Search results

1. Cypher

Bike NSW board nominiations are open. Please nominate me

Bike NSW board nominations are open and I would like your help to get elected. If you are a Bike NSW member you can sign a form to nominate me. I need 5 signatures from members. Why should you do this? Bike NSW is the biggest cycling body in NSW. Way bigger than MTBA (of which I would like...
  2. Cypher

Clean fill: why can't I get any?

So there are heaps of adds on gumtree etc but danged if I can get any soil for my backyard bike track. Is there a trick to it? Should I get my (male) partner to call these people up? No one returns my calls. I don't have a truck so I need delivery of about 5 tonnes. Sigh
  3. Cypher

Concussion

I fell off my bike about 4 weeks ago and I gave my head a solid whumping with a resulting concussion - no loss of memory (unfortunately I was aware and felt every damn thing). (I saw a doctor and got a new helmet) I've been having low achy headaches reasonably continually since that time...
  4. Cypher

Fee for pump track designers

I find that I have managed to aquire a large backyard (~250-300m2) which I detest mowing the grass for; the yard slopes steeply. I'd like to give my partner (and myself!) a present of a pump track. Yay!* How much would it cost to get someone in to design a pump track? Who are the companies or...
  5. Cypher

5.4m long pallets available free! Canterbury NSW

Hi Guys, I have two 5.4m pallets (about 50cm wide) which could do with a good home. They would make an excellent elevated trail across a small ravine. The wood is untreated, so it would need to be treated or you could just have fun for a season. It would be great if you could pick it up as...
  6. Cypher

Australia is not the litiginous society we fear it to be

I thought some of you might find the below interesting. It is centred on school yard play, but has many parallels to mountain biking and land owners being cagey about being sued. Apparently people sueing just doesn't happen all that often. And if does, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be...
  7. Cypher

Bigger forks

What are the considerations if I replace 80mm or 100mm forks with 120mm on a frame? I'm looking to get a 29 inch MTB bike for commuting (mostly) but also as an alternate trail bike to my dually. The women's offering are crap and generally come with 80mm or 100mm fork. Yes, I know the...
  8. Cypher

Child trailers for single track

Has anyone had any experience with child bike trailers on single track? Which performed best? I've been looking at a range of trailers, but they are all quite wide (the two wheeler versions). I'm pretty sure they don't suit single track. I've thought about a bob trailer - one comes with...
  9. Cypher

Yellowmundee trail day - when and where to meet?

Does anyone know when the trail maintenance day at Yellowmundee starts and where to meet? WSMTB club don't have the details on their webpage and I haven't received a response to my email. Thanks!
  10. Cypher

Rider survey - 3 month results

The rider survey has been going for three months now and I thought you’d enjoy an update with some interesting statistics... You can check out the 1st months results here Accidents Since January there have been 208 recorded rides where 800 people have ridden. Cross country is by far and...
  11. Cypher

Rider survey – 1 month results

The rider survey has now been running for one month. I now have about 15 contributors – 11 of which regularly contribute. However I need many more for this survey to be robust. Please join in! Especially if you do DH, are new to MTB, are female or young. But I definitely need more...
  12. Cypher

Blind corner single track bell ring design

For those of you who know it, the Royal National Park has some good bits of fast, curvey single track - which can be ridden in both directions. Just recently I rode there and my mate nearly had a head on collision with a fellow coming the other way - at high speed. As an aside, this fellow...
  13. Cypher

When do you like to ride?

I'm running a survey and census to check how much demand there is for trails and how risky they are. My goals is to collect data that will allow various people to write to various organisations that have money and land who will build trails for us. So far I have quite a few XC/All mountain...
  14. Cypher

IMBA Slope/Trail building guidelines

Could someone jot down what the IMBA guidelines are for trail building on slopes? I'd like to know what the categories are - for instance a 3% slope you need to put in x features, for a 10% slope you need y. Also do people prefer their slopes expressed in percents (such at a 50% slope is...
  15. Cypher

Help the MTB Community - ride more

Mountain biking suffers from a lack of good data to support our validity as trail users. This is a survey that will track a number of riders over 6 months to see what sort of accidents, mechanicals and other riding behaviours we have. Please email me if you would like to be involved at...
  16. Cypher

Awesome. Proof that bikes are faster than cars

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/12/07/3086655.htm This will make calculating realistic travel times and bike speeds for bike travel maps a lot easier (yes I do that for part of my job)
  17. Cypher

Lucas Heights/Menai Trail building

I looked for a trail building thread for Lucas Heights/Menai, but could not find one. I realise that riding in this area is of dubious legality, but what is the go with fixing trails? I was riding out there on the weekend. Many of the trails have become severly eroded during the recent heavy...
  18. Cypher

MTB trail management and evidence based policy making

The attached table is a review of selected plans of management and other sources that deal with reporting on sport participation rates and/or management of mountain biking trails (I'll be adding to this table as I review more material). The “details” column is a commentary on if and how mountain...
  19. Cypher

What XC trails are currently free of the Magpie Menace?

Are there any trails around Sydney that are free of swooping maggies? I'd like to go for a ride without getting my ears sliced. Sounds like Mt Annan is out. I was swooped near the carpark at Appin. Is that magpie still working that area?
  20. Cypher

The downhill adventures of Cypher...Round 5

This is my last post in this series (awwww). As the weather gets hotter it is time to hang up the armour and stop pushing that darned heavy bike up a hill. Don’t get me wrong – I’ll get the squishy bike out now and then, but the downhill season has pretty much ended for me. A big thanks to...