Search results

1. unitec

Sore knee from riding clipped in - pulling up, toe positioning and muscle engagement

Rollers, Rollers Rollers. The problem IMO is that you are attaching your imperfect body to perfectly built machine.What you need to do is to retrain your legs to work correctly. In track cycling we use rollers (not a trainer) to "dyno tune" our pedaling. These rollers consist of 3 rollers...
  2. unitec

abandoned Jumps but should i dig?? ( with pics)

Tread Carefully For abandoned jumps they look pretty fresh and judging by the plastic covers the original builders must have known what they were doing. Also from what you have said you can be pretty sure that it was previously a BMX hangout. Whether you should move in & take over or not IMO...
  3. unitec

Old age dirt jumpers

I guess there were a few awkwardmoments in the beginning. (Some of the younger kids looked at me like I wassome kind of paedophile) Others that went to school with my kids (now in there20's) also found it a bit awkward at first. Now it is all good though I learned very quickly that ifyou don't...
  4. unitec

Old age dirt jumpers

Thanks Matt, The photo looks alright but I am really a bit of a Kook. Didn't start riding anything until I was 40 plus so I am missing a lot of the basic skills. BTW. you also failed to mention my growing injury list. lol I think that there are some lessons to learn about interacting with our...
  5. unitec

I don't think the trails I like to ride exist in Australia.

We need a "like" button on Rotorburn Well said.
  6. unitec

Thinking of buying some acreage next year for my own trails. Thoughts?

Great Idea Like the idea however the logic of making your trail dangerous to keep people off it (the way a lawyer may look at it?) is flawed. My experience has been that the more skills based the riding is the less likely riders are to blame the trail for injuries & as such unlikely to sue. As...
  7. unitec

New technology - Is riding now too easy?

Bigger Crashes I think the improvements in bikes & trails simply allow the riders to ride faster & take on bigger risks. It is true that it is allowing a lot more whimps to enter the sport however for the riders that don't mind having a go these improvements are resulting in bigger crashes...
  8. unitec

Why do cyclist insist on breaking the law?

Relevance of the law Although the road rules are meant to be followed by all users both the roads and the road rules have been designed primarily for the motor vehicle. So much so that the road rules are pretty much the only thing stopping cars from bumping into each other. Think about it...
  9. unitec

How to keep DJ's together

Water, Water & Water Water when you build, water before you ride & water during your ride. If this doesn't work you are using the wrong dirt. Also try to make your lips as thick as you can so they hold more..... (you guessed it) water.
  10. unitec

Dont want to buy a bike, yet, but still want to DJ

Sorry to sound so negative. When someone turns up at my local DJ track without a bike I am always the 1st one to lend them mine. Unfortunately the result is always the same. The rider is always put way outside his comfort zone (partucularly with DH riders) and as it is a risky one off situation...
  11. unitec

Dont want to buy a bike, yet, but still want to DJ

Don't bother I think you have already talked yourself out of it. The first thing everyone finds when they try DJ is that they aren't as good a rider as they thought. Half the people deal with this by giving up straight away while making the excuse that DJ isn't for them & the other half...
  12. unitec

An Open Letter To Chain Reaction Cycles

What Local Industry?? I am often given the guilt trip by my mates that work for bike shops & importers however what I say is that the "industry" died years ago. Once upon a time we did have a real bike industry where talented Aussy craftsmen actually made bicycles however the bike shops &...
  13. unitec

Camron park BMX/MTB free ride park

Maintenance If you look carefully at many of the you tube videos you also will see that the riders maintain the jumps before they ride. It's true that councils are not DJ experts & don't always get it right but the most common cause for public DJ's failing is lack of maintenance and lack of...
  14. unitec

Need some help arguing with my parents about letting me ride DH

It won't happen again? I would be presenting them with your plan to prevent this happening again by:- 1. improving your bike skills. (ie dirt jumping, pump track or skate park work etc 2. Improving your fitness which also improves your brain function (i.e crash less) 3. Never shred when you...
  15. unitec

Your Fav trail building tool

Technology Good one. Most people that ride our local trails find that a keyboard & interweb connection way better than any garden tool. You can use them all day without getting a sort back or blistered hands. With all this rain in Sydney this weekend I think I will stay in doors & rebuild all...
  16. unitec

[Advocacy] Shooting wlecomed to NSW National Parks...But not MTBs

Thin edge of the wedge Mountain bikers should take their share of the blame for this decision as we were part of the push to knock down the barriers to national parks. National parks have been locked away for a reason & if we are prepared to knock down these barriers we should unsderstand...
  17. unitec

Oxy falls.

Please go to Facebook Could we PLEASE close this thread & take it onto Facebook or face to face as it's making us all look like dickheads. Our trails will only ever be as good as our community so lets start building some community
  18. unitec

Wiseman ferry dirtjumps

Ha Ha Ha !!!.......And the council will send a team of dirt jump experts to groom the track before you ride. Better get out there for a ride before the place falls a part due to neglect.
  19. unitec

Wiseman ferry dirtjumps

Gaps Undoing this misconception that gaps are dangerous is a tough battle that we need all riders education & support to win. Many people don't realize that the most dangerous spot on any jump is at the bottom of the lander not the gap. In fact the gap is a safety feature that:- a) Provides a...