Spear Fishing.

dan-492

Likes Dirt
hey, good to see there are other guys that like spearfishing. i only got my first gun recently, but speared with handspears for a few years. nailed my first fish with my rabitech hunter the other day. only a small bream but still stoked at the time. i admire you guys who build up your guns, seems a daunting task in my eyes. anyway cheers guys

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just packing the car to head to the coast now, will report back in a few days when i'm home!

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was up early friday to dive green island (nsw south coast) vis was crap, maybe 5m, water still cold plenty of fish about although they were all holed up right in under the wash. ended up plugging a few aussie salmon around the 2.5 - 3 kg mark and getting out. also had a whale breach straight in front of us early in the dive and could hear it singing for the next couple of hours.

friday arvo jumped in at the local spot, much better vis but same story again, plenty of fish all holed up in really close. found some good terrain to explore once the water warms up a bit though. had a single dolphin swim around us for a bit on the way in.

jumped in under the lighthouse at ulladulla this morning. 10-15m vis and fish everywhere. easy to say in retrospect but i reckon i could have comfortably had over 10 species off the comp score sheet in the 2 hours i was in the water. ended up taking 2 bastard trumpeter and a thumper blue mowie for dinner tonight. also shot a big ling but was about 2 body lengths into a cave at the time and had to leave the gun behind in favour of breathing. by the time i got back to it an eel had decided it was more deserving and i was left with only the head.

think i'll probably be ordering a few bits for the bluewater cannon in the next couple of weeks before the low dollar starts to impact on prices.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
anybody got any big trips planned for the summer? seriously considering a trip up coffs/swr way, just figuring out a few logistics at this stage but hopefully it will come together eventually!

also VERY tempted to head abck to indo next july during uni holidays but again have a lot to figure out between now and booking anything.

on another note, i'm selling a 145 andre gold series gun if anybody is interested. RRP is 899 with just hawaiian shaft. looking for about 500 with hawaiian shaft + threaded shaft.

hidesy

Likes Dirt
i bought my self a hand spear for $25, took it out the other day and got some king of fish going out again today will post results if any

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
I'm not to sure on the restrictions on "buying" a speargun, or if any actually exist. Having said that, I don't think that Mr speargun seller will sell a speargun to anyone too young, without an adult on hand that is.

You don't need a license to own a speargun, but you need a Fishing license to spear fish - just like a "line fisherman."

Hope this helps, Shorerider.

Grant_VDM

Likes Bikes
I'm not to sure on the restrictions on "buying" a speargun, or if any actually exist. Having said that, I don't think that Mr speargun seller will sell a speargun to anyone too young, without an adult on hand that is.

You don't need a license to own a speargun, but you need a Fishing license to spear fish - just like a "line fisherman."

Hope this helps, Shorerider.
Thanx heaps mate. Does anyone know any good fishing or spear fishing spots around sydney.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Hmm I've always been a bit down on spearfishing.

I'm in the main a technical scuba diver these days, do most of my diving round the Fleireu Peninsula and Mt Gambier, but I used to dive every weekend in Sydney.

Whether it was being missed by about a foot by a spear shot at me and my buddy off Bare Island bommy (He swore it was an accident, but then how do you accidentally shoot at divers?)...

Whether it's seeing them in Jervis and Shelly beach marine reserves...

Whether it's seeing a guy get out with a string of blue grouper (Where's the sport in shooting fish that swim up to you?)...

Or just guys with way more fish than they could possibly eat.

Admittedly I'm not above grabbing a pocket full of scallops if I see them down there, and I'm sure there are responsible spearos out there taking account of size, bag limit and looking out for reductions in catch, but experience has taught me that a disproportinate number are idiots and to stay well away.

Anyway I guess we're all having fun underwater and enjoying the amazing stuff that's down there. So long as we all look after it.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt

I'm in the main a technical scuba diver these days, do most of my diving round the Fleireu Peninsula and Mt Gambier, but I used to dive every weekend in Sydney.

Whether it was being missed by about a foot by a spear shot at me and my buddy off Bare Island bommy (He swore it was an accident, but then how do you accidentally shoot at divers?)...

Whether it's seeing a guy get out with a string of blue grouper (Where's the sport in shooting fish that swim up to you?)...

Or just guys with way more fish than they could possibly eat.

Admittedly I'm not above grabbing a pocket full of scallops if I see them down there, and I'm sure there are responsible spearos out there taking account of size, bag limit and looking out for reductions in catch, but experience has taught me that a disproportionate number are idiots and to stay well away.

Anyway I guess we're all having fun underwater and enjoying the amazing stuff that's down there. So long as we all look after it.

Yes Arete, unfortunately there are a few irresponsible Spearo's around which don't do the vast majority of other "responsible" ones any justice.

Spearfishing is quite unique in the fact that you can just select the fish you intend to take and eat. Unlike line fishing where you catch anything, and everything that'll take your hook. Line fishing is size and species indiscriminate. Some of the unwanted "line caught" fish thrown back often later die due to their injuries, or even infection when the slimy protective coating is removed during handling.

I, and everyone I dive with, are always safe and responsible. Spearfishing is looked down upon. I myself when returning to my car with my catch feel somewhat scrutinized by others around. However it is quite rewarding when those curious about the sport actually approach you and ask you a few questions.

Just like MTB, and other sports and activities, we need to be responsible so that we can continue to enjoy the things we love to do.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
Anyone here bowfish?
Its pretty fun, and a good way to show off my archery skills and my fishing skills at the same time without grossing people out by feeding them goat/deer meat.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt

in a situation like that i personally wouldn't hesitate to call fisheries. sure there many restrictions on spearfishing which i dislike/are unfair but blatantly ignoring them and breaking the law is doing nobody any favours

as above, although it is interesting to note that the ban on taking groper was originally self imposed in spearfishing competitions. doesn't make it any less illegal now though

Or just guys with way more fish than they could possibly eat. goes for all forms of fishing. personally only take what i can immediately use but there is far too many out there who catch their limit rather than limiting their catch. in many (most) cases you'll probably find they are well within their bag limits

Admittedly I'm not above grabbing a pocket full of scallops if I see them down there, and I'm sure there are responsible spearos out there taking account of size, bag limit and looking out for reductions in catch, but experience has taught me that a disproportinate number are idiots and to stay well away. in my experience i would say it's a case of a small but highly isible minority ruining it for the majority

many of the issues involved with spearing are similar to those with MTB trail advocacy where a selfish minority are holding back any real progress and ruining it for the majority. spearfishing groups have been involved in many positive initiatives too. clearing rubbish, 'rescuing' beached whales and one you're probably well aware of, the great australian shark count.

plenty of SCUBA divers who need a good flogging as well.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wats the scene like in the berra?
thinkin of bringin my gear down over the nats weekend."?
Reece
as you can imagine, not a great deal of spearfishing available locally. plenty of guys diving regularly on the south coast though. just be aware of what you are allowed to do and where with the marine park :mad:

Lleyt0n

Likes Dirt
Good to see theres a spearfishing thread thats remotely commented on

Went out to clifton gardens last sunday and got two kingies.

Gave one to my mate cause i didnt want to waste it tasted a treat but.

Keen to do some crayfishing if anyone knows of any spots which i doubt ill get any replys about cause people are normally protective over there

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Went out for a dive last Sunday. Had an absolute ball. Vis was great. Up to 10m in some spots. Ended up with 2 good sized Dusky Morwong - 1 @ 50cm and 1 @60cm, a medium sized Squid, Leather Jacket and a Herring Cale.

Also got a Couple of Abalone. Looked for crays with no luck.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Last edited:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Went out for a dive last Sunday. Had an absolute ball. Vis was great. Up to 10m in some spots. Ended up with 2 good sized Dusky Morwong - 1 @ 50cm and 1 @60cm, a medium sized Squid, Leather Jacket and a Wrasse.

Also got a Couple of Abalone. Looked for crays with no luck.

Cheers, Shorerider.

spearing squid would be fun hahaha

do they spit ink when you spear them?

i havnt been out in a long time.

been doing alot of line fishing instead.