The hardtail riding thread

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, haven't had a bike in a while, but I've moved to uni in armidale and it has given me some new opportunities and riding buddys so i'm looking to build myself a new bike, predominately dirt with maybe a tiny bit of park. This is a brief plan of the bike at the moment I'll mainly be going secondhand and have already got my eye on the forks and frame in the classifieds already, but still open to suggestions of alternatives. Anyone got any things they'd change? or any parts lying around they could sell?

Frame: Absolut commencal
Forks: Argyle 318
Wheels: Something along the lines of rotarys to whatever,
Tyres: Racing Ralphs
Cranks: Shimano SLX or similar where are you located? i may have a set of slx cranks i may not need soon, they may have a helicoil in one side though
Sprocket: Dartmoor Disco
Stem: Dartmoor Funky
Headset: Whatever
Bars: Answer Pro Taper 780 half inch rise black
Brakes: Whatever
Seatpost: Whatever
Seat: Whatever
Pedals: Whatever
but get bmx cranks...

slxs are fairly solid and lightweight, quite a few people run them and have only seen a couple have problems, usually its the spindle on the triple chainring versions, the doubles seem to hold up better.

but, if you are going to use a driver hub, go bmx cranks as its easier to find 22-25t sprockets for bmx cranks.

mitch41

Likes Bikes
Alright, im looking at buying an octane one zircus frame. Has anyone had any experience with octane one or in particular the zircus? Will be used for all kinds of riding from dirt jumps, park, street and also some racing on bmx tracks.

patto_15

Wheel size expert
But it's the exact same frame aha. I did want it... 4 months ago :p And it's not Leaf that are giving me the parts, it's CTN Imports. I don't even know what they'd have. No doubt it'd be old stock that they can't sell. I hate having spares anyway. They just sit there doing nothing when some other person could be using them aha

I'm heading back over on the 15th of May for 10 days! :D
I know it would be super annoying man that you have to wait for the the frame, but I am a team rider and i didn't even get one :( So i envy you so much right now!! haha

The wait is always definitely worth it once you open the box and see the new frame sitting inside ;)

If Matt is offering you parts, check the CTN website and see whats on offer that you may need. In terms of the wait, its out of the control of Matt and Frank at Leaf Cycles. I can assure you Matt will be equally, actually, more pissed about the delayed shipment as i know a few others eager to get their hands on their frames they've ordered months and months ago!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
who is using a 15mm hub over a 20mm hub now?

We've seen a massive shift towards the 15mm ones on the dirt jumps bikes getting around, and a move to 22mm splined cranks from the 19mm.

That and back to 100mm forks, was a massive 80mm movement happening for a few months.

Lastly, 2014, what is everyone planning? the weight battle seems to of dispersed, and wide low bars in fashion with a supershort stem.

Bring on the new season of gear!

patto_15

Wheel size expert
I'm using a 15mm hub currently, but because I'm running 831's which have a 15mm axle.. I also still use 19mm splined cranks.

I never joined the 80mm bandwagon and have always stayed with 100mm.. I don't like head angles being too steep which the 80mm makes steepens everything up.

In terms of bars, i like low bars with a decent amount of backsweep and a medium length stem.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
I'm still running a 20mm, I've only ever run 20s so I cant really compare...

I have joined the 80mm bandwagon... Its ridiculous, and I'm not a fan, its just not enough travel.. So back to 100mm for me. :)

In terms of a stem I've got a Sunline V one which I bought off here, still going strong and looks the tits! and I'm running Dartmoor Nitro bars. I love them but I wish they had more rise, they're a tad too low. bars for me need to be suuuuper wide and low... I've tried risers and i didn't like it.

But on a different note,

For all of you who run brakes, what rotors are you guys/girls using?
I'm running a Jetblack superlite and its just about cactus, so I'm in need of a replacement, what can you recommend?...

Last edited:
80mm felt a bit strange, at 65mm now and it feels awesome. however my fork has a pretty tall a-c height. i still ride trails and do 180s down higher ledges than before without issues. thats being run with a 3.something" bar and 50mm stem. wouldnt change a thing.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have run both 20mm and 15mm. Tbh didnt notice any difference between to 2 on my dj bike. On my trail bike however is an different story.

Pretty much all my dj bikes have always had 80mm travel forks. It started way back when i bought a set of sherman flick and the travel adjust shit itself. Ended up lowering them to 80mm permantely and have always love it. Just bought a 2013 commencal absolut which comes with 100mm circus forks that will be getting the 80mm treatment. Hopefully end up with my HA around 70degrees if im lucky.

i think its more the stanchion diameter that matters. i do notice flex on my old 15mm setup (831), dont have nearly as much on my 36. my dj1 had 32mm stanchions and a 20mm axle and the flex between that and the 831 was about the same.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got my 13' commencal absolut last night. Stock chain was miles to long and had to take a lnk out to slam the wheel abit better. Gead ratio is really hard, will be chucking a 34t on the front for sure. Other than that it is such a dialled bike. Ended up with a large which i thought was going to be to big as compared to all my other dj bikes it was longer in the effective tube length. How wrong i was. This bike is so sick. So far the easiest bike to manual i have owned yet. Also noticed a grub screw uder the bottom bracket, turns out you can adjust how freely the bb spins if your into food tricks. Unfortunatly i shit a brick if my foot even thinks about coming off a pedal mid air so its a wasted feature. Now to do something about the paint. And might leave the forks at 100mm and see how i go.

mlucko

Likes Dirt
Got my 13' commencal absolut last night. Stock chain was miles to long and had to take a lnk out to slam the wheel abit better. Gead ratio is really hard, will be chucking a 34t on the front for sure. Other than that it is such a dialled bike. Ended up with a large which i thought was going to be to big as compared to all my other dj bikes it was longer in the effective tube length. How wrong i was. This bike is so sick. So far the easiest bike to manual i have owned yet. Also noticed a grub screw uder the bottom bracket, turns out you can adjust how freely the bb spins if your into food tricks. Unfortunatly i shit a brick if my foot even thinks about coming off a pedal mid air so its a wasted feature. Now to do something about the paint. And might leave the forks at 100mm and see how i go.
Post up some pics! she sounds like an awesome rig!

astars

Cannon Fodder
i just joined the forums during researching a new bike.

i ended up settling on a complete bike, the Norco two50. its so much fun to ride but i really need to make more time for it.

Attachments

mitch41

Likes Bikes
That's looking very nice indeed, clean lines, good colour way. Well done. How does she ride?
Cheers! I am yet to find out, feels great just in the backyard and up the street, but I can't get out for a ride this weekend, so ill just have to wait and see

yeah the bars are pretty far forward. usually youll run them parallel to the fork otherwise the sweep will feel odd.

since were all posting bikes... got the pride street pretty much dialled geo wise now, 65mm fork and districts with a campagnolo record high profile dust cap

p4pb9876511.jpg

oh, and lhd for crank arms/dusters

Last edited: