t get depth and stability. However I’ve had a bit of a play and squatted every day this week so far – nothing silly – only up to 100.

I think I’ve found a sweet spot which means at 100 ish I can keep a decent back angle whilst keeping the bar path over my centre of foot. I’m also hitting (my rock bottom) and getting a bounce out of the hole which feels good. I’m going to practice for another week with the same sort of weight (daily) then start to increase by 5kg each week whilst hitting 5 reps for 2-3 sets (fewer sets as it gets heavier and my PRE increases).

A 155kg rack jerk is impressive! Is he using a double dip or just a knee bend?

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Just on this, static stretching pre-exercise actually has a small yet negative impact on strength. Probably not worth dropping pre-squat stretches over but an interesting read none the less.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1150232/
Absolutely, I haven't done a static stretch in years. Static stretches increase your chance of injury as well. I do dynamic stretches before squats as I literally can't hit parallel without doing it. You need to find a fine line between injury risk and gainz.

my02

Likes Dirt
I do dynamic stretching before every workout.............

......................................I get changed.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
My issue has been my technique rather than a major lack of mobility. With my low bar I felt like I was leaning over too far. So I went quite wide which felt ok but then it hurt my knees the following day. I’ve tried narrower but I just can’t get depth and stability. However I’ve had a bit of a play and squatted every day this week so far – nothing silly – only up to 100.

I think I’ve found a sweet spot which means at 100 ish I can keep a decent back angle whilst keeping the bar path over my centre of foot. I’m also hitting (my rock bottom) and getting a bounce out of the hole which feels good. I’m going to practice for another week with the same sort of weight (daily) then start to increase by 5kg each week whilst hitting 5 reps for 2-3 sets (fewer sets as it gets heavier and my PRE increases).

A 155kg rack jerk is impressive! Is he using a double dip or just a knee bend?
Hows your hip mobility? My ankle mobility is shot from injury so I rely heavily on hips to keep my back as straight as possible. Warming up flexors and the surrounds with prying goblin squats does wonders.

my02

Likes Dirt
My Glutes are a little tight but my issues is more to do with not having the right technique for my body in the first place. I've actually raised where I put the bar. I think it was a little too far down my back previously which was turning it into a quasi good morning. I've found a better technique place now which I'm hoping to work with and fingers crossed I can get up towards 175/180 in a 2-3 months.

I also think I need a break for a week or two just to recover. I keep getting tired or really sore but without getting properly ill (picking up the colds that are currently circulating the office. I might just do some cardio until the end of the month then start off fresh with the weights in August.

ajay

If your squat is heading towards a good morning, I'd say it's pretty indicative of a mobility issue in your hips/ankles, or you're squatting too much weight.

And good luck with the 180 goal. Big numbers:)

Last edited:

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
102.5kg below the knee hang power clean today. Unplanned pr and feel like I have much more in me.. Didn't do any mobility either which makes me very happy that I can safely do it without stretching.

ajay

102.5kg below the knee hang power clean today. Unplanned pr and feel like I have much more in me.. Didn't do any mobility either which makes me very happy that I can safely do it without stretching.
Nice one man! I reckon Hang Cleans are great for really developing your 2nd pull/shrug. How's it compare to your power clean from the floor?

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Nice one man! I reckon Hang Cleans are great for really developing your 2nd pull/shrug. How's it compare to your power clean from the floor?
Cheers! My best power clean from the floor is 105kg. I definitely have that from the hang but that would be close to my max I'd say. Currently doing 6 weeks of body building to counteract all the beers and mountain biking ive been doing lately. After that I'm on a strength period of 6 weeks then potentially 6 weeks of oly lifting.

Keen for 120kg clean, 160 beltless ATG high bar, 100kg power jerk (never trained my jerk and have only done them for shits, so not sure what I could get).