Recent content by axertes

1. axertes

TMBC Trail Building Day Next Sunday 11-9-11 12pm

I missed this. Very occasional rider here. Hadn't hit the trails in months so I rode straight from work to Jube on Monday arvo. I was riding down Crebra and saw someone to my right. I nearly had a get-off on the steep gravelly stuff, but at the same time I saw this bloke on a Niner...
  2. axertes

XC track condition

Thanks mate. Well, I guess the buggered road makes it an 'adventure', huh?
  3. axertes

XC track condition

Hi all, any further news on this? Is there road access via Jones Rd as an alternative to riding from Jube?
  4. axertes

Geared hub commuter

Wow that looks like a great idea. If you end up doing it I'd love to see the results.
  5. axertes

XC Tyres

I have nothing to contribute here, but have the mods considered stickying this thread? I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps coming back to it as a kind of reference.
  6. axertes

Recommend me some kevlar beaded 26" slicks for commuting

Yeah I've prolly done 1000km on mine and never had a puncture. Maybe I should stop being a pussy and get tyre levers lol. Like the new wheelset idea, this is also unworkable for the near future as I have about $200 to my name. One day I'll build a sweet commuter. But for now 'pride and joy'...
  7. axertes

That's interesting. I discussed that idea with my LBS guy and he reckoned that because if issues of the spacing of hubs that I might have trouble and have to keep readjusting brakes, derailleur etc. I liked the idea because it would be a great excuse to get nice new rims (I have stock XTC2...
  8. axertes

Hey all. I have some cheapie Innova 26x1.25" slicks for making my XC HT a commuter. Two problems with the wire bead: 1. Bloody heavy 2. I'm spoiled by my kevlar XC tyres and the ease of removing them. Removing the slicks is such a chore, especially when I want to change them over to my...
  9. axertes

Helmets for XC? cool helmet.

I have a Giro E2 (2008 model?) and after about a year of use and absolutely no crashes involving my head, the little bits of plastic that stop the headband to which the tightening ratchet mechanism is attached from moving up and down have both broken, meaning the helmet moves back and forth on...
  10. axertes

Ride to Work Day - This Wednesday

Yeah R2Wing today. And by work I mean Uni. Would be riding the 7kmish anyway, I'm just leaving 2 hours earlier to show support/get breakfast etc., and to represent the MTB contingent among all the roadies.
  11. axertes

The "will someone please kill me" thread

Ugh, have to write my literature review for my thesis, plus a little 1500 word paper (due about 10 days ago), plus another one for Wednesday. Lit review's only like 4 pages, but my supervisor expects a high degree of awesomeness. I discovered this semester that I can fairly comfortably do an...
  12. axertes

Whats the best beer you've had & why?

Nope, not beer.
  13. axertes

Crankskins

I got some of those ebay ones when I bought shiny new XT cranks. They do work, but they seem to be cracking and peeling at the edges after 2000km or so, so I have to cut the crappy bits off with a Stanley knife to prevent further peelage.
  14. axertes

Geared hub commuter

May have found my frame: Second pic is apparently early prototype whence the lack of disc tabs. Despite this build having big tyres and NEEDS MOAR STEM RISE AND SPACERS! it's a CroMo, sliding dropout, crossish bike with disc tabs and braze ons. Might just be perfect for a geared hub...
  15. axertes

Full XT spec Bakfiets

A bakfiets is a type of cargo bike. Bak = box, fiets = bike in Dutch. They're everywhere in Nederlands and Denmark. More typical bakfietsen: